Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
12-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #16
Unregistered User

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJ Quote
To be honest a Manfrotto is about as cheap as I would go. Cheap tripods are a pain to use, you lock the head and they droop, you lock again and they sag, it's a dog chasing it's tail routine that will quickly put you off using it.

For stills photography a ball head is favourite, only one control to lock off makes them quick to use, the other option is pan and tilt then you have to lock off three adjustments, but for video you need a pan and tilt. There are heads that have both with the throw of a lever nowadays, I don't know how good they are. If you can afford a fluid head these just stay where you point them once set up, no controls to lock off, but they cost more than the tripod legs. You can fit any head with the standard 3/8th Whitworth thread to any manufacturers legs. Quick release plates are a boon too (Manfrotto RC2 system), make attaching and removing your camera on and off the tripod quick, easy and securely.

If you can afford the difference carbon fibre are just as rigid with less than half the weight, but you have to watch them in high winds (experience talking LOL).

Chris
Your descriptions are perfectly applicable to my useless Hama.

12-09-2013, 11:13 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I have a 3 Legged Thing, Brain Evo II, carbon.

I won't even go there!

Induro CT414 with an Induro BH2 head is reckoned by my old pro-photog friend to be about the ideal. Could look at one with fewer leg sections, perhaps the CT313.

Induro: The Finest Tripods Money Can Buy

I agree with the poster above who says get the best first time round, like RRS or Gitzo, but there are other high quality brands. This philosophy saves money in the long run and I apply this to all kit acquisitions now, particularly lenses. Otherwise you end up with a pile of mediocre junk which, once tallied up, comes to a lot of money. I think in this ILC thing, you either go for top end stuff or stick with a high quality point and shoot.
12-09-2013, 08:18 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
This looks practical
Not at all for the ballhead at least; I had a shooting partner who had one and I would use it, of course, in setting up many shots. It seemed like overkill and an awkward way to do the simple task of setting the camera. Worse was having to pack it somewhere, especially in a bag with limited real estate.

The one excellent application of this design, and I'm not being facetious, is as an aid to people who don't have good control of--or lack--hands and limbs.

M
12-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which ones of the following would you consider and which ones would you avoid?
Just picking a brand is not really going to help, nearly all manufacturers have a range from poor to good, or cheap to expensive or whatever adjective you want to use. I suppose there are some that have nothing but junk and should be avoided. I use a Manfrotto 055cx3pro and it is great for me. If I had really big heavy glass I think it would be too light but it's flexible and works for me. But saying all Manfrottos are good because I like my model, just does not work, they make models that I would not bother with as they have to supply all markets.

And to answer your poll question the only brand on your list I've ever heard of is Manfrotto. Well GoPro I guess but I did not know they made tripods.

12-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #20
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Not at all for the ballhead at least; I had a shooting partner who had one and I would use it, of course, in setting up many shots. It seemed like overkill and an awkward way to do the simple task of setting the camera. Worse was having to pack it somewhere, especially in a bag with limited real estate.

The one excellent application of this design, and I'm not being facetious, is as an aid to people who don't have good control of--or lack--hands and limbs.

M
I actually deleted that post because the item in question has a serious construction error.
12-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #21
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Just picking a brand is not really going to help, nearly all manufacturers have a range from poor to good, or cheap to expensive or whatever adjective you want to use. I suppose there are some that have nothing but junk and should be avoided. I use a Manfrotto 055cx3pro and it is great for me. If I had really big heavy glass I think it would be too light but it's flexible and works for me. But saying all Manfrottos are good because I like my model, just does not work, they make models that I would not bother with as they have to supply all markets.

And to answer your poll question the only brand on your list I've ever heard of is Manfrotto. Well GoPro I guess but I did not know they made tripods.
After two days of intensive searching, I have found a product to me liking. All-metal & nearly 2.5 kg. Not the ideal solution in terms of portability; but very durable.

Thank you all for the help.
12-10-2013, 07:11 AM   #22
Pentaxian

After two days of intensive searching, I have found a product to me liking. All-metal & nearly 2.5 kg. Not the ideal solution in terms of portability; but very durable.
We're all on here because we like talking about gear and photography. So...what kind did you get?

12-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #23
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
We're all on here because we like talking about gear and photography. So...what kind did you get?
I do not think it's available in America. It's a German distributor and I would assume that its items are manufactured in China (like most other things).

http://www.amazon.de/Bilora-A324-Perfect-Pro-Stativ/dp/B001BRZD26/ref=sr_1_2...=bilora+stativ
12-10-2013, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Did you get that Bilora head? Bilora used to be pretty popular here in the U.S., but I haven't followed them in quite a while. Don't know if you can still get their stuff here or not. Looks like a great head. I like the size of that ball. Oops...I followed your link on the tripod after I had posted. I like the tripod, too. Is the center column completely removable...or does it have a short column that comes with it. The leg-spread pictures look like there is no center column. Very cool!
12-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #25
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Did you get that Bilora head? Bilora used to be pretty popular here in the U.S., but I haven't followed them in quite a while. Don't know if you can still get their stuff here or not. Looks like a great head. I like the size of that ball. Oops...I followed your link on the tripod after I had posted. I like the tripod, too. Is the center column completely removable...or does it have a short column that comes with it. The leg-spread pictures look like there is no center column. Very cool!
I looked for reviews of their products on amazon.com, but could not find any. In any case, this will be a step into a new dimension as far as tripods-and-I are concerned. Those really cheap tripods are simply not sufficient in terms of being able to support the weight of a DSLR.
12-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #26
Pentaxian

After I posted, I tried searching for Bilora gear. Looks like we're getting some of their cheaper things, but not the good stuff. They had good products back in the film days. From what you posted, looks like they still do.
12-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calculator01 Quote
Personally, I love my Vanguard Alta Pro. I tried a couple Manfrottos and high end Promasters and found that the Vanguard was what I was after. Plus the price was amazing when I bought it.
QuoteOriginally posted by bass3587 Quote
I concur. I ordered that same tripod last week. I have 3 cheapo's in the garage now.
I just bought a Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT too which arrived today and I must say I am very impressed with the build quality and the stability. I've always used Slik tripods and monopods in the past and considered them to be excellent tripods for the price range (in fact better than many costing much more). I researched getting a new Slik before going with the 263AT but the extra height without raising the centre column and the versatility of the head/column won me over.
12-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Funny thing after this thread started my ladyfriend's grandaughter came into need of a tripod so I gave her my old trusty Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT & SBH-250 ball head and picked me up a new Manfrotto 055XPROB & Manfrotto 498RC2 Midi Ball Head with the 200PL-14 QR Plate.

Being 6'4" and this combo's full extended Height of around 75" ought to suit me just fine. I bought them through B&H and the funny thing was, I am sure through no fault of B & H's pricing, the same exact legs & head kit price was $28.00 higher then what I paid by purchasing them separately. So I guess it is good I checked both pricing before I pulled the plug. And yes I bought them through the link on this site
02-10-2014, 02:29 PM   #29

Research, research, research. After an exhaustive research of tripods, many, like me, have concluded that the Vanguard Alta Pro series is a great buy. I bought the 264AB. It is very impressive, solidly constructed and easy to use. I can't believe the price at B&H of only $169, most are selling it for over $200. The center column swings up and out to the side for Macro work which was what I was looking for. This winter, I am using it at my bird feeders and sit in the house with a Vello RW-C1 wireless remote control and take shots as the birds come in to feed. The only bad point (but not for me) is that the tripod is not light (5.5 lbs)