Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2013, 06:18 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't normally wear a vest, but I have in the past. It really depends upon what I'm doing. I would use mine when I knew I'd be walking a bit, would be shooting primarily with one or two lenses, and wanted my hands to be free as possible. This thread reminded me of a conversation I saw on the Facebook page of one of my camera club friends. This guy wears his vest all the time...even when he's not out shooting. He also wears a fairly large Tilley hat, too. He was shooting a Halloween event earlier this year and was telling how people kept coming up to him and asking him questions like he was one of the folks working the event. He said, "They all assumed I was dressed up for Halloween." One of his female friends posted, "So...you dress all the time in a manner that makes people assume you're in costume, but you wonder why you don't have a girlfriend?"

12-04-2013, 07:31 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In-Vest?

I have a photo vest, the 'Naturalist' from The Nature Company. It's the standard dark green, outdoors-looking, multi-pocket type and very handy for carrying the smaller accessories (or prime lenses) that normally require digging through a bag to find.
Leaving both hands free for shooting or changing lenses.
Here in Colorado, any vest is practically considered normal outerwear during 3 of the 4 seasons, summer being the exception. So, not many weird looks or comments and it doesn't seem to scare women off, nor does it attract them!
It's functional, easy to 'layer' for changing weather conditions and extremely useful for my chosen activity.
Fashion? Ha! I'm not a model, I'm a photographer.
Having said that, I wouldn't wear it to a function where it was totally out of place. It's like work clothes; Wear them when you're 'working'.
JMO,
Ron
12-04-2013, 08:36 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
One of his female friends posted, "So...you dress all the time in a manner that makes people assume you're in costume, but you wonder why you don't have a girlfriend?"
new rule...NO single guys in vests! Get married first. This is for your own good.
12-04-2013, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

A little eye candy for the ladies...
...yes, I am kidding

I probably have on a thermal shirt, regular T-shirt, long sleeve shirt, fleece pullover, and finally the vest...I know, it just gets SO cold here in California, lol.

Last edited by mikeSF; 6 Days Ago at 05:32 PM.
12-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
But it can get too warm on a hot day
And on a cold day, it can be difficult to work with a coat under or over the vest. I have one of the generic outdoors vests. The few times I've used it, I like it - weather permitting. However, @p38arover - while my spouse doesn't object when we are outside urban areas, she would have the same response when touring inside towns.

And I have to admit, in an urban area it probably draws more attention than I would like from potential thieves. Lots of tourists have backpacks, slingpacks and even messenger bags with nothing better than a P&S or bridge camera. But a vest with bulging pockets is a clear sign of more expensive gear.
12-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
A little eye candy for the ladies...
...yes, I am kidding

I probably have on a thermal shirt, regular T-shirt, long sleeve shirt, fleece pullover, and finally the vest...I know, it just gets SO cold here in California, lol.
BTW, here are the photos I was taking in each of those three candids:

12-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I never wear a vest, as I've gotten older, I tend to not need so much on my chest… if I wear a vest now, my body will sweat and my arms will be cold. I need the anti-vest. A couple of sleeves I can pull on to wear with a vest to equalize the heat.
12-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #23

Matt Granger, aka That Nikon Guy, gives a good review of the Manfrotto vest. Search youtube and you'll find it easy enough. But yeah, when I mentioned getting a photographer's vest to my wife, she looked at me funny and asked why I wanted to dress up like a geeky d-bag a-hole. So while I'm still considering it, her words were a bit of a deterrent.

12-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tele_pathic Quote
Matt Granger, aka That Nikon Guy, gives a good review of the Manfrotto vest. Search youtube and you'll find it easy enough. But yeah, when I mentioned getting a photographer's vest to my wife, she looked at me funny and asked why I wanted to dress up like a geeky d-bag a-hole. So while I'm still considering it, her words were a bit of a deterrent.
nuff said...

12-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Haha LMFAO

But I still suspect a vest may actually come in handy, or something with extra pockets. Like for lens caps. Am I supposed to attach a cap keeper thingy to all my lenses? Is that what you guys do?

And I been bringing my set of el cheapo ND filters to the local waterfall to get one of those dreamy, wispy waterfall shots some of you guys post, without much luck incidentally, and they need a place to park when not in use. So I was thinking about that vest somebody gave me... Getting one that fits... But now I dunno... Maybe.
12-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #26
Site Supporter

I wear a fleece vest (not photographer's) when it's cold. I rarely wear anything with sleeves.

Last edited by p38arover; 12-04-2013 at 06:46 PM.
12-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #27
Pentaxian

I made extensive use of the free vents that fuji gave away a few years ago. They had about 20 pockets I believe, and you could cut the center seam in the front lower pocket to make it big enough for lenses (basically to make two smaller pockets into one.) I got several of them, one for each so-many rolls of film, I don't recall exactly how many. They were very durable, but they're now much too small for me. That must be due to them having shrunk, of course.

The one issue with a vest is that unless it's very unusually designed, it doesn't work that well with a waist pack.
12-04-2013, 07:09 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
new rule...NO single guys in vests! Get married first. This is for your own good.
That explains why my wife bought me my photographer's vest.
12-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #29
Pentaxian

This is the only style of vest I would wear, since it looks very serious. (And I do have a matching Lowepro belt and harness already...).
S&F Technical Vest Camera bags, backpacks and rolling cases

Only problem is that you may also look like a suicide bomber, so I wouldn't wear this in Iraq or Lebanon, or approaching an Israeli border checkpoint.
Attached Images

12-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
This is the only style of vest I would wear, since it looks very serious. (And I do have a matching Lowepro belt and harness already...).
S&F Technical Vest Camera bags, backpacks and rolling cases

Only problem is that you may also look like a suicide bomber, so I wouldn't wear this in Iraq or Lebanon, or approaching an Israeli border checkpoint.
hmmm. hmmm... I may need to add this to my Santa list!
Although this seems to have few to no pockets at all, I do have a full Lowepro belt system and several slip lock pouches that would attach to the front for the ultimate mad-bomber rig...interesting.