Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #1

Want to get a Pentax Camera. [Video, Beginner]

Hi,

I'm completely new to forums. I want to buy a Pentax camera, mainly because there are already 3 (K20D, K200D, K-m) in my family and there's a boatload of lenses to pick from. I have limited experience with all of them, and am happy with using manual focus and manual exposure/aperture.

I was eyeing K-30 and K-01, but apparently they both have only H.264 with very limited bitrate. I have no problem with H.264, but having more bitrate would be nice. Can anyone confirm that? Is one better than the other in terms of video quality? Is there another Pentax camera that does H.264 better? Any chance pentax will up bitrate with a firmware update?
Is k-50 better than K-30 for shooting movies? As far as I understand they're very similar.

Thanks.

12-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ploki Quote
Hi,

I'm completely new to forums. I want to buy a Pentax camera, mainly because there are already 3 (K20D, K200D, K-m) in my family and there's a boatload of lenses to pick from. I have limited experience with all of them, and am happy with using manual focus and manual exposure/aperture.

I was eyeing K-30 and K-01, but apparently they both have only H.264 with very limited bitrate. I have no problem with H.264, but having more bitrate would be nice. Can anyone confirm that? Is one better than the other in terms of video quality? Is there another Pentax camera that does H.264 better? Any chance pentax will up bitrate with a firmware update?
Is k-50 better than K-30 for shooting movies? As far as I understand they're very similar.

Thanks.
The K-50 is the same video-wise as the K-30, so is the K-01 except that it supports an external mic, which is nice. They all have the same audio sampling rates and video framerates. Firmware isn't going to improve any of the key specs- at least it hasn't yet.

Video isn't Pentax's forte, so if you're key use will be video, I'd honestly look at everything that's out there- including dedicated camcorders.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for your answer.

So the internet is pretty much right : K-01 is K-30 without the prism and the mirror, and K-30 = K-50 in a different housing.

Too bad... Pentax is a great choice because it has so many lenses, and many of them cheap + MF isn't really a problem for video.

What about that thread about 1.00 K-30 having less artefacts than 1.03 fw?

I still want to stay Pentax though...
Camcorders are pretty rigid anyway, and much everybody I know shoots with a DSLR (5D mk3) or MILC (GH2).
I was eyeing the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera, but... Many things aren't really making me go crazy about it, sole exception being ProRes 4:2:2.

But I guess if I want to do anything seriously I better spend that 500$ on some lights and reflectors anyway, will probably improved my video more than a better codec.

In light of that circumstances I can't imagine why would I pick K-01 over K-30? Anything in favor of K-01 there? (except being a little smaller and lighter)
12-15-2013, 06:23 PM   #4

Original Poster
(can't seem to edit since its not yet approved):

I am happy with frame-rates (25p all I want anyway), but the bit rate bugs me, seems less bit rate means more compression.

supposedly K-01 has around 20-22mbps @1080p25. (according to Digital Cameras, Digital Camera Reviews - The Imaging Resource!). They have no data for the k-30 though... so even though the frame rates are the same, I'm wondering about bit rates, if the K-01 sports the same aggressive compression as the K-30.

Although I would appreciate the prism viewfinder I'd gladly give it away for a better video codec.

12-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #5
Pentaxian

If you want a Pentax camera, K-30 (or K-50, difference is mostly looks) is great. K-01 is also an awesome camera, but it is not a DSLR. It is a mirrorless and it has no OVF. Its AF is also a little slower with certain lenses. I use my K-01 for most things, but I grab my K-r (older Pentax DSLR) when I need fast AF or burst mode.
These days you can also find really amazing deals on K-5 (K-5II?) camera, but this one is more advanced. It has a steeper learning curve. The K-5 also has a different video codec, I think, but I am not sure. I am not a video guy.
In all fairness, as Adam said, if video is your #1 thing, you might want to look at Canon or buying an actual video recorder instead of a DSLR, which is mainly made for still photography.
On the other hand, I have seen plenty of videos done with K-5 and K-01, and they were completely professional looking, top notch quality. Feel free to search the forums for some threads where users post their K-01 videos. There are some on youtube as well. Thing is, with videos, the lighting and script and lens and tripod are often the key elements. The camera codec/bitrate can make things easier, sure, but its usually not the single most important part. Nobody will look at your video and say "I would have liked it, if there were more binary data per frame.."
Oh, just one thing, keep in mind that Pentax cameras, as far as I know, do not allow focus peaking or continuous AF during video recording. You can AF, but it will re-focus, rather than "track" a subject as it moves around. For some people with very specific needs, issues like that are important. For a beginner, amateur, or hobbyist, they are usually not an issue.
So K-30/K-50. Or K-01 and you can buy a nice lens, mic, or lights with the money you save.

I seem to remember many old threads.
Here is one thread. And another. And some K-01 footage from Elle magazine photoshoot: here.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 12-15-2013 at 06:56 PM.
12-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
The K-5 also has a different video codec
It shoots .AVI files, which have fewer artifacts but require a camera-specific codec which causes compatibility issues with lots of software.

The K-5 also doesn't support manual video controls, so I wouldn't recommend it over the K-01 for video.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Blackmagic Design Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera

Tons of lens options with that mount and adapters.
12-16-2013, 06:16 AM   #8

Original Poster
@Corto-PA There's something unsettling about adapters... I don't know. And I'm also not 100% sure I want to get a video camera without decent stills.
Perhaps I'll wait till used ones show up and fiddle with DSLR video at first, I'm not really into "shooting family moments" or stuff like that, so I'll probably need to develop some skills before diving seriously into video anyway, for which K-30 should suffice anyway...

Thank you all for answers!

So is there any definitive answers on K-01 vs K-30 as far as artefacts and bit rates go?

Thanks for chiming in guys.

12-16-2013, 09:11 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ploki Quote
So is there any definitive answers on K-01 vs K-30 as far as artefacts and bit rates go?
I think we had a thread some time ago on this, but there were no definite answers. We just dont know. Most members agree that they are virtually identical in terms of video quality. The only difference being that the K-01 has a different shutter design (no mirror, its always in live view), a very weak AA filter (so, sharper photos), and the mic jack (which can be really useful). The K-01 is also significantly smaller, so you can just take it with you whenever you go exploring.
Once you update the K-01s firmware, the AF and video controls will also improve. Most of us that got a K-01 really enjoy it
12-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I think we had a thread some time ago on this, but there were no definite answers. We just dont know. Most members agree that they are virtually identical in terms of video quality. The only difference being that the K-01 has a different shutter design (no mirror, its always in live view), a very weak AA filter (so, sharper photos), and the mic jack (which can be really useful). The K-01 is also significantly smaller, so you can just take it with you whenever you go exploring.
Once you update the K-01s firmware, the AF and video controls will also improve. Most of us that got a K-01 really enjoy it
I'd put in another vote for the K-01, it's good and it's a cheap option. A K30 or K50 becomes a K-01 in movie mode anyway when it switches to the EVF.
There have been some real bargains in the past although I notice that prices are picking up a bit on a well known online auction site or indeed the market here.
12-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for all answers!

I'm following ebay and am currently more leaning towards K-30, two failed auctions already (one K-01 and one K-30).
As far as prices go, they're surprisingly similar on ebay, so I really don't care about that much. Same price, one is bigger and gets an OVF, the other smaller. I can go with either to be honest.

However, I've been in the shop today and held a few different canons and nikons (ofc they didn't have pentax) and the feel of DSLR kind of suits me more. + I want to jump on the DSLR bandwagon before it derails, it just feels more right.

I'll probably kick myself in the ass for picking the one without a microphone input, but if I figure I love video that much I'll just sell it and get a BMPCC, and I need to get a portable recorder already anyway.

@Na-Horuk: I thought they both employ aa filter via sensor-shake?
12-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #12

Original Poster
Ah, okay.

There was something about sensors shake reduction in combination with rolling shutter of CMOS sensors that made K30/01 videos especially jellylike
12-28-2013, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #13

Original Poster
If anyone cares (or not) I got a K-30, an insane deal 300euros with 18-55 DA L kit, new!

This is such a good camera incredible