Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #1
Forum Member

Using old flashes on K-30

Hi folks,

Thanks to Pentax forum members, I bought a K-30 a few days ago. Today, I found a good deal for some oldie accessories and I caught it:

1. SMC Pentax 1:2.8 24mm
2. SMC Pentax 1:3.5 135mm
3. Pentax K2 body
4. Tamron MC tele converter 2x
5. Braun Hobby 23 B flash

Plus the camera bag. All for $20! A few years back, I bought another flash from a garage sale for $0.25 with the hope that it might be useful sometime.
Now, I wonder if I can use any of them on my K-30? The flash shoes match the camera mechanically, but I am not sure if the contacts are fine or not. Are they so called hot shoes? I also heard that some old flashes have high voltage that may damage the camera. What do you think about these ones? I attached a couple of pictures.

Name:  IMGP0336.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  64.1 KB

Name:  IMGP0338.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  67.9 KB

12-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
The Braun is likely high voltage, I don't know about the other one. They wouldn't be much use anyway, they don't appear to have adjustable power levels of any form.

Test the voltage yourself if you really want to try to use one, but it is likely that they are unsafe on modern cameras.
12-08-2013, 10:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
according to Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages, the Braun hobby is not safe. I could not find information about the Optatron, so I would be very careful.

If you really want to use them, get a Wein SafeSync or wireless triggers (not sure if all of them can take the high voltage, but some can).
12-08-2013, 11:40 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you guys for your quick response. So, I must be happy that I haven't used them without asking this question.

12-09-2013, 06:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

FYI, you will soon discover that the Wein Safe Sync is around $50 or so, so it's not worth it for just any old flash. You can buy a complete new flash unit with safe trigger voltage for that amount, or less.

However, if you have an interesting old flash with useful features, or a collection of flashes that you like to swap around (like me), then it makes sense to add one to your arsenal.

And generic optical triggers are so cheap, they are almost disposable. Get a pocketful of those for your old flash collection.
12-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
You are right Tanzer. That's what I have already discovered. I just was curious if they work on the camera or not and I wanted to test them but fortunately I leaned it's not safe before I use them. I may still use them by triggers but as you said it's more reasonable to get a safe flash than the other one.