Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
12-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Are we "old school?"

I ran into this CNN photographer and he looked at my K-5 and said, "So, Pentax! You're an old school kinda guy, huh!" He had a D300E.

So! Are we considered, "Old School?"

Just wonderin'!

12-03-2013, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There's no school like old school, and I'm the f***ing headmaster. (C) RocknRolla
12-03-2013, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by davids8560 Quote
I ran into this CNN photographer and he looked at my K-5 and said, "So, Pentax! You're an old school kinda guy, huh!" He had a D300E.
D800E* (not 300 )

And retort: "So, Nikon! 24% stock dive, huh!"

In all seriousness, I'd have to know the tone he said it in. If it was condescending, then his loss for shuttering himself from even considering Pentax, as is the case often times. Slowly but surely that wall seems to be getting chipped away at and I see Pentax being recommended more often, even in the Nikon/Canon obsessed DPR.

But regarding 'old school' ? Pentax is surely considered as such to some because of its backwards compatibility and ubiquitous availability of film-era manual glass (and cheap too!). But I chose Pentax in 2010 when I got my first DSLR and have never regretted that decision. Because of my due diligence arriving at what best fit my needs as opposed to flocking with the others towards C/N, I consider myself enlightened, not old school

-Heie
12-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

(y)

You guys & gals who get it, well, you know what school you are .

12-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
D800E* (not 300 )

And retort: "So, Nikon! 24% stock dive, huh!"

In all seriousness, I'd have to know the tone he said it in. If it was condescending, then his loss for shuttering himself from even considering Pentax, as is the case often times. Slowly but surely that wall seems to be getting chipped away at and I see Pentax being recommended more often, even in the Nikon/Canon obsessed DPR.

But regarding 'old school' ? Pentax is surely considered as such to some because of its backwards compatibility and ubiquitous availability of film-era manual glass (and cheap too!). But I chose Pentax in 2010 when I got my first DSLR and have never regretted that decision. Because of my due diligence arriving at what best fit my needs as opposed to flocking with the others towards C/N, I consider myself enlightened, not old school

-Heie
I guess you could say he was mocking me, but in a laughing, friendly sort of way...

And I guess I chose to go with the Pentax K-5 because there's something about it that makes me want to use it. If that makes any sense.

Last edited by DavidSKAF3; 12-03-2013 at 06:55 PM.
12-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by davids8560 Quote
Are we "old school?"
I can only speak for myself on the matter... well I'm old and I did go to school, albeit a long time ago, so I guess the answers yes.
12-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Why didn't you tell him "No, I'm SMART!".

12-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #8

I got the same "old school" response from a friend, and she even thought my K5 is a film camera...(well I hope so somehow ;-))
12-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #9
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would take "old school" as a compliment. There are things that "old school" appreciates that the chattering classes will never catch up on. I say that with a nod to Giklab's signature line while I wait for an opportunity to try out my new (old) Zeiss Biometar 80/2.8 on the K-01 (trivia point - Frank Glencairn used that lens when filming Indiana Jones and the Spear of Destiny). I think the combination would do that Nikon guy's head in!
12-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mythguy9 Quote
I got the same "old school" response from a friend, and she even thought my K5 is a film camera...
This is what I'm wondering. Did he think it was a film camera? A lot of folks aren't even aware that Pentax makes DSLRs. I had the owner of a camera store argue with me about it. I guess he thought I was too stupid to know whether I was shooting digital or film. I was looking at their used Pentax glass when we started talking about it, but I was there buying Minox film, so that should have told him something.
12-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #11
KGH

Its the same all over. I work with several pro photographers, we use Canons on the job, and most of the others do in their private work. When I begin to talk about Pentax to any of them, and benefits of the brand, their eyes begin to gloss over. I can only imagine what they are thinking to themselves. They listen and tell me how nice that is and move on. Some have been pros since film days, and as I was informing one old timer that Pentax does make a 645 digital, and it was a little over what he paid for his Canon 5d mkIII and two L zooms, I started to notice that eye glazing as I described the medium format look, then I mentioned it had a 40mp sensor, not even the biggest selling point to me for medium format, his eyes snapped back and he said "Wow that's a lot". Its funny how marketing gets really ingrained into people.
12-03-2013, 05:44 PM - 1 Like   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
A lot of folks aren't even aware that Pentax makes DSLRs. I had the owner of a camera store argue with me about it.
That would be so funny. Trolling a storeperson in front of his/her boss haha.

Yes my friend did think my K5 was a film camera (probably because I mounted a M-lens), until I surprised her with the LCD screen

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
I would take "old school" as a compliment.
Totally agree with that. I still constantly surprise my colleagues with sharp photos of moving subjects using manual Takumars, they are always surprise when I tell them it's just a $20 old lens result. I guess Pentax users sometimes show that skill matters more than gear (so much for Nikon's "pure photography" huh? I think they stole our motto haha)
12-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I would think any dslr is obsolete technology. A bit like being a steam engine train buff.
I notice 'young' people (if not using their dreaded iPhone) mainly using sony NEX, then micro 4/3 then Fuji. I feel pretty ancient when I look through a little viewfinder these days.
12-03-2013, 06:19 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mythguy9 Quote
Yes my friend did think my K5 was a film camera (probably because I mounted a M-lens), until I surprised her with the LCD screen
Tell them with a straight face... "Yeah, it's a film camera, but Pentax has introduced a unique, world's-first in-camera digitizer. And Ricoh has recently introduced a new module to get more than 400 shots from a roll of film."

Pentax: Revolutionary Old School.

- Craig
12-03-2013, 06:34 PM - 1 Like   #15

Yes, Pentax is old school, with a great mix of modern technology. Apparently Nikon has picked up on its appeal.