Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Vests - do you wear a vest

I got a photographers vest as a gift a few months ago. But it was too small. I couldn't wear it.

Nevertheless I liked all the pockets. And I'm hoping to find an affordable 2XL one at some point, I think.

But a lot more people seem to be going for those high tech-oriented laptop and DSLR kit combo type backpacks, and not so much vests.

Do you ever wear a photographer's vest? Is it useful? Or more just a silly cliche?

Just askin'!

12-03-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The past several times I went out, I packed all my essential gear in my vest rather than carry a backpack. It was much more distributed and easier on the back.
I had my 16-50 (on camera), the 50-135, and 50-300 lenses were in the vest. Along with; 540fgz flash, at least two sets of extra batteries for camera and flash. I usually cary other misc like bottle of water, memory cards, cable etc...

Great for travel, as "clothing" is not considered a carry-on! So all the more room for camera gear on the plane.
12-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was thinking vest for filters and smaller items.

I didn't even consider that a few lenses could fit into a vest's pockets!

Btw if there is a vest brand that stands out in particular I'd like to know!

Last edited by DavidSKAF3; 12-03-2013 at 06:05 PM.
12-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do some, it depends on the shoot. I like the pockets for lens changing. I tend to use a large pack more but sometimes both. It just depends. I do like them though.

12-03-2013, 06:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I use a fishing vest when out in the country. Works well with smaller lenses like the limiteds and to carry filters, extra batteries etc. Its pretty cheap...
12-03-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by davids8560 Quote
I was thinking vest for filters and smaller items.

I didn't even consider that a few lenses could fit into a vest's pockets
For Pentax Ltd's you don't need big pockets I like to carry them in cargo pockets.

For something like DA* zooms, a pouch with a loop to carry on a belt, would probably be the best choice.
12-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #7

My wife got me a Humvee vest last year from B&H. Good vest, lots of pockets and I don't think it was very expensive.

12-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I love my vest, now wear it on nearly every outing. For my K mount rig, it will hold my 15, 21,31,43, 10-20zoom, and a 77 plus all filters, a hat, gloves, phone, battery, pen, whistle, hand warmers, etc... Pretty much eliminates the need for a bag sometimes.
People make fun of my vest but I could not care less how I look when I am getting the job done.
Go for it!
12-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
I love my vest, now wear it on nearly every outing. For my K mount rig, it will hold my 15, 21,31,43, 10-20zoom, and a 77 plus all filters, a hat, gloves, phone, battery, pen, whistle, hand warmers, etc... Pretty much eliminates the need for a bag sometimes.
People make fun of my vest but I could not care less how I look when I am getting the job done.
Go for it!
What make is it?
12-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I would like to try a Billingham vest.
12-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Go for it!

Whistle ???
12-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #12
Pentaxian

What make is it?
Humvee
12-03-2013, 09:33 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chromo Quote
Whistle ???
Yes, a loud coach's whistle in case I fall down a crevasse or something and my groans cannot be heard over the roar of the ocean.
12-03-2013, 11:58 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

I've never seen a photographer wearing one. My wife asked recently if I wanted one - but qualified that with "You'd look like a ******".

12-04-2013, 02:13 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I got a photographers vest as a gift a few months ago. But it was too small. I couldn't wear it.

Nevertheless I liked all the pockets. And I'm hoping to find an affordable 2XL one at some point, I think.

But a lot more people seem to be going for those high tech-oriented laptop and DSLR kit combo type backpacks, and not so much vests.

Do you ever wear a photographer's vest? Is it useful? Or more just a silly cliche?

Just askin'!
I keep a Billingham PhotoVest in my car. I can get a DA* 300mm f/4 and a DA* 60-250mm f/4 (with hoods reversed) in the two main pockets. There is lots of other pockets, some with zips for added security. It is a bigger size than I would normally wear, because this allows more space in the pockets for bulky items.

I have narrow bony shoulders and the PhotoVest spreads the weight better across my shoulders than a back-pack. But it can get too warm on a hot day, and I wonder if a vest made of netting would be better.

QuoteOriginally posted by tzrenz0 Quote
I would like to try a Billingham vest.
+1