Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davids8560 Quote
Why can't I see raw photos in bridge but not windows explorer?
Assuming you mean you *can* see them in bridge but not explorer, install the DNG codec from Adobe. It's painfully slow (and I had to install it twice) but then you can preview RAW images in Windows Explorer.

12-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleC Quote
Assuming you mean you *can* see them in bridge but not explorer, install the DNG codec from Adobe. It's painfully slow (and I had to install it twice) but then you can preview RAW images in Windows Explorer.
Yes, in windows explorer my raw files are only white rectangular icons, not previews.
12-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #18
dms
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The color profile is something you specify. The raw image doesn't know about color profiles.

I somewhat disagree with earlier post about using sRGB. If you only intend to use for internet/display using common software--you will have to (should) adjust the photo for sRGB.

But for your own viewing and printing (e.g., in camera raw/photoshp) sRGB has significantly less ability to handle the higher light levels--thus if you expose to the right sRGB will often blow out highlights that are OK with prophotoRGB or adobeRGB (the widest/most capable is prophotoRGB).
12-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So you're recommending k-5 with DNG RAW + AdobeRGB, in my case?

Thanks.

12-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use DNG and have never had an issue.
As far as Photoshop, when doing pixel level and layers editing I use Paint Shop Pro X6 from Corel. 98% of Photoshop's tools and much easier learning curve. X6 version seems to be very stable, a problem with previous versions. Not a single lock-up or error in months.
12-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Use DNG. There was a time when the PEF files were quite a bit smaller than the equivalent DNG files, but at this point they are the same size and DNG is better supported.
12-03-2013, 08:06 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

This is good, as long as you realize that setting a color space on the camera is only directly relevant for jpegs. Color space doesn't apply to Raw files; you configure your software to establish a working color space and then you export the image (using LR) or save as (CS6) in the color space appropriate with your requirements.
LR uses a variation of ProPhotoRGB; CS6 I set for ProPhotoRGB. I export or save images as sRGB for web output or outsourced printing; AdobeRGB for my own printing.

ProPhotoRGB is a theoretical color space--no one can see a color difference as monitors and prints are so far unable to discriminate all those colors. Having the widest gamut, it is the best as a working baseline.

M
12-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Why can't I see raw photos in bridge but not windows explorer?

Also, when I bought my adobe stuff I had absolutely no idea what was going to happen in less than a year, the start of CC.

I suppose I would have done cc had I known, but now I sort of feel like I got ripped off, or wasted $2,000, at least...

Though the Adobe software I now own seems to work just fine.
You can view them in explorer with this codec.

Adobe - DNG Codec : For Windows : Adobe DNG Codec 2.0 : Thank You

12-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
This is good, as long as you realize that setting a color space on the camera is only directly relevant for jpegs. Color space doesn't apply to Raw files; you configure your software to establish a working color space and then you export the image (using LR) or save as (CS6) in the color space appropriate with your requirements.
LR uses a variation of ProPhotoRGB; CS6 I set for ProPhotoRGB. I export or save images as sRGB for web output or outsourced printing; AdobeRGB for my own printing.

ProPhotoRGB is a theoretical color space--no one can see a color difference as monitors and prints are so far unable to discriminate all those colors. Having the widest gamut, it is the best as a working baseline.

M
Where in PS will I find the option to choose the space?

Thx
12-03-2013, 09:14 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Where in PS will I find the option to choose the space?
Edit>Color Settings
Then you can use one of their presets or create your own custom one or more.

Working Spaces>RGB: will offer you different color spaces. Do not confuse these with the numerous profiles (for monitors and printing papers and devices) that may also appear in the drop-down list.

M
12-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In Photoshop CS5, Adobe Camera RAW has what looks like a web page link at the bottom of the page with the color space information. You can just change it to something else, then when you open the image in Photoshop, that's what you're working in. See the big green arrow:

In Lightroom, it's more complicated. By default, LR uses ProPhoto as a working space. You can change that in Preferences. You can Export in other spaces. I am probably missing the other six ways to change color space.

I don't like the underscore in the file name, and if I ever shoot a JPG it's destined for the web, so my camera is set to sRGB.
12-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
In Lightroom, it's more complicated. By default, LR uses ProPhoto as a working space. You can change that in Preferences.
Not quite accurate. In Lightroom it's more simple because it only uses the MelissaRGB color space (a linear version of ProPhotoRGB). You cannot change this. You can change in the export dialog box, however, what color space the image is exported with. This fits in with the workflow model of Lightroom.

M
12-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #28
Site Supporter

Thanks.
I'm similar to @Miguel. I shoot DNG and use Adobe's color space. My post processing software is all Adobe (more often than not, Photoshop Elements - it is a nice cross between Lightroom and full-blown Photoshop). Since PSE is going to use Adobe's color space internally anyhow, I figure I might as well minimize color space transitions. I often save my final jpeg images as sRGB - especially if I am printing directly from Windows or sending size reduced images to the web or emailing to other.

My K-r gave me an option for PEF versus DNG, but with the K-30, Pentax opted to only support DNG. So, I didn't even have to rethink my past practice after upgrading. I don't know if PEF support was reinstated with the K-50 or not.

One more note about the sidecar issue... Yes you eliminate the extra file if you use DNG and Adobe software. And the next time you load that DNG, it will load with whatever changes you made. However, the original untouched RAW file is still embedded and you can tell Adobe Camera RAW (ACR) to switch back to that original image should you wish to do so. But if I know that I may be developing a DNG image differently for separate uses, I will store the original and make a copy in another folder, then open the copy in PSE's editor. It saves that 'reset' step, and allows me to save my variations.