Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tamron 17-50 origin - does it matter?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi

I just found a link that sells this lens for around $300 but says country of manufacture is China (not that I avoid made in China, just that lots of debates online got me confused) while the one from b&h and Adorama all have a price tag of $499.
Has anyone used the former, I would like to buy this unless there are any serious quality issues someone had noticed.

Thanks
Sany

12-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Many Tamron lenses are assembled in China, but some (and I think the 17-50/2.8) are still made in Japan. It's possible the ad just copied and pasted this information from one to another...
If it has the same warranty, and works for you, there won't be much of a difference.

Around here people debate "Made in Japan" vs. "Assembled in Vietnam" all the time, but I've yet to see a difference between them, except in resale value to those who want the older lenses. Go to Nikon or Canon folks and the same debate comes up about lenses from one place or another. Heck, how many lenses with the Zeiss name on them were made in Japan (when people thought Germany vs. Japan was a huge leap in quality)? What about Leica lenses? Some of the best were made by Leitz in Canada, of all places!!
12-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

$300 for a Tamron 17-50? That sounds a lot lower than I've ever seen a new copy of the lens. If it says, new, I would check the seller's reputation. I don't know of any quality differences between the two locations, but I would assume any company worth its weight in salt would ensure that adequate quality assurance standards and practices were put in place no matter where they manufacture their product.
12-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I wonder if (A) the "country of origin" doesn't refer to where the lens is sold rather than made and (B) if this isn't a "grey market" product that would leave you with difficulties if you need warranty service. Usually, if something seems too good to be true, it is.

12-02-2013, 10:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@spodeworld, yes it is on eBay with 100% seller rating and member since 1999. Seller name ibuyjp, if you happen to buy leave a piece for me to buy as well

Ta
12-02-2013, 11:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I can't vouch for the eBay seller at all but the price of this lens on Amazon Japan is ¥22,000 which is about $215. They don't ship internationally. Below is the link

http://www.amazon.co.jp/TAMRON-大口径標準ズームレンズ-AF17-50mm-ペンタックス用-APS-C専用/dp/B001...n+17-50+pentax
12-03-2013, 03:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Could this have been sourced from the amazon Japan!? because this as well ships from japan and for warranty we need to only send it back to Japan.

Also now I am noticing in Amazon (not amazon.co.JP) there are lots of Japanese sellers selling around the same $290 pricing.

Now I am really confused!

One thing is clear I can avoid buying the used glass from the marketplace here for $270.

Moreover, personally I think Amazon is no better a safe place as well. There are equally the same kind of cheats as you would see in eBay. I purchased a lenovo last week from amazon and when it arrived the display was defective contrasting to the claim.

Last edited by sany; 12-03-2013 at 09:43 AM.
01-23-2014, 03:43 PM   #8

I bought the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 for NIKON from another ebay seller (camera_seller_ss_japan) similar to the one referred above (ibuyjp) for $299. I found out when I received it, that it is made in Vietnam, although as I 've known about this model from what is available in my country and elsewhere, this is marked as "made in Japan".

I contacted the seller again asking whether the lens is manufactured by the same standards imposed by Tamron in Japan and he answered somewhat vaguely that this lens may be manufactured in Asia in general and that it is of the same quality.

What I 'd like to add is that while in the case of the models suitable for Pentax and Canon one of the sellers (ibuyjp) clearly states the "country of manufacture", none of them includes such information in the case of the "NIKON model".

Worrying thoughts started coming to mind until I read the relieving posts of some of the experienced members here.