Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-28-2013, 11:18 PM   #31
Veteran Member

I'm not sure you need to have money to burn to buy LR. It's only $150 at full price (less right now). It used to be $300 and was still worth it, IMO.

11-29-2013, 01:22 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I'm not sure you need to have money to burn to buy LR. It's only $150 at full price (less right now). It used to be $300 and was still worth it, IMO.
$109 currently on Black Friday special
11-29-2013, 01:45 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
Everybody will urge Lightroom ....... I tried it and hated it so I am back to using FastStone .....
Plus one...
Have a look at Raw Therapee if you want more
11-30-2013, 08:15 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Lenorehig... My original post was given taking into consideration that you stated you are new to Dslr use and you are new to post processing ...Lightroom, Elements, CS6 etc. are great programs and one should eventually be using one of their choice. Still my thoughts are before you try to master two things at once to spend more time learning how to use your magnificent camera then try to master two learning difficult learning curves at the same time. I state that because if your learn your camera and how to properly use the exposures it will put forth then very little post processing should be needed unless you are trying to take the correctly exposed photo to more creative art in nature. Given you are new I still think before you go spend money on software to process you load what came with your camera or whatever is free and try it while you are learning to use your camera. If you feel the need for something else than download the trial versions and try them until you find one your comfortable with then buy it.

Why? Because once you step into the realm of digital post processing just as in film developing there is a lot more that comes into play and learn than just the processing software, especially if your planning to print your photos. Remember this if you have done nothing to your monitor it is mostly lying to you in what corrections you see and have adjusted, the exposure you are seeing isn't what it will print. it will be ok for those photos you upload in srgb for the web sites you upload them to but if your monitor isn't the right type or calibrated and you aren't aren't using the correct color profiles for whatever printer and paper coupled with proofing them then your photo will not print the same as what you are seeing a majority of the time. I will mention this also if you do send any photos out to have them printed, the minute you use the "color corrected" selection then you can throw your post processing out the window.

To be honest sometimes I think its simpler to run down to your local Rite Aide, CVS, Walmart or whatever with your SD card and post process and print right off of it because once it hits your computer processing then the work and fun begins to get it right. Post processing for print, just as it is/was for film developing is an art within itself that takes time, patience and the equipment to learn to do it and have it come out the way you want to have it.

Just my thoughts others may have opposing thoughts and that's fine.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 11-30-2013 at 08:24 AM.
12-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
@Oldbayrunner- I thoroughly agree that proper colors with a non-calibrated monitor is a crap shoot. And forget software-only tools as they depend on your brain not lying to you (it always does); you really need a hardware based calibration tool.

That said, so long as you shoot in RAW, any of Adobe's tools that include ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) have a white balance tool. So long as your scene includes something in the primary lighted area where all three color channels (RGB) are equal, you will achieve good color balance with one click - and once you have done that, leave it there no matter what it looks like on your non-calibrated monitor. Photoshop, Photoshop Elements and Lightroom all use the same ACR code.

As for printing at home.... Unless you want to spend big bucks to calibrate your inkjet printer for the specific ink and paper you prefer to use, stick with the manufacturer's recommendations for both ink and paper. Yes, it will cost you more than the generic supplies. But the manufacturer has supplied drivers already color calibrated for its own supplies.
12-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Getting back to the question about faststone, it's amazing for browsing, and has increased its editing capability in recent years. However I think it still lacks feathering for selections, an important feature for most images.

The problem I have with many editors is that they need to import the image into a database, using a large amount of storage space for each image. Faststone keeps a tiny database that it generates upon first encountering an image, my only objection being that it's not position-independent. So if you change the mount point for a filesystem containing the image, faststone ends up regenerating its database (which is small, but takes a long time to generate.)