Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Reading photo magazines for free

The dark days and cold nights of winter is my time to catch up on photography reading and image viewing. The free and most efficient way for me to do this is through my public library's online resources. Through the library's website, one can sign up for the Zinio service and then access hundreds of titles. Even better, the Zinio app allows me to view them on my iPad (I'm sure Android and Windows Mobile versions exist) where the photos look better than on magazine stock.

The relevant photo titles I am checking out include American Photo, Aperture (hooray!), Digital PhotoPro, Outdoor Photographer, Pop Photo, Shutterbug and Digital Photo. That's enough for an evening by the woodstove.

Enjoy, you've paid for it.

M

12-06-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll have to check with my Library...
12-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Will have to look into that app. I have used a book checkout app Overdrive but I don't think it does magazines. TFS
12-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I have used a book checkout app Overdrive
Yep, Overdrive is for online download of audiobooks and ebooks--though I prefer to do the actual listening and reading via iTunes and iBooks or Goodreader; zinio seems to have the 'zine market.

M

12-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I borrow lots of old photography books from my library. Because of their budget, the books covering film photography are more relevant than nearly anything with "Digital!" on the cover. Those books have lots of space devoted to digital tech of 2005. The film books often have developing sections that are easy to skip, but the rest is worthwhile.
12-07-2013, 07:36 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I borrow lots of old photography books from my library. Because of their budget, the books covering film photography are more relevant than nearly anything with "Digital!" on the cover. Those books have lots of space devoted to digital tech of 2005. The film books often have developing sections that are easy to skip, but the rest is worthwhile.
A great old pocket book, if you can find one is; Kodak Pocket Guide To 35mm Photography. They also made on for digital photography but I don't like it as much.
12-07-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with the OP, the magazine apps (Zinio, Nook etc.) really do present the photos at their best. i am a longtime lover and collector of paper books and magazines but a well done digital magazine or photo book on a good tablet is a real treat.
12-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Does this reflect a trend I have noticed since digital technologies became pervasive. Many writings about anything done with digital technologies seem to have taken on the form: "wow, the technology ..." whereas the prior analog methods books concentrated on the more profound issues of what we do with the technology.

12-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
A great old pocket book, if you can find one is; Kodak Pocket Guide To 35mm Photography. They also made on for digital photography but I don't like it as much.
This book has a had a home in my camera bag (whichever one I am carrying) since the early 1980's. Yes, it has some shortcomings in the high ISO digital age, but so many of those paper calculators are still useful. If nothing else, it keeps an 18% gray card at my fingertips.
12-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Does this reflect a trend I have noticed since digital technologies became pervasive. Many writings about anything done with digital technologies seem to have taken on the form: "wow, the technology ..." whereas the prior analog methods books concentrated on the more profound issues of what we do with the technology.
It's more of a library budget thing. They can't always afford to keep up with a fast-moving tech field. And they already have shelves of photography books with valid advice on topics like composition or lighting.