Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2013, 07:18 AM   #1

Sigma 17-70mm strange beep while focusing

Hello!

I was wondering is it normal that lens sometimes makes strange beep-kind sounds while focusing? AF pressed half down. The lens is brand new Sigma 17-70mm C and camera is K10D. It doesn't happen every time focusing, sometimes it locks focus quietly. No other lens I have (e.g. 18-55WR, Sigma 50mm F1,4 etc...) behaves the same way. I suppose Sigma 50mm has the same kind of HSM motor and I know what that sounds like in similar situations...

Of course it could be some settings issue on the camera but since it happens only with this lens, I don't know can it be... Anyone else had similar experiences?

11-25-2013, 07:22 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does the beep sound like a digital noise, though a speaker? Or is it more of a mechanical sound that just happens to sound like a beep?
Because Pentax cameras do have a "beep when AF confirm" option. I turn off all sounds on mine, so I'm not sure, but if you check the menus for keywords like Sound, Volume, and Beep..
A reason why it could sound with this lens and not others could be AF settings, like AF.C, AF.S, MF.. some lenses have an AF button on the lens, so different lenses can essentially have different settings.
11-25-2013, 07:34 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for quick reply! I would say it's more like a mechanical sound not a clear beep, but I may be wrong. Actually it reminds me about those occasions with some lenses when the focus ring couldn't move (in AF mode) because it was accidentally pressed against a tree etc... But with this Sigma, the ring can turn freely. Thanks, I'll check the menus at the camera when I'll get home and try to turn the sounds on, just to check what that option sounds like... Are the setting lens specific, meaning that could I have different ones for different lenses?
11-25-2013, 08:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

My first copy sigma 17-70 made strange high noise 'beep' sometimes when focusing. There was also other problem, lens was not able to focus low light at all. HSM motor was broken allready as new, I did get another copy and that is fine.

Toivottavasti auttaa.

11-25-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Is it the newest version of the Sigma, with HSM focusing? If so, "silent" focusing is not entirely silent. My 60-250 sometimes emits a low volume, high-pitched noise when AF is active. It might be the same thing.
11-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Heijastus Quote
Hello!

I was wondering is it normal that lens sometimes makes strange beep-kind sounds while focusing? AF pressed half down. The lens is brand new Sigma 17-70mm C and camera is K10D. It doesn't happen every time focusing, sometimes it locks focus quietly. No other lens I have (e.g. 18-55WR, Sigma 50mm F1,4 etc...) behaves the same way. I suppose Sigma 50mm has the same kind of HSM motor and I know what that sounds like in similar situations...

Of course it could be some settings issue on the camera but since it happens only with this lens, I don't know can it be... Anyone else had similar experiences?
Sounds like you might want to get the lens replaced as it shouldn't be making any sounds. Either that or it's not fully compatible with the K10D, but I doubt that's the case.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #7

Original Poster
Kiitokset Joojoo2010! I think your copy's symptoms sounds familiar! Mine is the new C version of 17-70mm but I don't think that's the typical HSM noise it makes. Perhaps it's time to send it for repairs/replacement, as suggested. I actually called to local maintenance, and they suggested me to send the lens and the body for evaluation. I was surprised that when they said that Pentax mount is quite rare but perhaps Canon/Nikon/etc. are really so much more common...

In many threads there is a lot about the quality issues with Sigma, so we'll see is it the same case this time...

Btw, as a new here, I have to say thanks for you people in this forum! Lots of really useful information here! :-)