02-10-2014, 08:01 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you using Spot focus?

02-10-2014, 08:28 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Are you using Spot focus?
yes, the only choice I have is Spot and nothing else (recall that with the paint removed, I cannot set the AF to anything at all)

M

---------- Post added 02-10-14 at 10:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
EDIT: Do you have enough light reaching the meter?
Do you have the AF/MF switch on the camera set to AF, and to AF-S in menu?
  • This is in bright light.
  • Camera body is set to AF.
  • As stated previously: with the paint removed, I cannot set the AF to anything at all.

Michael
02-10-2014, 10:58 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Michael, I think you should start from scratch with the settings on the camera first, to make sure that's in order...do you have any other old, metal based K mount lens that you can use to ensure the settings are correct and working? Once you are sure it's working then you can add the Nikkor lens, eliminating the camera as the problem.
If the camera is working as it should using CIF, but not with the Nikkor as it is now, then obviously you have a problem with shorting the contacts correctly, and the we can take it from there...

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
There is another catch. You cannot set AF mode without an AF lens lol. Basically, you need to set up CiF while you have an AF lens (like the kit lens) and then you exchange the lens. If you have a non-AF lens, the AF options box in the Info menu will always be greyed out, so you cannot switch between AF.S and AF.C. But some cameras have a physical switch for this.
I think this is very important....
02-12-2014, 07:22 PM   #19
Pentaxian

so I simply attached the old Nikkor directly to the new K-3 (metal to metal) and I get the same behavior: While I can set the focal length, I cannot set the AF. And because I cannot set it to AF-S, there is no possibility of CIF. Ah well. Sad but now I am going to attempt to use Astrotracer with this old Nikkor 180mm. Should be interesting...

Michael