Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by G and T Quote
Its already happening, Nikon's latest firmware updates have disabled 3rd party battery compatibility for several models.
Glenn
Well there you go:

/New Nikon Firmware Update Kills 3rd Party Battery Compatibility for Several Models

Thanks very much for this one G and T. Looks like theres a ROM chip inside Nikon batteries, and if the camera can't read that chip, then nadda !

Now I got two tin foil hats !

12-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Hm, I just remembered that Pentax releases a firmware update when a new lens hits the shelves. Often it says something like "optimized AF" for that specific lens. Thats already a nice advantage. The Pentax lenses get nice lens-specific AF algorithms, while other brands get the (intentionally left) poor "regular" AF.
Okay thanks Na Horuk, thats excellent !

Now I have a third tin foil hat !
12-18-2013, 11:07 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
I think your analogy falls apart with the camera market. Microsoft dominated the desktop market and was ultra-aggressive about continuing practices to reinforce that position. There is far greater choice in the DSLR market, so obvious I don't have to list the brands. The camera makers don't have to license their mounts and interfaces. They may--it may be prudent when they may later need a third party to manufacture one of their own branded lenses--but not to all third parties. From what I've read, Sigma totally reverse engineers their lens interfaces. This has created long-term compatibility issues for Canon and Nikon users for some lenses,but certainly not all. My Sigma and Tokina EOS-mount lenses work just fine.

M
Microsoft bundled Internet explorer with windows to shut out the third party browser companies.

Or, Microsoft cannot prohibit another software company from creating software to suit Windows, in fact Windows encourages it and facilitates it with freeware. Much like Apple applications, you can make an app and sell or give it away for free for Iphone. If you sell it Apple takes a 30% cut.

But what I meant refers to third party manufacture of any manufactured good. For instance non OEM car parts. The car manufacturers tried to stop third party manufacturers by invalidating a cars warranty if the owner used third party parts - the courts over turned this.

If the manufacturers had their way there'd be no third party anything and we'd get gouged by them. Courts and governments want diversity in the economy.

Regarding lens mounts and pins: Pentax would have patented it, which means you cannot make it without paying for a licence from Pentax. Much like in the communist era, Fiat sold licences to the commies to allow them to make Fiat 500's 124's etc.

I've seen similar debates on Pentax forums about Chinese knockoffs such as the cheap unlicensed battery grips for sale on ebay.
12-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sorry, much in your post is simply inaccurate and wrong. And your main point about third parties having to always license an interface with an OEM is not true either. The real world doesn't work that way.

QuoteOriginally posted by zoolander Quote
Much like Apple applications, you can make an app and sell or give it away for free for Iphone. If you sell it Apple takes a 30% cut.
Um, no. Jail-breaking is allowed and there are third-parties who sell apps that work on iOS without any Apple involvement or commission.

If the manufacturers had their way, there'd be no third party anything and we'd get gouged by them.
Um no, using Apple, they have a certification program for third-party products that claim to be "Made for iPhone' and includes branding that reflects that as a marketing tool. The idea is to build an ecosystem of third-party support. It seems to have worked.

Regarding lens mounts and pins: Pentax would have patented it, which means you cannot make it without paying for a licence from Pentax.
I don't understand your point here, but the reality is that the Pentax released the K-mount into the public domain a long time ago. That cultivated many third party options in both bodies and lenses. Whether it was a smart business decision is very hard to say and I'm not pretentious enough to proclaim an answer.

M

12-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Um, no. Jail-breaking is allowed and there are third-parties who sell apps that work on iOS without any Apple involvement or commission.
Um no, using Apple, they have a certification program for third-party products that claim to be "Made for iPhone' and includes branding that reflects that as a marketing tool. The idea is to build an ecosystem of third-party support. It seems to have worked.
I was talking about the istore. Yes I know you can purchase third party software across platforms.

I don't understand your point here, but the reality is that the Pentax released the K-mount into the public domain a long time ago. That cultivated many third party options in both bodies and lenses. Whether it was a smart business decision is very hard to say and I'm not pretentious enough to proclaim an answer.
From what I've read all the manufacturers have Patented their lens mounts. If you have a link that shows that Pentax didn't patent the K-mount or any other preceding mounts then please post it. Pentax files patents for all of its inventions or creations.

Here's a link describing the pentax K-mount patents (Asahi Pentax and Pentax SLR 35mm Cameras 1952-1989
By Danilo Cecchi):

Asahi Pentax and Pentax SLR 35mm Cameras 1952-1989 - Danilo Cecchi - Google Books

Which means if you manufacture the lens mount and put it on a lens you build, it would be unlawful to sell it without obtaining permission in the form of a license from Pentax - which you gotta pay cash-money for.