Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #16
Pentaxian

I'd suggest either one of the 18-200+ lenses, or a wide zoom compact of some sort.

But how to carry the camera might be as important as the camera/lens combination. You can't use a shoulder/neck strap, unless maybe it's some kind of harness configuration.

12-01-2013, 06:14 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
In 8 trips with my K-x, I've not used any sort of harness. True that I don't have it hanging off my neck the entire day.
I plan to buy her a nice strap that's more comfortable than the manufacturer supplied one. I'm looking for a "sleeve" type case so that she can put one lens on, toss it in her hipster bag & go.
Since I bought myself the 35mm & the 50mm, my next lens purchase will be a kit lens replacement. I haven't decided which lens, so I'll probably rent the various ones available until I decide which one is my favorite.
12-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
In 8 trips with my K-x, I've not used any sort of harness. True that I don't have it hanging off my neck the entire day.
I plan to buy her a nice strap that's more comfortable than the manufacturer supplied one. I'm looking for a "sleeve" type case so that she can put one lens on, toss it in her hipster bag & go.
Since I bought myself the 35mm & the 50mm, my next lens purchase will be a kit lens replacement. I haven't decided which lens, so I'll probably rent the various ones available until I decide which one is my favorite.
Not sure what a "hipster bag" is, but if you mean a waist pack, that would be good. It just has to be something firmly attached to the body with no flopping around. I use a waist pack myself, but at disney you'd need to be careful when inside some of the stores, because the bags stick out about 9 inches from your side or back if you wear it there.
12-02-2013, 04:35 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
For this trip, would it be wise to set the K-x in Auto or Program & let her go? She & her brother will be splitting off on their own in the parks.

12-02-2013, 06:21 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you want to go to Disneyland specificly to shot photos and sharpen camera skills, then some more advanced settings would be fine.

But if you're going to Disneyland to have a good time and just want to be able to take some quick shots without much worry, then auto or program might be best. It all depends on her skill level and familiarity with the camera.
12-02-2013, 06:50 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
She & her brother will definitely be riding, but she does enjoy taking pictures. (They rode Big Thunder Mountain 30 times in February.) She's been begging me for a "real" camera for a while now. She did have an ANCIENT Kodak Easy Share. I think it was a 3mp camera, that's how old it is.

My husband and I will be resort hopping & taking pictures of the Christmas decor.
12-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I may be a bit late on the decision process. But hey better late than never! My pick would be the 28-80 FA. I find myself leaving the kit lens in the bag and going with slightly longer for most out and about. Seems I always want just a little more reach than the kit gives without going super tele.
Anyway have a fun and safe trip!!
Joel
12-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
No, you're not too late! We leave the 7th or 8th. (I work the night of the 6th, so when we leave largely depends on how I feel!)

12-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #24
Veteran Member

No, you're not too late! We leave the 7th or 8th. (I work the night of the 6th, so when we leave largely depends on how I feel!)
I feel for you! we pulled a stunt like that taking our daughter to school in Chicago. Take one day off and Drive 12+ hours round trip, then back to work the next! So how far away are you from the promised land?
12-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
525 miles from home to "home"!
12-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #26
Veteran Member

525 miles from home to "home"!
Strapped into a car with teenagers for five hours!!!!!
12-02-2013, 05:38 PM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
That's what drugs are for. Me, not them. Benadryl knocks me out.
12-02-2013, 05:55 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

That's what drugs are for. Me, not them. Benadryl knocks me out.
Spoken like a true traveling parent!!
12-02-2013, 11:23 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
They're good kids & we're down to Disney pretty often, so it's a drive they "know". They're 14, 13 & almost 12. We've been going to Disney at least once a year since 2008. We're at 9 trips in 6 years, counting this one next week.
12-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
She & her brother will definitely be riding, but she does enjoy taking pictures. (They rode Big Thunder Mountain 30 times in February.) She's been begging me for a "real" camera for a while now. She did have an ANCIENT Kodak Easy Share. I think it was a 3mp camera, that's how old it is.

My husband and I will be resort hopping & taking pictures of the Christmas decor.
Sounds like a fun trip! (Big Thunder is down for refurbishment, so let the kids down easy)
It's also the Disney Candlelight processional Sat & Sun night, so you need to get a spot early in the day if you want to see it and have a good spot for photos.
I'll be there Sun and I shouldn't be hard to find. I'll be the only other one in the park with a Pentax among a sea of Canons & Nikons.