Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Takumar 50 1.4, quality problem? considering its radioative

Hey folks,

I have a question here. I sold a super takumar 50 1.4 for $65 locally, which is in excellent ++ conditions.
And the buyer called me after about 4 days, and said he found it is radioactive from some reference online. And he thinks this is considered as quality problem and want to return.
I just need some opinion. Is it really quality problem? Is is necessary to notify the lens is radioactive when you are trying to sell this. I haven't seen any description of that from our forum market place.

Thanks guys for this annoying question.

12-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This is not a problem, but a well know characteristic of this lens.

If the yellowing is a problem, it can be cleared by exposure to UV radiation.

$65 for this lens in ex++ condition is a real steal, so it's not a problem for you to make a refund. Just sell it to someone else--for more.

Researching is generally done *prior* to the purchase.
12-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The Super Tak 50 f/1.4 does have a thorium coating that is slightly radioactive, but it's not enough to worry about. It's not a secret, and it's not specific this one copy of the lens you sold. If the seller didn't want a slightly radioactive lens, he should have done his research beforehand. I say it's not your problem, and the buyer shouldn't be complaining after getting such a good deal!
12-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Some of them are radioactive, but it is way overblown. All sorts of things are slightly radioactive -- bananas for instance. Takumar lenses are no danger. But, if the buyer is paranoid, I'd just take it back.

12-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Actually, on second thought, go ahead and take it back. If it's local, that shouldn't be hard. You could easily sell it for the same amount or more to someone who's not going to whine about trace amounts of radioactivity.

Also, tell this person to stay away from bananas and granite and a thousand other things if he's so worried.
12-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Actually, on second thought, go ahead and take it back. If it's local, that shouldn't be hard. You could easily sell it for the same amount or more to someone who's not going to whine about trace amounts of radioactivity.

Also, tell this person to stay away from bananas and granite and a thousand other things if he's so worried.
...and no air travel. Also radioactive.
12-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #7
Pentaxian

the buyer shouldn't be complaining after getting such a good deal!
"No good deed goes unpunished" ;-)

12-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster

@scratchpaddy,
@johnyates
@vonBaloney
I am surprised by such a quick replying, and thanks for all of your kind and funny comments. I love it.

The reason I don't want to take it back, is because the lens itself have no problem at all and I spent about (actually above) 1 hour to show him what kind things should take a look at before buying a old lens, like checking focus and aperture rings and see the glasses though a light. Besides I helped him to get the lens work on a k200d (I only have owned kr and k5, so i spent some time). Also he want to have the cheap adapter i have for 5 bucks. I did the search and showed him it is $4.7 on ebay, but still sold it to him at 5 bucks because he insisted and doesn't want any trouble in buying from ebay. I also gave him a chance to practice mounting the adapter on my film cameras. I think I over spoiled him.

He called me (more than 15 calls) this afternoon when I was in my office, ask to return and blame me not telling him it is radioactive with knowing that. And yelled at me why I didn't answer his phone. Until I was pissed and yelled back. I was working in the lab and wish to finish my work before the winter storm at 1:00 p.m, when he was calling BTW.

Really a bad experience. But I wouldn't refund at any circumstance after all of these happened. It is sold via craigslist by the way.

Last edited by xinanbei; 12-06-2013 at 01:28 PM.
12-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #9
Inactive Account

If he is truly thinks it is dangerous he should get rid of it at any cost, I volunteer to take it off his hands, I won't even charge him.

I love mine and won't give it up for anything, the radioactivity is more of a interesting fact than anything else.
12-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by xinanbei Quote
Is it really quality problem?
No, the radioactive glass (not the coating) is a well-documented design characteristic of the lens

QuoteQuote:
Is is necessary to notify the lens is radioactive when you are trying to sell this.
No...see above

QuoteQuote:
I haven't seen any description of that from our forum market place.
Not surprising...see above.

Many lenses made through much of the mid-20th century have elements made with thoriated glass. The rare earth element Thorium was added to fine-tune the refractive index of the glass. The radiation was a side-effect. The most notorious were lenses on various Kodak products though a comprehensive list includes lenses from most major manufacturers.

There are a number of Web articles that attempt to quantify the risk, but as noted above, the dosage from even regular use is pretty slight with intensity falling off by the square of the distance. To put it in terms that a photographer would understand...it is not enough to fog film.

As far as your purchaser is concerned, if you have additional conversation you might want to make the following points:
  • The price of the lens was very competitive and represents reasonable market value for similar items sold elsewhere
  • Retail outlets with similar product post no warning (use KEH as an example)
  • If the buyer is dissatisfied with the lens, he/she is welcome at any time to resell the lens with a warning to potential buyers regarding the radioactivity
  • There is no moral, ethical, or legal rational or precedent for you to be required to accept a return

Steve

(Has a couple of lenses on the shelf that are reputed to be radioactive...does not carry such in pants pocket...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-06-2013 at 01:46 PM.
12-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
If he is truly thinks it is dangerous he should get rid of it at any cost, I volunteer to take it off his hands, I won't even charge him.

I love mine and won't give it up for anything, the radioactivity is more of a interesting fact than anything else.
I totally agree. The only reason I want to sell it is because I have a SMC, a 8-elemets version super Takumar and another same version of this super takumar 50 1.4.

Hehe, I have been hit by LBA for about 1 year. I have to get rid of some. Probably our marketplace is safer, at least there is no annoying, arrogant people who knows nothing.
12-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
No, the radioactive glass (not the coating) is a well-documented design characteristic of the lens

No...see above

Not surprising...see above.

Many lenses made through much of the mid-20th century have elements made with thoriated glass. The rare earth element Thorium was added to fine-tune the refractive index of the glass. The radiation was a side-effect. The most notorious were lenses on various Kodak products though a comprehensive list includes lenses from most major manufacturers.

There are a number of Web articles that attempt to quantify the risk, but as noted above, the dosage from even regular use is pretty slight with intensity falling off by the square of the distance. To put it in terms that a photographer would understand...it is not enough to fog film.

As far as your purchaser is concerned, if you have additional conversation you might want to make the following points:
  • The price of the lens was very competitive and represents reasonable market value for similar items sold elsewhere
  • Retail outlets with similar product post no warning (use KEH as an example)
  • If he/she is dissatisfied with the lens, they are welcome at any time to resell the lens with a warning to potential buyers regarding the radioactivity
  • There is no moral, ethical, or legal rational or precedent for you to be required to accept a return

Steve
Thanks Steve. I have been annoyed all this afternoon. I should NOT spoil him~~
12-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by xinanbei Quote
Hehe, I have been hit by LBA for about 1 year. I have to get rid of some. Probably our marketplace is safer, at least there is no annoying, arrogant people who knows nothing.
I've learned if trying to downsize lenses, you shouldn't accept trades in the Marketplace, I somehow ended up with more than I started with. I guess you could say I've had a great experience with the Marketplace here.
12-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
People are way to paranoid for some things like slight radioactiveness. The lens is nothing to worry about unless he plans to tape the lens with the rear element to one of his eyes and walk around with it. If it truly was that dangerous it would be forbidden to take on flights etc but it isn't. If he's still paranoid show him this forum.
12-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
People are way to paranoid for some things like slight radioactiveness. The lens is nothing to worry about unless he plans to tape the lens with the rear element to one of his eyes and walk around with it. If it truly was that dangerous it would be forbidden to take on flights etc but it isn't. If he's still paranoid show him this forum.
I think I will do this.
To be kind, I would tell him not going to grocery store because there are scaring bananas.