Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My sigma 28-105 gets a lot of play. Always seems to be just right. It's a piece o crap and quirky but hey I only paid $40 for it. Which means if it gets smashed at the zoo or stolen by a chimp I won't be heart broken!! There is something to be said for expendable.
Joel

12-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
For that, I mean something encompassing an "all in one" solution for my daughter to carry on trips. I don't mind lens switching. She is a beginner & I think carrying one lens for the day will be a good start. Something that starts at a wide-ish angle & goes through a long-ish end.
Define long-ish
In the current Pentax line-up, I would think of the 17-70, 18-135 or 18-270.
12-06-2013, 09:11 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
My sigma 28-105 gets a lot of play. Always seems to be just right. It's a piece o crap and quirky but hey I only paid $40 for it. Which means if it gets smashed at the zoo or stolen by a chimp I won't be heart broken!! There is something to be said for expendable.
Joel
She's probably going to carry the 28-80mm for this trip because I paid $1 for it. Of course, shipping was like $9. Still, if she screws up a $10 lens, I don't really care all that much.
12-06-2013, 10:49 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you can find a Tamron-Pentax-Promaster 28-105 buy it, usually pretty inexpensive and darn sharp. I had a Tamron but sold it after getting the DA18-135. I also had a Promaster branded one and it lives on my daughter's kx. I also love my Tamron 10-24, I'm not saying it's better than the Pentax or Sigma ultra wides because I've never shot them, but it is cheaper. The DA18-135 gets an awful lot of use by me, very happy with it. I do agree with what demp10 said in an earlier post. Download Exposure Plot and see what you are shooting. But of course if you have one lens in a focal length range and don't like that lens, it's not going to show much. But if you are shooting a lot at 18mm, probably need to go wider.