Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #1

Artifacts in the photos from K-5

I just noticed strange artifacts when shooting photos against the sun. The parts of the image that are covered by the sun flares have a regular pattern. Other parts of the picture look normally. Is there a problem with the camera or software or I just simply reached its limits? Has anyone seen that before?
The picture is a crop of the affected area.
Shot at f2.4, 1/5000s, ISO400
Pentax 70mm, f/2.4

Attached Images

12-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
---- but, isn't this a screen-dump rather than a 100% crop??? You should upload a 100% non-resized crop of the same portion of your image file.
12-13-2013, 05:14 PM   #3

Original Poster
It is a screen dump indeed but it doesn't change the fact that the artifacts are still there and look the same as on 100% crop as attached now.
Attached Images

12-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What kind of artifacts?

12-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you were shooting into the sun, you may be seeing a variety of lens related issues, including lens flare and fringing. And if you were using a UV or 'protection' filter on the lens, the problem will likely be worse.
12-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris74 Quote
It is a screen dump indeed but it doesn't change the fact that the artifacts are still there and look the same as on 100% crop as attached now.
Still looks like a screen capture. Are you sure you know how to do a full-resolution crop*? Looking at your original upload, I see some JPEG dithering artifact (introduced in the conversion from RAW to JPEG and possibly related to chromatic aberration), but other than that and low contrast, the image is unremarkable.

Steve

* In case you don't...

For in-camera JPEG:
  • Open the original image in a photo editor with size set to 1:1
  • Select a portion of the screen (say 800x800 pixels) with the selection tool and copy the selected area to a new image
  • Save the new image as a JPEG with zero compression and include it in your message here
For RAW:
  • Import the RAW file into Lightroom or similar
  • Make a virtual copy and crop that to 800x800 pixels
  • Export as JPEG with zero compression and include the resulting image in your message here
I would suggest not attaching the file to your message since the forum software is sometimes not kind to attached images. I have found that it works better to upload to Flickr (or similar) and link to the image hosted there.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-14-2013 at 11:24 AM.
12-14-2013, 12:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Don't worry, it's just the NSA watching you
12-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #8
Site Supporter

I think we may have offended the OP. He was a new user and appears to have abandoned his thread. Too bad. I was really quite interested in actually seeing the artifacts he was concerned about.

Steve

12-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I think we may have offended the OP. He was a new user and appears to have abandoned his thread. Too bad. I was really quite interested in actually seeing the artifacts he was concerned about.

Steve
I don't see anyone doing something wrong though.