Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Customs/Shipping From Japan into Canada

Dear forums members.
Maybe someone could help me with this.
I was looking at some nice used lenses on Ebay, I've found one and it ships from Japan with a price close to 1000$.
I'm wondering if anyone has some experience in shipping from Japan and dealing with customs fees and taxes.
I could expect 14% tax from HST.
Thanks!
Seba

12-16-2013, 03:57 PM   #2

This link is a section of the Canada Customs and Tariffs, 2013, dealing with photographic goods. Chapter 90 T2013-2
Japan is listed as MFN (Most Favoured Nation) and goods would be subject to any duties applied under the MFN provision. Hopefully someone with first hand experience will reply before you have to read through government statutes.

Regards
12-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bluenose Quote
This link is a section of the Canada Customs and Tariffs, 2013, dealing with photographic goods. Chapter 90 T2013-2
Japan is listed as MFN (Most Favoured Nation) and goods would be subject to any duties applied under the MFN provision. Hopefully someone with first hand experience will reply before you have to read through government statutes.

Regards
Thank you for the information!
12-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Any goods imported into Canada are subject to being taxed, in your case the Ontario 14% HST.

However if the item is coming via regular mail CBSA “may not" impose the tax, as it’s totally up to them if they do or not. (It's like driving across the border from the US with items you purchased, sometimes they let you go without paying even if you are over your personal limit.)

If the item comes via courier, you "will" be charged the HST and a fee for the courier clearing the item through customs.

Phil.

12-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Any goods imported into Canada are subject to being taxed, in your case the Ontario 14% HST.

However if the item is coming via regular mail CBSA “may not" impose the tax, as it’s totally up to them if they do or not. (It's like driving across the border from the US with items you purchased, sometimes they let you go without paying even if you are over your personal limit.)

If the item comes via courier, you "will" be charged the HST and a fee for the courier clearing the item through customs.

Phil.
Thank you Phil
I think the seller uses Japan Post.
12-17-2013, 02:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Most likely, the seller will ship using Japan Post EMS (Express Mail Service) in which case the odds are against you in not paying customs duty.

EMS is very efficient and reliable, plus the package can be insured for value up to $2,000 or thereabouts.

Registered Airmail has the advantage of tracking over standard Airmail and it MAY avoid checks by the customs office, but the package can only be insured for around $70 max.

For a lens that's worth $1000, I doubt the seller will agree to ship via Registered Airmail.
12-17-2013, 06:31 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tom1803 Quote
Most likely, the seller will ship using Japan Post EMS (Express Mail Service) in which case the odds are against you in not paying customs duty.

EMS is very efficient and reliable, plus the package can be insured for value up to $2,000 or thereabouts.

Registered Airmail has the advantage of tracking over standard Airmail and it MAY avoid checks by the customs office, but the package can only be insured for around $70 max.

For a lens that's worth $1000, I doubt the seller will agree to ship via Registered Airmail.
Thank you Tom, I'm still trying to make up my mind about that lens.
I'll consider this thread closed, I have a friend in China coming now to Canada, so that would help.
12-18-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get your Chinese friend to check lens prices here in China. Or pm me. The dealer in Chengdu that I use is often very competitive on price, and if your friend fetches the lens it probably won't get taxed.