Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #31
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
If you're afraid of your good camera still being too bad to be able to be successful you aren't good enough as a photographer.

To add more to this point: My top 5 photos along with my few top sellers had been captured with a Kodak Z990. It took 3 mins to save 1 RAW file but damn cheap 28-840 lens <3

Edit: That woodenblad vs d800 video gave me cancer

Last edited by Gurcem Eugene Zekai; 12-14-2013 at 01:06 PM.
12-14-2013, 01:28 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
This reminds me of the comparison between the D800 and a Hasselblad at a marketing company. They are really nitpicking and "see and say" some things that simply aren't really true, just to defend their hyper expensive equipment.

I think this is the most important and true part:
"A lot of times we go on location with our Canon or Nikon and somebody will have the exact same camera. And that is something we can't have as professionals. We have to to have the highest level."

That explains a lot of the equipment and brand snobbism out there. But I think it's sad when professionals hides behind the equipment rather than sell on skill and knowledge.

D800 vs Medium Format with Roth and Ramberg - YouTube
Although this is completely off the topic of this thread now, VD I think you are wrong, the couple weren't hiding behind their Hasselblad. They were spot on, the D800 is terrible when it comes to tones, its an entry level pro FF.

The narrator was all super keen to show a D800 beat a medium format camera, but in the end it couldn't. Plus the Hasselblad is running a CCD sensor, just wait till medium format finally get CMOS sensors. Once the medium format manufacturers get CMOS sensors, they'll leave 35mm behind. Plus the tethering didn't even work on the D800 - its clearly no sale to the couple. The Nikon fanboys are all talking about the D800 being this medium format killer, but its not.

Some people want to have the best and most top notch equipment when they're in business, the canikon gear is just a toy compared to medium format. Yeah, canikon is great for photojournalism and photojournalism wedding photography.

As for the original meaning of this thread, the Photographer wanted consistency across the images for the second shooter. I'm not a professional photographer and I looked at going to some colleges to study, and the prerequisite was every student own a 35mm Canon or Nikon DSLR and assortment of lenses. As much as I don't like the business models of Canon and Nikon, if I were pursing photography as a proffession, I'd be getting a Canon FF and lenses, and my Pentax would be a back up and for other photographic projects. Or I'd wait for a FF Pentax.

If you want to be a professional you're gonna need certain camera gear. My K-5 has amazing image quality and I've got a camera bag full of lenses, but I couldn't look for work as a second photographer because the industry shoots in a photojournalist style with big f/2.8 zooms, which I don't own yet.

I can't go up to a trucking company and ask for a contract to haul trailers with my Toyota Camry, I'd need a prime mover for that.

Last edited by zoolander; 12-14-2013 at 01:38 PM.
12-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #33

Makes me wonder if they'd turn you down you you said your Pentax kit was a 645D?
12-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #34

Like my uncle always told me, "The best/most expensive camera in the world doesn't matter if you can't take good pictures with a bad camera. Spending a ton of money won't make you a better photographer."

12-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #35
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by phreon Quote
Makes me wonder if they'd turn you down you you said your Pentax kit was a 645D?
It has not featuring a wooden grip like Hasselblad so i dont know ^^. To be fair, as much as i want to buy a 645N, i switched to APS-C because of size. Smaller bodies + smaller lenses and the results are pretty much same. Do i miss my Canon 24-105 f4 ? YAAAY..do i miss my 6D ? may it burn in hell
12-15-2013, 02:00 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gurcem Eugene Zekai Quote
Hey guys, i am recently became a pentax user 3-4 months ago. Before that i was a second wedding shooter for 2-3 years. But as soon as i switched to Pentax i found myself unable to find a job, in UK.

then work for your self

Well the first reason they don't want me anymore is i don't have a f2.8 tele zoom which is my fault. But why some "pros" very obsessed with Full Frame cameras and overlook brands like Pentax and Tamron ? i literally got answers like not being sure of my Tamron and Pentax lenses quality because they are not canikon or sigma & ofc using Pentax.

I laugh at theses fan boys who have suckered into buying expensive in house brand lenses that are freely available from other third part mags

Ps: I do know and understand people wanting to work with others using same brand but why so much discrimination against Pentax ?
I agree with the last point , I used to use second shooters who had Nikon and even worse canon bodies, I got so sick of correcting their over exposed over saturated images to match mine that I stopped using them, bought a couple more pentax bodies and trained my wife. I woman second is far more use any way, better for the bride at home, "sees" with a woman's perspective which adds to the shots.

Where are you based?
12-15-2013, 04:09 AM   #37
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
Where are you based?
I live in Stoke on Trent mate but don't mind traveling for work. It is a small town/city that only fun is going Morrisons.

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
bought a couple more pentax bodies and trained my wife
In my story, my girl friend trained me to become her second shooter years ago
12-15-2013, 06:15 AM   #38
Veteran Member

yes you'r a bit far away,

12-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #39
Veteran Member

In regards to the post on "it's not about the gear," when I was in photojournalism school in late 90s, the collegiate photographer of the year worked with a used K1000 and a 50mm - THAT'S IT. 'nuff said.