Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #16
Site Supporter

I have seen that several times, especially in my field cameras for real estate.... one blow with the Giottos rocket blower and it's all good again...

12-04-2013, 12:58 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe this wasn't a good idea, but when I noticed some spots on my sensor (on the first day of a vacation no less), I ordered a blower and the sensor cleaner made by the guys who make the LensPen. (Yay amazon prime - it was there the next day). The blower didnt get rid of the spots, so I very gingerly used the sensorkleen or whatever it was called, and that did the trick. Haven't had to use it since, but it has a permanent home in my canera bag.
12-04-2013, 02:37 AM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I have had good results using the Pentax (somewhat overpriced) o-ick1 cleaning kit. Somewhat annoyingly, I had some dust in my K-3 within about the first week.
12-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have it pretty easy since I change out the sensor on my camera every time I load a fresh roll of film.

12-25-2013, 10:03 PM   #20
Forum Member

I had a similar issue where I managed to get some schmutz on my K500's sensor, probably while changing lenses, but I failed to see the results until I looked at the pics on my 27" monitor. They were only visible with the pretty blue sky background.
I gently blew the schmutz off the sensor no problem, and the pics I wanted to save were cleaned up with Photoshop Elements 10 using the clone tool.
Simple.

BTW, when you're changing lenses, keep the camera body pointed mostly down and don't be in a windy / dusty area.
12-25-2013, 11:40 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I use medical grade q tips with isopropyl alcohol (90%) to clean all of my sensors including that of my 645d and Leica M8. It works great. If persistent I take it work and use my surgical loupe to inspect it. After alcohol dries up, give it a blower push to get rid of q tip hairs although with medical grade q tips that will not happen that often.
12-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
After alcohol dries up, give it a blower push to get rid of q tip hairs although with medical grade q tips that will not happen that often.
Yep, but you really shouldnt use regular q tips, because those can leave a lot of hairs behind. Just saying this in case anyone is thinking about it, as an "easier" option
12-26-2013, 07:57 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Yep, but you really shouldnt use regular q tips
Well like I said I use medical grade q tips that I steal from work. I believe they can be purchased at medical supply stores...

12-26-2013, 07:59 PM   #24

This dust can be easily removed. Just get a blower for the sensor.
12-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Use one of these. Giottos Rocket Air Blower - (Large) 7.5" AA1900 B&H Photo
No canned air, it will spray gunk on your sensor.
Bit of an urban myth, really. It's actually not all that easy to find someone who has actually damaged a camera with canned gas. I know, I tried a couple of years ago, and the closest I got was someone who was talking to a person who overheard someone in a camera store talking about their friend's camera. Not sure if that counts as reliable.
People have kittens for this, but I used canned gas for routine cleaning of cameras, lenses, darkroom equipment and film since I took the hobby up, and I continued to use it when I transitioned to digital on the theory that if I can clean something as delicate as film with the stuff, I should be able to clean a hunk of plastic and glass with it. So far, no problems, and I've been using DSLRs for 10 years now.
12-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
People have kittens for this, but I used canned gas for routine cleaning of cameras, lenses, darkroom equipment and film since I took the hobby up, and I continued to use it when I transitioned to digital on the theory that if I can clean something as delicate as film with the stuff, I should be able to clean a hunk of plastic and glass with it. So far, no problems, and I've been using DSLRs for 10 years now.
I have also used canned air for years to clean all manner of delicate gadgets with no adverse effects. However, I have also had the cans spray 'gunk' (probably just water) at times if I let the can get too cold, sprayed with a near empty can or accidentally sprayed with the can tipped over sideways. At no time has that caused more than an elevated heart rate. But because I have seen them spray gunk I hesitate to say it is a good practice to use canned air on a camera sensor.

If you spray correctly, and everything works right I feel sure it will be just fine. But if something goes wrong? I would not hesitate to use canned air myself or to tell someone I trusted as having good sense to do so, but I hesitate to say it is a good practice on an internet forum where I have no idea who might see it and use the product without taking proper precautions.