Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Question on some technical term and its meaning

I am looking at DSLR specifications under "white balance" of 3 brands, Pentax, Canon, Nikon.
Pantax (K-3) say something like ;
Fine Adjustment : Adjustable ±7 steps on A-B axis or G-M axis

Canon (7D)
;
White Balance Correction: ± up to 9 levels, in 1-step increments
White Balance Bracketing: ± up to 3 levels, in 1-step increments

Nikon ( D800) ;
White balance bracketing : 2 to 9 frames in steps of 1, 2 or 3

Could somebody help me translate them into one unify language?
- Does it mean, K3 has no bracketing? and D800 has no white balance fine adjustment / correction?
- K3 can adjust up to ±7 steps, but 7D can do only +1 step? Then what is ± up to 9 levels of 7D mean?
- what is D800 bracketing mean when translate to 7D language?

thanks

12-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Moved to proper area.
12-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I may be a bit off on the translation, but I think it means; Get a K3 and shoot RAW.
12-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax K-3 white balance can be set from -7 to +7 A-B [Amber - Blue] and / or G-M [Green - Magenta] axis. The two axes may be combined.

I have a copy of the K-3 manual, and this is the specification. White balance bracketing is unnecessary if one shoots RAW, though.

12-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
thank you all the answer so far.
Anyone has a good explanation on my question please let me know.
Note that, My intention is to understand what they, each brands are talking in the specification.
If I were trying to buy a new body, It couldn't be anything else but a K3.
12-08-2013, 02:18 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by manacho2005 Quote
but I think it means; Get a K3 and shoot RAW

Like your style.
12-08-2013, 07:41 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I have none of these cameras, so I could be off, but check out the manuals for fine tuning:

Canon 7d, page 73

http://www.bfm.ee/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Canon-EOS-7D-Owners-Manual.pdf

Nikon d800, see page 148 (it does have WB Fine Tuning, but I didn't see by how much))

http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/dslr/D800_EN.pdf

both explain that "1-step" is a shift of "5 mired", which is a unit that describes changes in colour temperature (the Nikon manual pg 150 explains it a little, or see Mired - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, or see Mired Shift Calculator for LEE Lighting Filters for a nice visual calculator). I didn't check what the k-3 means by a 'step', it could be different.

For the bracketing, see page 74 of the Canon manual and page 138 of the Nikon manual. The Nikon only does bracketing on the A-B axis, but gives you many options on what it saves (and it looks like you can go up to 4-steps away from your baseline) and you should see the table in the manual for what they are.

The Canon lets you do bracketing in the A-B or the G-M axis (but not both at the same time) and will save 3 versions of your shot with shifts along the axis you selected of whatever 'step' you selected (1, 2, or 3). In terms of the table in the Nikon manual, the Canon lets you bracket 0/1B/1A or 0/2B/2A or 0/3B/3A or 0/1M/1G or 0/2M/2G or 0/3M/3G

I'm a little puzzled on how WB bracketing can be worth it. Selecting the 'right' one from the back of the camera isn't going to be that awesome and by the time you've loaded your 3 or more jpegs on the computer and picked the 'right' version, you could probably have popped a raw file into your favorite converter and manually selected the WB to your liking. On the other hand, it's a feature that can be freely ignored, should be cheap to implement, and adds more technical mumbo-jumbo to your spec sheet so I'm going to start complaining about the lack of WB bracketing on the k-3.
12-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
so I'm going to start complaining about the lack of WB bracketing on the k-3.
[INSERT TONGUE IN CHEEK]Great - another thread about how the K-3 is a super disappointing and useless camera from Ricoh-Pentax. I think Ricoh should retro my K10 firmware to give me WB bracketing, too. [REMOVE TONGUE FROM CHEEK]

After all, the K-3 is only the best APS-C camera out there. Even the fan-boy site reluctantly put the Nikon ahead because of its AF.

12-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I have none of these cameras, so I could be off, but check out the manuals for fine tuning:

Canon 7d, page 73

http://www.bfm.ee/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Canon-EOS-7D-Owners-Manual.pdf

Nikon d800, see page 148 (it does have WB Fine Tuning, but I didn't see by how much))

http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/dslr/D800_EN.pdf

both explain that "1-step" is a shift of "5 mired", which is a unit that describes changes in colour temperature (the Nikon manual pg 150 explains it a little, or see Mired - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, or see Mired Shift Calculator for LEE Lighting Filters for a nice visual calculator). I didn't check what the k-3 means by a 'step', it could be different.
Page 56 of the K-3 English manual says steps of 20 mired units with the front wheel, 100 mired units with the rear wheel. But it's not clear whether these steps are the same as the Fine Tuning steps.

Probably the adjustment range doesn't matter as much as how close the camera comes with its first guess. In other words, you take a shot and see a white balance issue. If Camera A is off by 500K, camera B is off by 1000K and Camera C is 100K, you may be happier with Camera C.

I think my brother's cheapo Canon T3 has WB bracketing.