Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2014, 07:17 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had a similar experience the other day. I thought I had my 645D seated properly in the Arca Swiss mount of my Z2 head. So when I let go of the camera to tighten the screw, the camera fell off of the top of the ball head. I just caught the strap before the camera hit anything. But after that experience and several others where the screw wasn't tight enough, I want to change out the screw mount to a leaver quick release mount instead so I don't have to worry about user error.

03-14-2014, 02:33 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carolina_sky Quote
For anyone who is interested in the outcome, I did end up sending it to CRIS, and they repaired it for ~$400 (after a lengthy wait for a part from Pentax). So it was definitely worthwhile pursuing this. Initial tests suggest it is as good as new. so big thanks to CRIS and to those who pointed me in the right direction here (@Stevebrot, @jatrax, @psychdoc - thanks all!)
Bear in mind for that $400 you will have been serviced and calibrated.

So all in all you've got a better lens than before the fall as 'new' lens aren't individually tested..
03-14-2014, 05:48 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Bear in mind for that $400 you will have been serviced and calibrated.

So all in all you've got a better lens than before the fall as 'new' lens aren't individually tested..
Confirmed! Lens is actually better than new. I think it had some focus issues before, I was disappointed in lack of crispness in some shots, seems more consistently super sharp. Not a large sample set but I've used it twice in the past week and shots look great.