Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know how I missed this in my search for bags. I want one. This would be perfect for hiking & stuff. My camo jacket works pretty well, but that only works when it's cold out. I don't think I would wear a vest around town though. Of course, it shouldn't be a big deal since I'm not a single guy...

12-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You know....... I stopped wearing a camera vest because I found too many people would point and laugh at me. Funny thing though, even after I stopped wearing the vest, they still continued to point and laugh at me.

[IMG]
[/IMG]
12-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Got one for Christmas years ago. Never wore it because I didn't want to look like a total noob (sorry, no offence meant for anyone here who wears one. To each their own). The only time I've ever seen anyone wear a photo vest are at professional sporting events where the stadium mandates that the photographers wear it as an indicator that they belong on the field. Otherwise I think they're the photo equivalent of wearing white pants after Labor day.
Instead of a vest, I purchased a 3/4 length coat with big pockets. This way I can have my gear on me and look somewhat stylish too.
12-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Dang 😕 What does it say about me, wanting one?

12-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #35
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FrankC Quote
Otherwise I think they're the photo equivalent of wearing white pants after Labor day.
You'll have to explain that to us foreigners. Unless one is playing cricket or is in the Navy, one should never wear white pants.
12-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #36
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
This is the only style of vest I would wear, since it looks very serious.
I think it wouldn't look out of place on a TV cameraman or sound man.
12-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Y'know, you guys are TOO funny! LMAO
12-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #38
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by FrankC Quote
mandates that the photographers wear it as an indicator that they belong
That's the only times I wear one and the were awful cheap things with pockets you wouldn't trust with a paper clip let alone a lens, but no wear "yer oot".

I have looked at the Billingham Photovest version though, it's made a bit shorter in the body so you can still sit and stuff.

12-06-2013, 06:43 AM   #39
Site Supporter

Here is a review of both vests and jackets. Jackets may look slightly less dorky
Best photographers' vests and jackets: 6 tested | News | TechRadar
12-06-2013, 06:51 AM   #40
Site Supporter

2 photos of photo jackets from the site:
Best photographers' vests and jackets: 6 tested | News | TechRadar

12-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't have a vest, no particular reason other than I'm still searching for the perfect strap (the fancy ones are waaaay too expensive to purchase for experimentation...). But we once ran into a shooter at the botanical garden who was lugging so much kit he looked like he could have used a couple of Sherpas... he had on a vest, pockets a-bulge everywhere, stuff on a belt/harness, stuff around his neck, possibly stuff under his hat, too. And some mega-monster tripod. Frankly he looked ridiculous. Didn't catch the details of the camera body, but it was a big Nikon.

Worst of it was that he seemed to think all this gear gave him license to shove lesser shooters (even another Nikon, never mind my Pentax) aside when some interesting thing presented itself for image-making.
12-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #42
Site Supporter

As a big fan of lots of pockets (and hopefully I never look like the oaf OrchidJulie describes), I have to put in a plug for wearing a vest. It has to be said that most of my photography is done in the countryside rather than in towns/cities, so I don't care what it looks like to others. For a long time I just retasked a heavy canvas vest that went with my job as a field geologist. That vest is a Brunton with lots of bellow pockets, padding in the shoulders to cope with heavy loads (rocks and field books, hammers and dirt samples), similar to this Filson vest, but it was hot and heavy.

More often now I wear a light cotton "journalist's vest" I bought from LLBean about 20 years ago. It holds enough without holding too much, was reasonably priced back then, and is cut for women (there was a men's version, too). It's beginning to wear thin and has many patches for reinforcement, but I love it and will replace it when it finally dies. My only caveat when buying a vest is to get it large enough so that it fits over outerwear on cold days (like in the photos of Mike with his vest). Here it is in all its rumpled glory (gory?):

12-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter

That actually looks reasonably comfortable and useful, Tamia. If I found the right vest, I might consider it -- would be easier than a bag and more. I don't usually carry a lot of kit anyway, I think it might actually fit in a bunch of pockets. It will have to be lightweight, for sure... it's warm to hot here most days!
12-07-2013, 08:52 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter

Check out Scottevest products if you want really stealthy.
12-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #45
Forum Member

The way I look at it, backpacks are great for getting gear to a location. For me, they're not great for fast access to lenses, even something like my Kata D3N1-20 (irresistible amazon warehouse deal) rigged in sling mode. I don't have the experience of a lot of people here, but something like a vest has a lot of appeal. However, I'd need it to hold a 70-200/2.8 and a 300/4. I suspect that the Billingham does this, but that seems a bit pricey (says the guy who'll be buying a K-3 after Christmas - consistency is not one of my virtues). With my thin frame, I think those lenses in pockets would swing a lot, which I would find irritating. I could be completely wrong about that, though. For smaller lenses I should think a vest would be great.

I'll probably go for something like a belt system, maybe some used Think Tank modular gear...or maybe a vest....or maybe I need to try both....ooooooh look at THAT bag over there....

Nice that there's probably something out there for everyone, although a bad case of vest/bag addiction could be costly.