Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If the main photographers refuse to work with people with another camera than themselves I think that says more about them than you or Pentax. I have a standing opportunity to shoot with two great wedding photographers abroad (relatives) when opportunity shows up and I can tell you that they don't care about camera brands. They shoot with Canon but aren't snobbish at all about the brand, they know that it's the photographer behind the camera that matters the most.

They bought me an old Smena 8m to try to shoot film with for the experience and that says something about how open-minded they are!

12-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gurcem Eugene Zekai Quote
I hope Pentax releases an APS-H with 1.2-1.3x crop factor, but not likely. I did converted from FF and their advantages are not so great compared to compact system of Pentax.
IMO, the Cannikon shooters make bigger deal out of FF than it really needs to be because their crop vs FF sensors' performance differences are much greater than their FF to Pentax's APS-C. Sure there are advantages to FF but it's blown out of proportion because they dominate the market.
12-13-2013, 06:04 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gurcem Eugene Zekai Quote
Oh.. and portfolio usually doenst matters since last 10 weddings jobs in my area was described as "Second shooter needed, Canon users with fast zooms welcomed" even Nikon users suffers in UK .. lol
That sounds to me like the primary photographer wants someone to bring backup equipment.
12-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Anybody think that maybe, just maybe the primary shooter wants his secondary to use similar equipment to get similar results? You know, like one guy with a 5DII and the other with a 5DII which would simplify PP a lot? + what NicoleC said.

12-13-2013, 07:13 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Go out and knock on doors. Talk to every single wedding photographer in your district and tell them you're looking to second shoot. One of them will surely try you out. Be persistent.
12-13-2013, 07:16 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Could it be that the pros who request only Canon/Nikon shooters are concerned with the perception that their clients may have about certain brands being professional and others not? I'm sure that they would not want to have a guest show up with a better camera than what the pro was using. Which is why I leave my 645D at home when I get invited to a wedding.
I agree with the statement that it's more likely a compatibility issue - meaning everyone's equipment is interchangeable among everyone else in the shooting pool. Plus the fact that if everyone uses the same gear there's going to be a uniform look among the images. However, if the cameras are all properly profiled with a Color Checker, then that may not be an issue.
12-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #22
Site Supporter

From what I understand, Full Frame is great for prints, but for electronic images, they all have to be downsized anyway to be useful on the Web. I shoot with a Pentax K-r. Most people think the results are excellent. The general public does not care what camera you are using. They care about results. Do the pictures look pleasing? Did you use your photographer's eye to capture priceless moments?

Never be ashamed of using Pentax. Be proud. And just be a photographer, someone who has a passion for capturing images to add beauty and meaning to our world. The brand of camera is not an issue but is unfortunately a misconception among the uninformed.
12-14-2013, 01:12 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have to say that I'm mainly a Canon shooter (since I have two Canon cameras) but I may even things out between my two Canon cameras and my Pentax camera. I can't really sit here and say what the quality of Pentax equipment is since the only Pentax camera I've got is a K1000SE but in my opinion, it does not matter what camera you use. It's what the photographer does that will get results and not the equipment you use. Having quality equipment does help a little but what matters most is your knowledge and skills as a photographer and how you use your equipment. That's just my opinion.

12-14-2013, 05:44 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh Dear !! I have 'only' Hasselblad or Rolleiflex 2.8F Planar for when I did weddings ---
12-14-2013, 08:52 AM   #25
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxpete Quote
Oh Dear !! I have 'only' Hasselblad or Rolleiflex 2.8F Planar for when I did weddings ---
Poor you.. you need a Canon Rebel with touch screen
12-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #26
Pentaxian

If it's all about image quality specs from the sensor, all digital Leica shooters would be forbidden to shoot wedding. Nor do they AF.
12-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I agree with you all that it's not what you have, but what you do with it that matters. This is true just as long as what you have allows you to do what you want to do with it AND doesn't put you at a disadvantage among your competition.
12-14-2013, 10:26 AM   #28
Pentaxian

This reminds me of the comparison between the D800 and a Hasselblad at a marketing company. They are really nitpicking and "see and say" some things that simply aren't really true, just to defend their hyper expensive equipment.

I think this is the most important and true part:
"A lot of times we go on location with our Canon or Nikon and somebody will have the exact same camera. And that is something we can't have as professionals. We have to to have the highest level."

That explains a lot of the equipment and brand snobbism out there. But I think it's sad when professionals hides behind the equipment rather than sell on skill and knowledge.

12-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
i love the 5"20 "the skin tone don't compare at all" (the D800E is just a bit more saturated XD )

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I think this is the most important and true part:
"A lot of times we go on location with our Canon or Nikon and somebody will have the exact same camera. And that is something we can't have as professionals. We have to to have the highest level."
it's at 16'15".

I found this funny because some of the best pictures of peoples / weeding / landscape where often made with very average camera, or film camera. No top notch gear, but just something author handle very well, and really know how to use it.
12-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
i love the 5"20 "the skin tone don't compare at all" (the D800E is just a bit more saturated XD )

it's at 16'15".

I found this funny because some of the best pictures of peoples / weeding / landscape where often made with very average camera, or film camera. No top notch gear, but just something author handle very well, and really know how to use it.
As I said, they see and say stuff that aren't true, making them look stupid. If they can't handle simple color check, profiling and desaturation I don't know if I would hire them. The Hasselblad is a tiny bit better but not close to how they make it sound. Also Nikon got tethering too.

Many of the top 100 ranked pics in the world are made with cameras that can't be considered "the top of the line". If you're afraid of your good camera still being too bad to be able to be successful you aren't good enough as a photographer.