Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2013, 03:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

The last dying breaths of my old K10D?

Yes, it's a pretty old camera but it's been faithful to me for a very long time and haven't had a reason to switch... until perhaps now. Lately I started to get banding and it's gotten worse and worse for every month. It creeps slowly from the highest ISO setting, going down to the lower settings and now it's pretty much visible at ISO 320

Sample image shows a crop from two months ago at ISO 800 boosted one stop in post processing to enhance the banding.

I'm interested to know the reason for this ugly banding. I've tried to switch SD card to no avail so it's not that. Is the only solution to fix this problem apart from buying a new camera to get it repaired by a professional?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
12-13-2013, 04:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks to me like banding produced by an RF interference (either external or internal) that the circuitry is not coping with due to filter breakdown or a bad capacitor.
12-13-2013, 04:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Are you shooting with a third-party grip? I saw banding when I still had my K10, until I bought a genuine Pentax grip.
12-13-2013, 04:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No grip, just a Sigma 18-50, and the original barttery still going strong. And then the SD card which didn't matter what I used.

12-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
osv
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
that blue horizontal banding?

I've never been able to shoot my k10d at anywhere near 800 iso, there has always been ugly banding noise in it, even after processing in photoshop, 800 iso shows ugly grain in the prints... maybe not necessarily like the blue thing that you are seeing, but unusable nevertheless.

consider this problem an xmas present of sorts, that will force you to get a better, later model pentax... you'll be much happier in the long run.
12-15-2013, 04:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The grain has always been there of course, it's a 2006 model camera so sensor technology wasn't as good back then as it is now but the banding is new to me. It appeared sometime during the summer and just got worse and worse.
I was planning on getting a new camera but this might have pushed the purchase up in my priority list a bit faster. It's a shame though since I was hoping on having a usable backup camera that can produce nice photos up to ISO 560 but now...
Hence, I'm still looking for a solution that isn't too expensive, if it's possible to repair my poor camera.
12-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

My k100d also have similar problem. Looks like getting more noise with age. I do not know if it exactly noise or not but it looks like noise.
12-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StarDust Quote
but the banding is new to me
Banding was an issue early on with the K10D, though I have never seen it with my camera. Firmware version?

Steve

12-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

My sympathy.....my K10D was one of my favorite cameras. Although it had many weaknesses compared to my K5, the sensor rendered some unique qualities I dearly loved.
One of my favorite K10D shots...of many favorites....

1/20 Handheld ( Had that great SR!) F6.7 @ 500mm ISO 560

We had great times together, and when I got the K20D I gave it to a friend that had no digital camera....she still enjoys it to this day!

Best Regards!
12-17-2013, 03:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Joojoo2010 - I agree with you there. Slightly more noise than before but I can live with the more noise.

stevebrot - I think I've read that the problem existed on early production models, but I bought mine just before they rolled out he K20D. Firmware I think is 1.30, the last update.

Rupert - Yes that's a great photo, and I too love the SR on the K10D, I'm hoping it is at least as good on the new models, especially the K-3 which I've set my eyes on.
12-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StarDust Quote
I'm hoping it is at least as good on the new models, especially the K-3
Dead K10D? Excellent excuse to buy a K-3!

Steve
12-23-2013, 03:11 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My K10d occasionally had a banding problem, usually on really dark shots at almost any ISO 400 and above. I mostly just assumed it was a bad case of noise, although I had also noted it being more of an issue in cold temperatures.

The camera itself was always good otherwise, and it is still good despite the limited use it gets. Heck I took up a project this year going back and processing RAW files that were keepers then that I never got around to actually processing, and I am stil amazed at how good many of the shots were with the camera and almost any lens I used with it. I don't think I've even had the level of success with my K5 (which often turns out better photos) than I had with the K10d in terms of the quality. But that is digressing as the K5 is much better at high ISO and has not had any banding in any conditions.

Back to your post, I'm not sure what type of repair you could do. I think it is a sensor problem. The best you can probably do is work at the problem in post-processing, although my own experiences have been that it is impossible to completely rid of it as it is not your normal noise. You might just play around with your shooting style a bit and see whether shooting longer exposures at lower ISO might help or whatever other combos you can come up with. Or, invest in a newer camera (a K5 at a minimum) and free yourself of the issues associated with worrying about ISO.
01-18-2014, 02:52 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just wanted to say that I've finally upgraded to a K-3 and I'm not disappointed! A new spark of photographic frenzy has lit up!
01-18-2014, 09:12 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Congratulations! Time to update that signature tag.
01-18-2014, 09:42 PM   #15
Site Supporter

1/20 at 500mm? Are you a robot?

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
My sympathy.....my K10D was one of my favorite cameras. Although it had many weaknesses compared to my K5, the sensor rendered some unique qualities I dearly loved.
One of my favorite K10D shots...of many favorites....

1/20 Handheld ( Had that great SR!) F6.7 @ 500mm ISO 560

We had great times together, and when I got the K20D I gave it to a friend that had no digital camera....she still enjoys it to this day!

Best Regards!