Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Getting jobs as Pentax user

Hey guys, i am recently became a pentax user 3-4 months ago. Before that i was a second wedding shooter for 2-3 years. But as soon as i switched to Pentax i found myself unable to find a job, in UK.

Well the first reason they don't want me anymore is i don't have a f2.8 tele zoom which is my fault. But why some "pros" very obsessed with Full Frame cameras and overlook brands like Pentax and Tamron ? i literally got answers like not being sure of my Tamron and Pentax lenses quality because they are not canikon or sigma & ofc using Pentax.

Ps: I do know and understand people wanting to work with others using same brand but why so much discrimination against Pentax ?

12-13-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, larger sensors certainly have their advantages. Even though there's little you can't do with the current Pentax system, I wouldn't be surprised if you were more likely to get hired if you invested in a camera that's mainly used by professionals.

I'm sure Pentax will release their full frame sooner or later

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The best argument - look at my work. If that is not enough, then you are probably not good enough.
12-13-2013, 03:17 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apapukas Quote
The best argument - look at my work. If that is not enough, then you are probably not good enough.
I hope Pentax releases an APS-H with 1.2-1.3x crop factor, but not likely. I did converted from FF and their advantages are not so great compared to compact system of Pentax.

Oh.. and portfolio usually doenst matters since last 10 weddings jobs in my area was described as "Second shooter needed, Canon users with fast zooms welcomed" even Nikon users suffers in UK .. lol

12-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gurcem Eugene Zekai Quote
why some "pros" very obsessed with Full Frame cameras and overlook brands like Pentax and Tamron ?
The tools of the trade are Canon and Nikon. That's a reality bigger than both of us. Why that is may be unfair and partially unfounded, but if you want to make it as a wedding shooter the solution is obvious. Camera brand choice is not religion.

M
12-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
The tools of the trade are Canon and Nikon. That's a reality bigger than both of us. Why that is may be unfair and partially unfounded, but if you want to make it as a wedding shooter the solution is obvious. Camera brand choice is not religion.

M
Well said sir, I believe i shall be fine once i settled with the area and make some networking but for some people brands mean more than religion
12-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

...as soon as i switched to Pentax i found myself unable to find a job, in UK.
With whom? Presumably you are looking to work with other photographers? If that's the case, why not go on your own?
12-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
With whom? Presumably you are looking to work with other photographers? If that's the case, why not go on your own?
Agree 100%!

You work as a second shooter to get a portfolio and experience.

If you are shooting weddings for 2-3 years, I believe you should be more than ready to make your first steps as the main shooter.

12-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Believe me i really though about that, even opening a small studio. But unfortunately i never shot a church wedding or christian wedding in my life ( shot two weddings in UK and they were Islamic based). So my portfolio isn't very relevant and i do feel i need to know special "events" in weddings here before moving on as my own.

but one day.. one day
12-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Believe me i really though about that, even opening a small studio. But unfortunately i never shot a church wedding or christian wedding in my life ( shot two weddings in UK and they were Islamic based). So my portfolio isn't very relevant and i do feel i need to know special "events" in weddings here before moving on as my own.

but one day.. one day
It doesn't matter what kind of weddings it was. Really.
What does matter is:
1. How good are you at photography. Are your clients satisfied with the results you deliver?
2. How good are your communication skills. Do people enjoy working with you?

And forget this "one day.. one day" Don't limit yourself for no reason.
12-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #11
Pentaxian

i never shot a church wedding or christian wedding in my life
Well, I would try to crash as many as possible (without a camera) just so you get the process, flow, rituals, and important parts understood. Scout out potential shooting positions, take some notes. If you dress up enough no one will question your presence.

M
12-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Well the first reason they don't want me anymore is i don't have a f2.8 tele zoom which is my fault ....
Well you said this yourself. I don't have wedding experience, but it seems someone in the photo pool has to have a fast telephoto. You could get the DA*50-135, which others say is an awesome portrait lens.
12-13-2013, 04:49 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some say no Canon no go but I say Nikon has the most lenses
12-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #14
Site Supporter

I shoot college basketball photos courtside with a Pentax and get a lot of props and respect from people with FF cameras, so I wouldn't say it's impossible to get a decent job as a Pentax or even an APS-C camera user. (One of my colleagues uses a Canon T3i and gets pretty good results.)
12-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Well you said this yourself. I don't have wedding experience, but it seems someone in the photo pool has to have a fast telephoto. You could get the DA*50-135, which others say is an awesome portrait lens.
I have a Tamron 70-200 f2.8 but left it at Cyprus and took Pentax 55-300 instead.. My UK trip wasn't intended to be permanent

But jokes aside i don't feel ready to start my own business purely because for getting little bit of experience and initial investment

and thanks for the all comments and advices guys, you make me realize stuff that i overlooked