Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2013, 11:39 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Catch In Focus

Please could somebody help me to get CIF to work on my K5-II and Pentax DA 55-300mm ED lens.

Here are the steps I followed:
- Taped a piece of foil over the Data (gold) pin on the lens mount
- Mounted the camera onto a tripod
- Switched off the image stabilisation setting on the camera
- Set the camera to AF-S
- Set the camera to AV mode
- Confirmed that MF mode was on by looking in the view finder
- Enabled the CIF setting on the camera
- Plugged in the remote cable shutter release
- Set the focus setting to auto focus points (not spot or select)
- Aimed the camera at a test subject and manually focused on the subject until I heard a confirmation beep and saw the green focus icon
- Pressed the remote shutter release and locked it
- Waved my hand immediately in front of the subject
- The shutter did not go off, as expected, but I heard the camera beep continuously

What am I doing wrong?

11-30-2013, 11:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Drive mode on continuous?...
12-01-2013, 12:26 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manacho2005 Quote
Drive mode on continuous?...
Yes, that is correct
12-01-2013, 01:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

CIF only works with DA lenses that have both AF+MF setting on the lens, and that is set to MF...The DA55-300 don't have that...

Found this on DPR, might try it...http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3198530
"YOU CAN USE IT WITH ANY LENS. JUST SET AF-S, THEN USE YOUR FINGER TO PUSH DOWN THE LENS-RELEASE BUTTON AND.. YEEEAH! THE FEATURE IS HERE!
Ok, camera motor rotates wildly, but you just use your hand do focus. When camera detects focused image, it starts shooting.
SIMPLE.
And on K-5 remember to set AF priority to LOCKED focus otherwise it takes pictures even without being focused.
-- hide signature --"

Last edited by altopiet; 12-01-2013 at 01:47 AM.
02-08-2014, 09:25 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

grrr... still having troubles with my new K-3 + Chinese Adapter + Nikkor 180mm f/2.8.

grrr... still having troubles with my new K-3 + Chinese Adapter + Nikkor 180mm f/2.8.

Goal: CIF in macro mode

Current settings: Continuous shooting mode, Use Aperture Ring enabled, and CIF enabled the menu.

So, after removing the paint from my Chinese adapter, I now get focus confirmation, but CIF still doesn't work. This is likely because with the pins all shorted out, I can no longer set my AF mode to anything (i.e. neither AF-s, AF-c, or AF-a). Note that when the adapter had its paint, I could set the AF mode, but focus confirmation wouldn't work.

What's the solution here?

Michael
02-08-2014, 10:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Getting catch-in-focus to work is a black art, but the K-5/K-5II manuals say it doesn't work in AF-C mode, just AF-S. If you are stuck in that mode, CIF won't work.
02-08-2014, 11:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Two things. Some cameras only allow CiF with AF set to AF.A or AF.S, others have different rules. Please check your camera manual, it should explain that part.

But! I think the problem in this case is the lens. For CiF to work, you must have AF enabled on the camera body (the AF/MF switch) and AF DISABLED on the lens. So this works great for lenses that are manual-focus only. And it works for those lenses that have an AF/MF switch. The problem is that most modern lenses no longer have an AF/MF switch (I think only the ones with a lens motor have this nowadays).

Simply put, DA L 18-55mm, DA 35mm, 40mm XS, DFA 100mm WR, etc. do not allow CiF. And I think that lens you are using won't allow it either. Unless you find a way to disable the AF connection on the lens (like a piece of metal in front of the AF pin on the lens, or an extension-tube or TC). I agree, its too bad that this is the case, but I guess that is just how it is hardwired in current cameras.
CiF is also impossible with lenses that don't show the contacts, which means that even some full manual lenses do not allow CiF (like, if their mount is anodized and non-conductive). Or if the lens is too narrow to cover the contacts (most notably, some Takumar and Soviet lenses with genuine m42 adapter. But if you use a conductive adapter with a collar/flange, CiF will work)

Edit: Oh yeah, you could try the "lens release button trick" - essentially you release the lens (maybe rotate it a little), but you keep it on the camera. By releasing it (not locking it fully), you make the lens "manual" and CiF will be triggered if the contacts are shorted (might not work with plastic mount lenses). But I think you will lose lens ID, and you run the danger of the lens coming loose and falling off. Depends on the scenario if that is likely to happen.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 02-08-2014 at 12:06 PM.
02-08-2014, 12:07 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Unless you find a way to disable the AF connection on the lens (like a piece of metal in front of the AF pin on the lens, or an extension-tube or TC...But if you use a conductive adapter with a collar/flange, CiF will work)
well, with the paint removed from the aluminum adapter, what I am effectively using *IS* a "conductive adapter" (basically a metal extension tube as you say) -- as I clearly stated: all the pins are now being shorted out. Clearly BEFORE I removed the paint, I was able to set the AF mode. Clearly AFTER I removed the paint, I was not able to set the AF mode. As such, it is reasonable to assume that "some" of the pins should be shorted and "other" pins should not be shorted.

So the question is: does anyone know which pins should be shorted and which pins should NOT be shorted????

Thanks!!
Michael
02-08-2014, 12:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

There is another catch. You cannot set AF mode without an AF lens lol. Basically, you need to set up CiF while you have an AF lens (like the kit lens) and then you exchange the lens. If you have a non-AF lens, the AF options box in the Info menu will always be greyed out, so you cannot switch between AF.S and AF.C. But some cameras have a physical switch for this.
02-08-2014, 12:19 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
You cannot set AF mode without an AF lens lol.
Not true!!! I was clearly able to set AF-S mode when the adapter was painted (i.e. no shorts)

Any other theories?

Thanks!
Michael
02-08-2014, 10:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
Not true!!! I was clearly able to set AF-S mode when the adapter was painted (i.e. no shorts)

Any other theories?

Thanks!
Michael
Please supply images of the lens back, adapter front and back, and everything mounted together on the camera.
02-09-2014, 11:24 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is a very simple setup as described earlier:
  1. Chinese aluminum Pentax K to Nikon F adapter
  2. Nikkor 180mm f/2.8
  3. Pentax K-3

Goal: CIF macro.

Problem statement: with paint, I can set AF-S but no focus confirmation. With paint removed, I get focus confirmation, but cannot set AF mode at all.

Michael
Attached Images

02-09-2014, 12:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

It is a very simple setup as described earlier:
  1. Chinese aluminum Pentax K to Nikon F adapter
  2. Nikkor 180mm f/2.8
  3. Pentax K-3

Goal: CIF macro.

Problem statement: with paint, I can set AF-S but no focus confirmation. With paint removed, I get focus confirmation, but cannot set AF mode at all.

Michael
Is the adapter to lens mounts metal on metal as well?

Edit: I mean are you sure that everything from the lens to the mount is of a material that is conductive, and will allow proper short of contacts?
02-09-2014, 12:23 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Is the adapter to lens mounts metal on metal as well? Edit: I mean are you sure that everything from the lens to the mount is of a material that is conductive, and will allow proper short of contacts?
Without a doubt both sides are (now) pure metal on metal. But it shouldn't matter what the lens side is -- after all, there is no communication whatsoever between the Pentax and the Nikkor.
The only thing that "communicates" (so to speak) are the pins to pins -- either they short out (which they clearly now do since the behavior is totally different once I removed the paint) or they don't.

Michael
02-10-2014, 06:54 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Without a doubt both sides are (now) pure metal on metal. But it shouldn't matter what the lens side is -- after all, there is no communication whatsoever between the Pentax and the Nikkor.
The only thing that "communicates" (so to speak) are the pins to pins -- either they short out (which they clearly now do since the behavior is totally different once I removed the paint) or they don't.

Michael
Shorting all the pins is fine, if that is done properly, it should be the settings. I don't have the K-3, but can't see it changing... my K-x and K-30 are the same....Is that the only lens that you have, that you can use with CIF, any other M lenses, just to see if you have the setup correct for CIF, and make sure it's not a settings problem?

EDIT: Do you have enough light reaching the meter?
Do you have the AF/MF switch on the camera set to AF, and to AF-S in menu?

Last edited by altopiet; 02-10-2014 at 07:44 AM.