Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA 18-55 WR focuses past infinity?

Greetings

I have a DA 18-55 WR that focuses past infinity. Is it normal? I have two copies of the DAL 18-55 that don't and I was told the optics were the same. Tried some astrophotos and its near impossible to focus to infinity in the dark in the middle of a hay field.

Regards

12-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yes, this is normal. It can be tough to focus in the dark, sometimes trial and error is the only option.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
Pentaxian

It is good that it focus past infinity. I has 2 lens, a kit lens, and a telephoto zoom, that doesn't focus to infinity at all, until I send it to service.

For good focus in astrofoto, I found only one straight way. If your camera has a HDMI output, buy an external monitor, like Liliput, or Feelworld, or better. You will see everything that you can see on the camera monitor, but better, on a bigger screen, and on any direction you want. Of course, must use manual focus, life view with info, to get the magnification up to 10x.
12-10-2013, 07:21 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Adam and JimmyDranox for clearing this issue. The K-30 doesn't have hdmi just usb. Though it seems possible to convert usb to hdmi. I'll look into it. thanks.

12-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Suggestions:

1. If you are in a spot where there is a road nearby or perhaps some type of farm house, etc, try to focus on some headlights or something else with lights under automatic. Then switch it to manual being careful not to change focus. For that matter you could also use a flashlight to lighten up something that is beyond the hyperfocal distance so that your camera can focus to infinity on that. It isn't too difficult when you are dealing the the wider angle lenses. I seem to recall being able to focus on something on the order of 20-ft (6 m+) away with a lens, which ended up being effectively infinity for that lens. Of course, that depends on the lens, focal length, and aperture.

2. If you can find a few bright stars in the sky, try to focus on them and take a test shot and then lock the focus for the remainder of the shots you want.

Otherwise, it is quite tricky even if you can utilize the suggestions. It's hard to lock a lens focus and move it around without potentially tapping or touching something unintentionally.
12-24-2013, 06:18 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks emalvick. Good idea, I'll check during the day the minimum distance at which focus sets to infinity. But this is one instance when quick shift focus is not helping. I have come to think that before taking long exposure I'll check focus with a short 10 s shot. I'll probably move on eventually to a 14 mm 1:2.8 for astro work.