Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2013, 04:21 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
remote will not work on my K5

Hi All --the remote will not work on my K5 - I have got a cheep remote from ebay to use on my Pentax K5 -- I have switched remote on the camera ( red light flashing ) i have checked the battery on the remote and even got a second one to try but no luck -- I will have to buy a proper pentax one to try but i am very short of cash ! any suggestions please ? Pete

12-14-2013, 05:23 AM   #2
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Use the 2 second delay until you can get a decent remote.
12-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I got a JJC remote for made my Pentax K50 on Ebay and it works fine.. I had the same brand a few years ago made for my Olympus camera and it worked fine on that one also. The one I bought for my Oly came with a nifty shield that attaches to the lens and extends out far enough to use the remote from behind, that also works on my K50. I also use a wired remote, to me it is somewhat easier to use and with the menu selected to allow the remote to focus I don't have the remote's difficulty using the button for focusing vs using the wireless .

I did read some where the sensor remote battery on my camera lasts for apprx. 30,000 activations then you have to send the camera in to have that battery replaced.
12-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pete C Quote
Hi All --the remote will not work on my K5 - I have got a cheep remote from ebay to use on my Pentax K5 -- I have switched remote on the camera ( red light flashing ) i have checked the battery on the remote and even got a second one to try but no luck -- I will have to buy a proper pentax one to try but i am very short of cash ! any suggestions please ? Pete
Is the remote actually working ? Use your phone camera to see if the IR LED actually lights up - you should be able to see it flash every time that you press the remote button.

12-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Usually there is a little plastic tab that you have to pull out before using the remote. Make sure that you have pulled it out. The tab keeps the battery disconnected so it doesn't drain unnecesarily while waiting to be sold.

Edit to add: also check this thread : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/176290-wireless-sutter-tv-remote.html

You might already unknowingly have a suitable remote at home.
12-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
Hey Pete,

I picked up a few of these earlier this year, JJC ones. Out of the 4 I bought one was a dud. I informed the seller and they simply replaced it.

12-15-2013, 02:24 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The problem is I think you bought a chicken "cheep" remote, what you want is a camera one.

12-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
adwb you got it right ! both cheep remotes would not work - I finally got a 'proper' pentax waterproof remote and it works perfectly :-) thanks all for you advise