Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2013, 09:20 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
No, I'm not a professional. While I've had my Pentax for a while, I'm just now deciding to venture out from camera jpegs to raw. There are some pictures from our Halloween Disney trip that went awry that I can't save because I shot jpegs. I also didn't take NEARLY enough of the family members that came with us.
It's not my intention to be derisive. The style isn't even my concern. It's that nearly EVERY picture of my youngest child is completely washed out. Is that the right word for it? How am I supposed to print for grandparents with these? Fortunately, I can take some pictures myself. My little models will just have to suck it up! They'll have to bring a couple "nice" shirts to Disney!

12-05-2013, 06:37 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
No, I don't think it is just you. I wouldn't want to print these images for grandparents either. $40 is really inexpensive for images, I would also do as others suggest and just learn from the experience. Recently, we had some images taken by a photographer. We haven't had images taken in a long time as a family and I had been following the work of a couple of photographers and only made an appointment after I had seen many images from this particular photographer and I really appreciated the photographer's style. It cost a lot more than $40. I think something to be aware of when paying someone to take family images is to make sure that you like their style and that you've seen enough of their images to know that is what you like. Be careful that they aren't just someone who bought a fancy DSLR and suddenly call themselves a photographer and start a business taking family/baby/child portraits. There seem to be a lot of people who do that these days.

I like your idea of taking some images at Disney. You could get some wonderful portraits and candid images that would look great and that the grandparents probably would love more than what you got on the CD you received from this particular photographer. Be sure to bring along a nice prime.
12-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #18
Veteran Member

These are pretty poorly done and, for the most part, badly blown out. The photographer should have filtered or shaded the strong sunlight coming in from over head and done a better job of filling in with flash.

That said, I don't think they are a complete loss for sending a few to grandparents. Not professional portraits but snapshots they will love. You just have to do a little work to make them usable. That is, assuming you have the full-res images. I spent about 5 minutes fooling around with the horribly low-res file I grabbed from your on-line archive and got this. It would have been better with the full-res file, the Jpeg artifacts are pretty bad. You just have to decide to do the work.

Last edited by abmj; 12-05-2014 at 01:25 PM.
12-19-2013, 04:45 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here I am better late than never! I looked at the photos. I think about 1/3 turned out well enough to be able to clean up and play with. The ones that are blown out and or have horrid flaring!! Good looking crop of children by the way. My point of this is, there is no reason you can't do a better job than that. A little practice, nice flash (on or off camera) and a mind to the sun! A better photographer than me once said it is all about light. Learn to control the light and great things can happen. I do the kid's senior portraits(cuz I'm cheap) and according to my wife they turn out very well. And all I have used is a K100D and an old program flash. She wouldn't lie either! So if I can you can! here is a link that will help to show what can be done:Strobist: Welcome to Strobist. Good stuff that can be adapted to anything!!
Happy hunting,
Joel

12-19-2013, 05:08 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
That good looking crop of children adds more gray hair to my head every day! And their daddy! He's almost as bad as they are!
12-19-2013, 08:24 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
... He's almost as bad as they are!
That's what dads - and granddads - do. Its our job.
12-19-2013, 08:57 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I, lovingly, refer to him as my 6 foot tall 2 year old.
12-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I, lovingly, refer to him as my 6 foot tall 2 year old.
That's not what my wife calls me!