Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax weather sealing: is it the real deal?

I've only ever had my K-5 out in light drizzling rain. I know that weather sealed Pentax cameras are rated to a tropical downpour, but I just want to ask a couple of questions before I rush out in heavy rain with it.

I've got the 18-135mm lens on it, and I was wondering if as you zoom in and out with the lens, it will draw in air like a syringe. So whats stopping water from coming into the camera besides the obvious ?

If there's water running over the body and you are zooming out (air getting pulled in), will it pull any water through the seals ? If I open the SD door, the lens zooms in and out much easier then with the door shut. Air is always being drawn in and out of the lens and body as you zoom in and out.

Should I be extra careful in the rain? Or is there nothing to worry about ?

12-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zoolander Quote
I've only ever had my K-5 out in light drizzling rain. I know that weather sealed Pentax cameras are rated to a tropical downpour, but I just want to ask a couple of questions before I rush out in heavy rain with it.

I've got the 18-135mm lens on it, and I was wondering if as you zoom in and out with the lens, it will draw in air like a syringe. So whats stopping water from coming into the camera besides the obvious ?

If there's water running over the body and you are zooming out (air getting pulled in), will it pull any water through the seals ? If I open the SD door, the lens zooms in and out much easier then with the door shut. Air is always being drawn in and out of the lens and body as you zoom in and out.

Should I be extra careful in the rain? Or is there nothing to worry about ?
Yes, you should be careful, and yes, water can potentially get in if you zoom a lot in the rain. With that said, chances are it won't, because of the way the seals are made. But the air's got to go somewhere...

Pentax's weather sealing is really good, just don't subject it to too much pressure and you should be fine.

The 50-135mm is a better zoom for adverse weather because it zooms internally, BTW.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I asked a similar question recently and got these helpful answers. Enjoy the weather!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/243785-so-how-wr...ms-really.html
12-13-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the sealing is quite good. That said I consider it to be insurance. And just like all insurance you hope to never actually need it. So while I trust the seals if I get caught out, I'm not going to stand out in the pouring rain to see if I can destroy my camera.

12-14-2013, 07:26 AM   #5
Banned

There have been millions of photos taken in all kinds of nasty conditions that were made long before weather sealing was even thought of. I've shot in all sorts of weather here in New England for the past 30+ years. Of that time, I've only had a "weather sealed" camera for about the past 5yrs. and I've never had a camera or lens ruined by the weather. A little care and common sense goes a long way to protecting your gear, so stop worrying and go out and shoot!
12-14-2013, 11:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks everybody for your help. Thanks to Frogoutofwater for the link, there were some interesting comments on that thread. I loved the video where the guy dipped his K-5 in the pool (not that i'll do that). Plus an image on the second page showing the canikon sport photographers with umbrellas and the Pentax K-30 shooter out in the open.

Very good advice I'll be careful when zooming out in the rain, and hopefully get an internally focusing lens some day when I have the bucks to splurge (I'm kind of a fan of primes though) !