Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Can not trust sdm motor anymore.

I have k-5 and 16-50 for almost 2 and a half year. Recently, my lens started to not working sometimes which the focus ring does not move and stuck. If this happen during the work, it will be a big problem. I can not send this to pentax in colorado. I live in NY city!! No place and money to fix this. Because of this, im gonna buy new lens and camera but still expensive to me...

12-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You need to send it to CRIS Camera I think they are in Arizona. Repair would be much cheaper than a new camera and lens.

Also the focusing ring being stuck does not sound like an SDM issue, that only affects the autofocus, not the focusing ring.
12-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
You need to send it to CRIS Camera I think they are in Arizona. Repair would be much cheaper than a new camera and lens.

Also the focusing ring being stuck does not sound like an SDM issue, that only affects the autofocus, not the focusing ring.
Sdm motor is the problem in my case. Both focus ring and motor does not work well. I am not sure how much will cost for fixing...

I just found that the aperture is not circle shape at all..
12-12-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Try A Repair?

Hello rlatjsrud,
Here's the link for C.R.I.S., they're in Chandler, Az.
https://www.criscam.com/
And they have a drop-down menu where you can get a price quote for many camera bodies and lenses. Cris is the authorized Pentax repair service in the US.
I'd suggest an email or call would be better than just buying new gear. If you're in NYC, can you rent a lens for the time, while yours is being repaired?
Ron

12-12-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Aperture not circle shaped, focus ring stuck, that sounds more like damage not SDM. With SDM motor failure the focusing ring still works fine.

CRIS can get you a quote on the cost, check their website or give them a call I have found them good to work with.
12-12-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Twice my 50-135 has failed. CRIS can do a good job ...for about $240, but in a year or so it will have to go back again. Shame on Pentax for not making this right. As far as I know, they have never even acknowledged there is a problem?
Great lenses, but very expensive to own. If they would only let you use the screw drive on the K5 it would solve most of the problem.
Fuji replaced the sensors in tens of thousands of X10 cameras for a problem that rarely caused a ruined shot.........maybe they wanted to keep their customers happy?
Regards!
12-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Twice my 50-135 has failed. CRIS can do a good job ...for about $240, but in a year or so it will have to go back again. Shame on Pentax for not making this right. As far as I know, they have never even acknowledged there is a problem?
Great lenses, but very expensive to own. If they would only let you use the screw drive on the K5 it would solve most of the problem.
Fuji replaced the sensors in tens of thousands of X10 cameras for a problem that rarely caused a ruined shot.........maybe they wanted to keep their customers happy?
Regards!
Rupert, i believe what you say, but i think Ricoh/Pentax have solved the sdm deficiency. There are just not that many reports of failures any more. As to my own experience:

50-135, bought in 2009 - never any repairs
DA300, ditto
DA17-70 2010 ditto

Even if you look at Adams SDM report where folks logged in - there was a huge reduction in reports in recent years.

Sorry about your experience - i know several folks when thru that and i would have been bummed out too.
12-12-2013, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Rupert, i believe what you say, but i think Ricoh/Pentax have solved the sdm deficiency. There are just not that many reports of failures any more.
+1. Rupert, I am very sorry you had a bad experience with SDM, and I wish Pentax had "made it right" a long time ago, but I do think that the issue has been fixed. Maybe they should have publicly announced a problem and that would have made everyone feel better. But they chose to fix the issue and move on.

But in any event I do not think that SDM failure is the problem here. The OP reports that his aperture is no longer 'circular', and that the focus ring itself gets stuck. Neither of those issues have ever been reported with an SDM failure to my knowledge. It sounds to me as if the lens has been damaged in some way, either a drop or some other impact. I am sure the OP will say it has never been dropped but sorry, that's what I see from the description of the problem. And it does not matter, the lens is no longer in warranty so it just needs to be sent in to CRIS for a quote and repair. That will likely run several hundred dollars and will still be a tiny fraction of a new camera and new lens.

12-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Aperture not circle shaped, focus ring stuck, that sounds more like damage not SDM.
What he said.
12-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
Sdm motor is the problem in my case. Both focus ring and motor does not work well.
If the SDM motor is truly the problem, just deactivate it as explained here, and use screw drive.
12-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Been using my DA*200 for 3 years now with no problems so I thought I'd tempt faith and get the 300 version. I too think the OP's lens got damaged.

Last edited by Ahab; 12-12-2013 at 12:29 PM. Reason: added word
12-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
If the SDM motor is truly the problem, just deactivate it as explained here, and use screw drive.
I've looked a that, but I'm just an old plumber, not a person that should be playing with software files or camera lenses.The last lens I did surgery on still has little ball bearings showing up on my office floor every so often.....
Otis said he could handle it, but wants a railroad hopper car full of roasted peanuts to make the conversion.

Currently my 50-135 is working...I will add that even if it was only MF I would still want it, it is a superb lens!

Regards!
12-24-2013, 05:53 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Can anyone here actually confirm that the repair (motor &/or PCB replacement) that CRIS is currently capable of doing is actually a good working fix for the traditional SDM failure with the 50-135 lens.
I bought my 50-135 several years ago to use with my K10D. One year AND one month later the SDM failed. Luckily I was still (and am still) using a K10D which I was able to follow some instructions from this forum's members and back my Version down to 1.2. This deactivates the camera's desire to use SDM and reactivates the screw drive autofocus. I've been fine with this ever since. However, I want to update my camera to at least a K5 (maybe K5ii, K5iis, or even K3) where SDM is SDM and required to make the lens autofocus. I'm tired of this problem keeping me from upgrading. I've read somewhere here that the current fix is really a good fix and worth spending the couple hundred on. I'm hoping for some confirmation on this. Anyone?
Thanks,
Brian

A pentaxian since the late 60's
12-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I have k-5 and 16-50 for almost 2 and a half year. Recently, my lens started to not working sometimes which the focus ring does not move and stuck. If this happen during the work, it will be a big problem. I can not send this to pentax in colorado. I live in NY city!! No place and money to fix this. Because of this, im gonna buy new lens and camera but still expensive to me...
I don't understand, Why buy a new lens and camera if only the lens is broken? Is the camera also broken? Has it been dropped?
12-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This sounds like one of the balls in the focus helicoid may have jumped out of the track, which can happen if the lens receives a jolt. It happened to my 16-50 about four years ago. If you hold the lens horizontally and work the ring back and forth, the chances are that it will slip back into the track and stay there. The track will be bruised where it left, but working it manually for a few times will help to heal that spot. I can still feel mine occasionally, but it hasn't jumped out again (and I haven't jolted it again). I've also converted mine to screw thread, for no cost.