Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2013, 12:38 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Slow write time Kx

While this has been a problem with night shoots, it is also a problem with normal shoots too. I have tried my 1std, the kx and the k5 and the kx is the only one that has this problem. I takes about 30th of a second to write to card, which makes it impossible to rapid shoot for birds as an example. I am using an Extreme Pro 8gb sd card and even with that it just wont write info fast. I have tried raw and jpeg with the same result. Any clues????

12-07-2013, 04:29 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello trishytee. I've got a brother who's been living in Mandurah the last twenty five years or so.

Couple of images from Halls Head back in July. These were both taken with a K-x.

Photo Morsels - The sun sets in the West

I suspect the K-x has all the image correction do-dads switched on - CA correction, lens distortion correction, etc. It takes the K-x a while to post process pictures with these features switched on. It is the same for RAW as for JPEG, as the small JPEG embedded in RAW files still gets treated. It seriously affects the ability to take bursts of images with the K-x. Turn these off and you should get around the advertised burst rates if using continuous drive, before the camera slows. If using JPEGs you should get twenty or so images on a burst before the buffer fills and the camera slows. I forget the exact number now, but I think it is 7-8 RAW files before it slows. After a certain card speed, you no longer get any gains as the K-x write speed maxes out somewhere in the mid-teens Mb/sec. The Extreme Pro write speed would be well in excess of what a K-x can write out from the buffer to a card. This reply is written from my own K-x experience.

Night shoots are possibly a different issue. If you are taking a multi-second exposure, after the actual image exposure, the camera takes a second exposure with the shutter shut. It analyses the second 'dark' image for noise and subtracts this from the actual image to reduce noise. So what you think is a ten second exposure is actually 2 x 10 seconds + processing time to subtract the identified noise. The process works well on my K-x - I can do some pretty good night exposures at low ISO and get little noise. By way of example, the second of the images in my link was a 15 seconds exposure at F11 (I was trying to get some milkiness in the surf). There is a menu item to turn this off but I see no point. Once I am using multi-second exposures, I'm also using a tripod and in no great hurry. Could be a bit of a pain though if taking long bulb exposures in the minutes.