Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
User Settings advice

Hey guys, I'm new to photography and just purchased a K-50.

I've searched and read a couple of threads about this but was just looking for some advice on what settings you guys use for U1 and U2. I'm thinking I'd like to do one for stills of landscapes or architecture and the second one for action shots of people or wildlife. Thoughts or recommendations on specific settings?

Also curious what functions you guys have set for the Fn or green button and what settings you feel are most important to have quick access to. Also any other tips or bits of advice and wisdom you can share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !

12-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like a "fast shot" user mode where all in-camera processing is turned off, it's in TAv base mode with f8 and 1/500 to start.

I also should set up a "tripod" mode because I always forget to turn off the timer etc. when I'm done with tripod shooting.
12-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for asking the question to the OP and thanks for answering Terry. I often wonder what others have their user modes and/or programmable buttons set up to and what advice they have for those settings.
12-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I set up a User mode for fast shooting but never used it - mostly lack of opportunity.

For buttons and custom settings, I have a list of possible settings and try to keep track of what I've changed. I revisit this frequently to see if there's a setting I didn't understand at first or now want to be different.

I like to have the front e-dial always adjust shutter speed and rear always set aperture, for consistency.

12-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I use these:

1 - Sports: AFC, Hi burst, Auto-ISO, AF linked to half press, JPEG
2 - Indoor flash: ISO640 fixed, Manual exposure mode, Back Button Focus, DNG
3- Tripod/ND mode: 2 sec shutter delay, Manual exposure mode, Manual Focus, ISO100 fixed, DNG