Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
12-03-2013, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Which School?

Actually, I'm not surprised. I've had similar comments made to me twice, both times by young people. In neither case did I feel it was meant as an insult, in fact one time (by a young woman, who was part of a street scene I was photographing) it was followed by the statement 'I love that look!'. The other time a fellow (early 20's) said 'I'm glad they kept that style.'
It's taken me a while to understand exactly what they meant, but after noticing a few subtle design cues on the K-7 through K-3, here's what I've figured out. Most newer DSLR's (Canon and Nikon, particularly) have the slope-shouldered, heavily rounded body style, absolutely devoid of any hard or straight edges.
In auto design, it's called the 'soap bubble' or aero design, smooth and flowing, all contoured.
Now, look carefully at a K-7, K-5 (series) or K-3.
Notice that, from the pentaprism to the top deck, there's no 'shoulder'? The top deck is absolutely flat, horizontally. The shutterbutton/grip is sloped forward, but not 'sideways' as on many other cameras (again, no shoulder). This geometric or hard-edged contour is mirrored by the blunt sides, top and especially,front of the pentaprism. Put more simply, it's a 'box'. Not a bubble.
Even an earlier model, the K10D, has a slightly shouldered pentaprism-to-top-deck form, but is done in a squat, muscular style, heavy-looking and purposeful.
So I take these comments as compliments to a maker that is firmly rooted in history, legacy and tradition.
I wouldn't have it any other way!
Ron

12-04-2013, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #17

Just wanted to say that it's not all young people. I'm 25 and just purchased a K-50. It was all the features I wanted, none of the fluff I didn't. Maybe I'm an old soul....
12-04-2013, 07:47 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually I seem to get some sort of hipster street cred for lugging around vintage Pentax gear, the newest bit of my kit is the K20D itself but its essentially hidden behind the older glass so people aren't quite sure what I am using when they see me focusing a camera.
I frequently seem to outclass all the new folks trucking thousands of dollars in gear around with my little brown bodied K1000 loaded with Delta 400 B&W, my A35-105 F3.5 lens and a vintage camera strap that matches the camera. The brown body seems to baffle people though, everyone thinks they only came in black.
Everything else when compared to it just looks like a pretentious "look how great a photographer I am" attempt by someone with a high credit card limit.
Kinda funny but with the Super Program people who don't know anything about cameras always ask me how many megapixels it has.
Its odd that the little custom things, like having my light weight tripod over my shoulder on a rifle sling, makes me look like I have much more experience than I really do.

For the record I stick with Pentax because I am a manual everything person and with a Pentax DSLR on M mode and all my A series lenses its the best of both convenience and complete manual control.
And I'm old school.
12-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #19

Old school? Don't know. I consider Pentax an 'underground' kinda thing.

If Pentax wanted to shake up the market. They should make a Leica FF knockoff. (affordable $2000 or so, true rangefinder)

12-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ilovemypentax Quote
I consider Pentax an 'underground' kinda thing.
Like LaurenOE's recent "Underground" surprise!!

P.S. - don't let the laments about Ricoh in the early posts fool you - once she gets the K3 Lauren is over-the-top happy, even if she did gaffer tape the Ricoh.
12-04-2013, 10:39 PM   #21

I'm "Old School" as well. I prefer old used MF lenses, especially Tamron Adaptall-2s on my K20D in M. When I use the few AF lenses I own, they are used manually as well. I have noticed the cheaper AF lenses will usually AF "Within the Ballpark," but not crisp. I am usually able to get a crisp focus manually and faster. Has anyone else experienced this?
12-05-2013, 06:22 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Among the reasons I chose Pentax was the ease of manual use and control layout. So yes, if knowing how to use the camera's settings makes us Old School then so be it. Wear that with pride, then check whether their camera is in full auto mode.

Last year I was taking some impromptu portraits of a co-worker at her request - down on the lakefront, very nice - and after looking through the viewfinder quickly changed modes and settings. 'You're the first person I've ever seen adjust settings on a camera.'

12-05-2013, 06:44 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
D800E* (not 300 )

And retort: "So, Nikon! 24% stock dive, huh!"
Taking this from the comments of that article: "I hope that this is just a wake up call for Nikon to step it up." ... I guess unhappy guys are in every brand
And there are quite a lot of comments like that in there... heh...
12-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If not for the earthquake in Japan and the tsunami that followed (which caused massive delays in the D800E's introduction), I'd be shooting Nikon right now. Instead I got a 645D because of it's IQ compared to what was available at the time of purchase from Nikon and Canon. Quite frankly, I wouldn't then or now give Pentax with their APS-only lineup a second thought.
I think pros don't use Pentax because Pentax has never really put out a full range of equipment that is better than Nikon or Canon. Not to say that they're stuff is 2nd rate, but N/C have so much of the market share that you'd be an idiot to shoot with Pentax while the guy to the right/left of you has a FF camera with faster focus, more FPS, and better glass. When your livelihood depends on getting the shot, then I'm sorry, but Pentax isn't the way to go.
12-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FrankC Quote
If not for the earthquake in Japan and the tsunami that followed (which caused massive delays in the D800E's introduction), I'd be shooting Nikon right now. Instead I got a 645D because of it's IQ compared to what was available at the time of purchase from Nikon and Canon. Quite frankly, I wouldn't then or now give Pentax with their APS-only lineup a second thought.
I think pros don't use Pentax because Pentax has never really put out a full range of equipment that is better than Nikon or Canon. Not to say that they're stuff is 2nd rate, but N/C have so much of the market share that you'd be an idiot to shoot with Pentax while the guy to the right/left of you has a FF camera with faster focus, more FPS, and better glass. When your livelihood depends on getting the shot, then I'm sorry, but Pentax isn't the way to go.
You make a very sensible, compelling argument!

I have been into photography for about 12 years now. Mostly bridge cameras. I knew they were toys, more or less, and so I tried to get into DSLR's a few times now. Started with a D70. Then an XTi and a T3i. Picked these cameras mostly from reviews. I liked the Nikon's output especially, but the D70 never "talked" to me, if that makes sense. Then one day I won a K-7 for like next to nothing on eBay. I knew nothing about Pentax. But I won this K-7 kit just by chance, and when it arrived in the mail and I took it out and powered it up I guess I really just liked it a lot. And I think I had it about a week before I realized I would prefer and be better off with a K-5. So I sold the K-7 for like three times what I paid for it and got a K-5. And I find the K-5 really somehow sort of "talks" to me. I know that sounds bizarre I suppose. But there is something about it that makes me want to use it, and deal the hassle of carrying it around, and finally learn how to use a DSLR. It's more engaging than the other DSLR's I've tried and lost interest in. Purely esoteric, I know. Nothing to do with FPS or sensor size or whatever. The main reason I figured the K-5 would be better for me is because of its low-light performance being so much better than the K-7. At least this is the case, according to the reviews. So I asked myself, what good is a weatherproof camera if it does poorly in low light, cloudy, shady conditions? I live in the NE USA, where it's often cloudy and rainy, so I just figured the K-5 would do better than the K-7 around these here parts! And that's how it happened.

And it's a little embarrassing to admit it, but, sometimes when I am sitting at my desk, doing nothing in particular, I just reach out and pick up the K-5, and just sort of admire it. Crazy, huh? But! I never did that with the Canon's and Nikon's I've tried! Hahaha

Anyway. Just my half a cent... I know, I'm pretty much just an inexperienced novice...

But I like the sensible way you expressed your views...

Last edited by DavidSKAF3; 12-05-2013 at 02:22 PM.
12-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
davids8560 - I completely get what you mean. Some cameras can feel as if they're an extension of one's self. I had a similar reaction when I picked up a Leica M6 for the first time. Oh, sure, there's the "oh my God! it's a Leica" reaction, but that goes away fairly quickly. At the time I was using an EOS 1 and the Leica was so basic, so low-tech that it reminded me of just how all of the bells and whistles of a then modern AF film camera had insulated me from the experience of making a photograph. With the M6 I felt so connected with the process. I felt that I was actually making the image as opposed to just pushing a button to then have some inanimate object do it for me. The best way that I can describe it is that I felt like a craftsman as opposed to a button pusher. It reminded me of when I was 5 years old and picked a Kodak Brownie and took a picture for the very fist time. Pure, unadulterated photography nirvana.
12-05-2013, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by davids8560 Quote
I just reach out and pick up the K-5, and just sort of admire it.
It does feel good to hold, doesn't it? If I haven't gone out on photo outing for several days, I'll pick up my K-5 ii and just take a few shots in the house!

- Craig
12-06-2013, 06:35 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
It does feel good to hold, doesn't it? If I haven't gone out on photo outing for several days, I'll pick up my K-5 ii and just take a few shots in the house!

- Craig
There's always the dogs, who can give such amusing looks when you shove a camera in their face...
12-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@david -- I know exactly what you mean, and I've expressed it in this forum before... at work I have to use the company's D80. Decent camera (tho' I wish I had some additional lenses for it), but it never "spoke" to me. I use it, do what I have to do with it, but it never feels right in my hands. My Pentax does.

Yeah, old school, since Spotmatic days. And I can use the lenses from the Spottie on my K-r...
12-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #30
Forum Member

I have half a mind to always keep the RB67 or C330 in my backpack just for these kinds of encounters so I can pull 'em out and say, "Nah, I'm not old school, I just know how to use my brain to operate a camera".