Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #1

K10D and sensor movement

Hello, I have acquired a second hand K10D and am learning to use it. There seem to be two problems that perhaps I could get some help with. The first is that when I frame up a picture in the view finder and then take the image, the image seems to be adjusted down cropping off the bottom of the image. Its like looking through an older camera where the viewfinder is above the shutter causing some parallax. What might be the problem?

The second problem is that when I set the camera to B and press the shutter I can hear the sensor moving like its going through the dust removal process. This happens whether or not the image stabilizing system is turned on or off. Is this normal and could this be part of the problem of the image mismatch between the viewfinder and the sensor records?

thanks in advance for advice and information.

12-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by edesigner Quote
The second problem is that when I set the camera to B and press the shutter I can hear the sensor moving like its going through the dust removal process. This happens whether or not the image stabilizing system is turned on or off. Is this normal and could this be part of the problem of the image mismatch between the viewfinder and the sensor records?
This is normal. The SR system has to stay on to keep the sensor locked in place.

Hello, I have acquired a second hand K10D and am learning to use it. There seem to be two problems that perhaps I could get some help with. The first is that when I frame up a picture in the view finder and then take the image, the image seems to be adjusted down cropping off the bottom of the image. Its like looking through an older camera where the viewfinder is above the shutter causing some parallax. What might be the problem?
The K10D's viewfinder doesn't have 100% coverage, so you won't see the extremes of the frame through the viewfinder.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-02-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
To answer the second problem first - When the power is off, the sensor floats free in its mount and you can hear it moving around when you move the camera. When SR is engaged the magnets will keep the sensor stabilised. When SR is off, the magnets are still engaged, but they hold the sensor still in the middle.

On the first point, if you are loosing the bottom of an image it may be that the sensor is being allowed to settle too low in its mounting. Best way to test it is to moun the camera on a tripod, aim it at a target and release the shutter with a remote and two second delay. Check the output file with what you see in the viewfinder. Remember hat the K10D's viewdinder does not show 100% of the image captured by the sensor. According to the User Manual it only shows 95%.

Regards

Chris
12-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #4

Original Poster
Maybe I didn't explain the problem correctly. What I am experiencing is that the sensor does not capture 100% of the image seen in the viewfinder. If I line up the top of the viewfinder with a grid and make sure that the entire grid is seen in the viewfinder, the captured image shows less of the grid than what I saw in the viewfinder.

12-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
Pentaxian

lens distortion correction has this effect
12-02-2013, 08:27 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I remember a lot of K10D complaints about a tilted viewfinder. The owners would get the horizon parallel with the viewfinder bottom edge, but have an image with an angled horizon. A series of "it's just you" posts followed, then shots of K10Ds in a mirror, then grumbling about service.
12-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

This should not be the case. The viewfinder should be showing less than what the sensor captures.

Perhaps the best way to check this is to place two tape measures as a target. One vertical and one horizontal. Read the measurements from the viewfinder (or mark the extent of the viewfinder on the tape measures) and then check the photo that is taken. The photo should contain 5% more image.

With regard to the later comment about distortion correction the K10D does not have this feature in its firmware.

I've never heard of it displaying less.

Also set the file format to either RAW or 10M jpeg. These should both have dimensions of 3872x2592 pixels according to the K10D manual.

Regards

Chris
12-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I have owned a K10D for over six years and it definitely should not be cropping off part of what you see in the VF. As others have said, you should see more in the image than you saw in the VF as it does not show 100%.

You have not indicated your location but it looks like it needs to go in for servicing.

Last edited by rayallen; 12-02-2013 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Typo.
12-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Maybe I didn't explain the problem correctly. What I am experiencing is that the sensor does not capture 100% of the image seen in the viewfinder. If I line up the top of the viewfinder with a grid and make sure that the entire grid is seen in the viewfinder, the captured image shows less of the grid than what I saw in the viewfinder.
You are getting less on the capture than is present in the viewfinder? That is indeed unusual and would indicate that something is wrong. Out of curiosity, is this true for both the rear LCD preview and the final image on the card? Bad flash card perhaps?

Steve
12-03-2013, 03:01 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I had a similar problem when I first got my Samsung GX-10 version of the K10D. The top part of the image that I could see in the viewfinder would be missing in the actual shot, almost as if the camera was actually pointing slightly lower than it looked in the viewfinder.

In my case, the solution was just to take the focusing screen out and put it back in again. Guess it must have become slightly misaligned somehow.

It's an easy thing to do, just needing a steady hand and a pair of tweezers, so it might be worth a try. I followed the instructions on the Katzeye website. http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/files/install5.pdf
12-04-2013, 04:51 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You are getting less on the capture than is present in the viewfinder? That is indeed unusual and would indicate that something is wrong. Out of curiosity, is this true for both the rear LCD preview and the final image on the card? Bad flash card perhaps?

Steve
Thanks for all the information and suggestions. Going to check that the focusing screen is correctly seated and then use the tape measure suggestion to find out exactly how much of the image is missing or is shifting. And if that doesn't take care of it, off to the repair shop for a thorough check.