Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2013, 05:19 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
RAW --> Jpeg in LR5, i get ugly results, need advice

Hi all,

i try to figure out Lightroom and iīm quite happy with my first results after PP in Raw.
My problem is, when i export a picture it looks way worse than my raw file.
I set qualitry to 100% and played a bit with the pixelcount and forgot what the first setting was. Perhaps that is the problem.
I havenīt clicked sharpening or any colorsetting. I had biggest problems with reds as is to be expected.

If anyone has a suggestion what i might have done wrong, i will be very happy.

Thanks a lot.

12-15-2013, 05:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you resticting filesize e.g. "set filesize to xxxK"?
What colorspace do you use?
12-15-2013, 05:51 AM   #3

Can you be more specific about what's wrong with the JPEGs? Can you post an example?
What program are you using to view the JPEGs?
12-15-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Wait, please be a little more clear. So you are saying you take photos in raw (dng, I presume?) and then you PP the raw file in LR, and it looks good the way LR shows it. But then you press export and select the format to be jpeg, and export it to disk. And then when you open that jpeg, it looks worse than the processed raw in LR?And this is on the same screen/monitor? Maybe if you tell us what settings you chose in the export dialog box or attach a jpeg (if you attach it, make sure its not too big for the forum)
And colour space is also important. Its usually best to have it set to sRGB in Camera and all post processing software as well, because changing colour space can make things look weird. This is especially a problem because many websites will automatically try to change the jpeg to sRGB if its in any other colour space, and in the process, they might ruin the photo.
And of course you need to look at the quality/compression slider when you make jpegs - high compression means small files but low quality (fewer colours, less detail, more jpeg artifacts). So you want quality somewhere in the 70-100 range.

Here is some additional info. Every raw file has the raw data that the camera captured and also preview jpegs. That is why you can shoot BW and raw - the photos will look BW on the camera LCD when you press play, and some galleries/image viewers will also show you the BW thumbnail. But real raw editors will interpret the raw data and let you affect this interpretation (as in, post process the image). Raw image data does not look great, it will be grey and bland, but once you PP it, you can turn it into a nice photo. You cannot PP a jpeg, because the jpeg is already an interpretation of the raw data, and it is compressed in a lossy format. It doesnt contain all the data of the original capture. That is why sometimes users get confused when they view jpegs, and raw files, and thumbnails of raw files...

Last edited by Na Horuk; 12-15-2013 at 08:46 AM.
12-15-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Sorry, iīm an idiot. I looked at my pictures in a preview mode and there only a downgraded version was shown.
Opening the jpegs in gimp worked just fine.
And getting a pic on facebook isnīt the best place to show it as well.
I should slap myself.
12-15-2013, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arne Bo Quote
I should slap myself.
Don`t bother, we can do this for ya