Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #1

K-30 mirror and software goes crazy

Hi everyone,

i post this in the general forum, because i read about similar problems with other pentax models, especially the k-5.

What's happening
==============

I turn on the camera and if i'm really lucky it works instantly. but most likely it starts with a freeze, doesn't accept any changes on anything, not even the on-off-button. i found out a procedure, to shut it off without removing the battery.

this software problems came along with another problem: the mirror goes totally crazy.

lets say, everything is okay when i start it up. i shoot through the viewfinder, after some photos (it varies, but mostly happens after the third shot) the mirror doesn't go back all the way. instead of an 45 angle it just goes to like 35-38. resutling in the viewfinder becoming pretty much useless. from this point on, the autofocus isn't working anymore, and the proposed exposure duration and iso goes way up. also the mirror now flops from time to time without reason. that there is no misunderstanding: the mirror is working, instead of jumping back to 45 it goes in that 38 position. it doesnt change if i turn it off an on again. but in LIVEVIEW mode, the camera is working absolutely normal.

now i can turn it off and remove the lens (pentax 18-135mm kit-lens). when i now turn it on without lens, the mirror goes up and comes down to the correct 45 position. shooting without lens, the mirror always comes back to the correct position. now i turn it off, put the lens back on, turn it on again. and the whole procedure starts again. i can shoot a few pictures, then most likely after the third one the mirror comes to that 38 position again.

What i tried
===========
-Upgraded the Firmware to 1.05
-Cleaned the contacts on lens and body
-made a factory reset
-turned on the "aperture ring" setting
-tried the "lens cleaning" from the menu
-recharged the battery
-setting battery from automatic to lithium

So, i'm certainly not a pro. i'm shooting with dslr since 4 months, therefore i don't have a second lens to try out on the body. i think, it might be an issue with the pentax lens. it seems, that it has somewhat as a grounding fault, which can cause crazy stuff. its just odd because i really treat this camera with care. i didn't bump it or drop it and always keep it in my case. it just came from one day to the next. maybe i'm just missing something really obvious, like a "mirror go crazy"-button

I will have to send it in, theres still warranty.

long story short. did anyone had an issue like this with this or another model?

12-10-2013, 12:33 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes you have the same fault as described in other threads, it's a known fault of which you a lucky only in it happens easily to be found by the repair centre, mostly when it happens it is very intermittent every 50 or more shots and the repair staff don't have the time or patience to keep taking shots to find the fault.
Any way known fault , mostly early models with low serial numbers, you need the main board replacing , it the same main motherboarfpd as the k5 models use. Which is why some early k5 units also had the fault,
Send it back with a copy of your detailed post above, and tell them main board fault.
12-10-2013, 12:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/233733-k30-getting-stuck-preview.html
12-10-2013, 04:12 AM   #4

Original Poster
@adwb: thank you very much for the reply.

seems like trouble. i'm gonna send it in today and most certainly keep a sad face for some time

i live in germany. in case anyone is interested, i'll keep you updated concerning repair time.

thank you pentaxians!

12-10-2013, 04:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

unless your repair centre is better than here it will be about 3-4 weeks before you get it back i would suggest you phone them before you send it and confirm exactly what hey want for proof of purchase and so on to avoid delays.
12-19-2013, 07:42 AM   #6

Original Poster
UPDATE!

wow, that was fast!! in germany there are two companys in three cities, that are certified to handle pentax warranty repairs. i sent mine to the smallest company in a more rural area. they received my package on december 12th and sent it back on december 17th. packaging was very good.

although i wrote them exactly what was wrong and that they should consider it could be the main board, they didn't mention the main board. this is what it says in the delivery notes.

performed service on body:
contacts cleaned; mechanics of mirror partially renewed; aperture adjustment renewed; firmware update

service on lens:
reviewed lens

it was all warranty. the camera works fine now. but now i'm considering to get a extended warranty...sooner or later. if it goes un-funky again, i'll update again. but for now: case closed! merry chrismas
01-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #7

Greetings,
This is my first post here, and I am having this exact problem. Can anyone point me to previous threads and potential solutions? My searches didn't come up with this exact issue.

From what I see here, it seems like I need to take it in for repair, which is disappointing considering I have only had the camera 5 weeks.

Cheers,
-burly
04-13-2014, 04:46 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
As above, did anyone else get any resolution with this problem. My (fairly early version) K-30 has just started doing this, about 2 weeks after being returned for a faulty Aperture Motor replacement repair.
Really losing faith in this model now with all these problems. Hoping it's an early production issue that can be resolved but my warranty is close to running out and I'm fearful of what it will cost me after this has gone!

04-13-2014, 11:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Get it in to pentax it's a known warranty fault, they need to replace the main board ,it is a known fault on some k5 bodies and many k 30 bodies.
04-14-2014, 07:21 AM   #10

I sent mine back to Pentax through a dealer, works perfectly now. I did have to pay shipping, but that is all.

Cheers,
Burly
09-04-2015, 07:21 PM   #11

Same thing is happening with my K-S1

I know this is an old thread, but just thought I'd let others know that this exact problem is happening with my K-S1 (less than 2000 shutter count). I think I'm screwed though because I bought it off of ebay and already left positive feedback. It was working perfectly and two days later this started happening. I don't even think the seller knew because it's not an intermittent problem - it was 100% fine and now does this 100% of the time. I guess I'll try a firmware update, but I'm not holding out hope though.
09-05-2015, 12:08 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SherriLee Quote
I know this is an old thread, but just thought I'd let others know that this exact problem is happening with my K-S1.
Take a few shots with no lens attached, then turn off, attach your lens again and see how it goes after that.

You'll first need to enable that menu option of allow aperture ring or similar, I forget.

Instructions for K-5 were these, hopefully they are similar on your camera:
Turn the rear E-dial and select pg. 4 in the Custom Setting menu.
Step down to Using Aperture Ring (setting #27).
Press the right arrow the the down arrow and highlight Permitted.
Press OK.
07-03-2016, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #13

Similar problem with my K-30

I'm posting this here in the hopes that it will help someone else in the future who is googling for a similar problem. I submitted the following to Pentax (Ricoh) tech support. Before I got a response, I was able to solve the issue using richandfleur's advice. See the UPDATE section below for the solution that seems to have worked for me:

My K-30 suddenly started going haywire after 2 1/2 years of no problems. It was not dropped or abused in any way.

When turned on, the shutter speed, aperture value, and sensitivity values start blinking. When I press the shutter release halfway, the autofocus lens alternates focus between the two extremes (when it responds at all). If it is able to take a picture, the picture comes out so overexposed the image is nearly white.

Turning the capture mode dial usually has no effect. Whatever mode was selected when the camera was first turned on is the mode that remains on the viewfinder.

Turning the main switch from ON to OFF does not turn off the camera anymore. The auto-shutoff feature does not work, either. Usually the only way to turn it off is to remove the battery.

I did fully charge the battery. I updated the firmware from version 1.00 to version 1.06 (the latest version for the K30). That had no effect.

The issue does not appear to be lens related. I have the same problems with both a Pentax DAL 18-55 lens and a Pentax DA 1:1.8 50mm lens.

I tried resetting the settings to their defaults, but that made no difference, either.

Is there a sensor that can be cleaned? It seems like the exposure metering sensor is causing a lot of the problems, but that does not explain why the camera won't turn off and the display becomes unresponsive. Is there a way to do a hard reboot of the operating system or a fresh install of the camera's software? Is this a repairable problem?

---------------------------
UPDATE: I took the lens off and snapped a few pictures. Put the lens back on and it worked for a bit, then went haywire again.

I took the lens off again and shot a bunch of pictures (maybe a dozen). Put the lens back on and it seems to be working fine.

Also, I made several changes back and forth to option 23., "Using Aperture Ring." The default is 1. I changed it to 2. Then back to 1. And back to 2. And finally back to 1. I did this both with the lens on and off. I'm not sure if this made any difference or if it is just a red herring, but I thought I should note it in case it's what ultimately helped fix the problem.

I've only taken a dozen or so pictures since my camera has been working again, but it seems to be holding up for now. I'm hoping I dodged a bullet with a potentially expensive repair.
07-03-2016, 02:35 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Good to know. Glad this worked for you too.

I went through the K-30 Aperture Motor stress and was so disappointed when the above happened to me. I was super relieved when it cleared, and I've never had it again, so I think/hope you are safe now.