Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Reputable beginner resources to expand knowledge & understanding

While I've had my k-x for a number of years, I possess only a basic understanding of its use beyond fully automatic settings. And of course, now I've gone & bought a BF k-5ii, which is so much more camera than I understand. I'm passing the k-x to my 13 year old daughter. I think it would be good for both of us to learn to utilize these fine photographic tools. So, I'm looking for good, quality instruction, preferably in a simple easy to understand format.

12-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
While I've had my k-x for a number of years, I possess only a basic understanding of its use beyond fully automatic settings. And of course, now I've gone & bought a BF k-5ii, which is so much more camera than I understand. I'm passing the k-x to my 13 year old daughter. I think it would be good for both of us to learn to utilize these fine photographic tools. So, I'm looking for good, quality instruction, preferably in a simple easy to understand format.

Don't know the answer but what is a BF KII?
12-17-2013, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by davids8560 Quote
Don't know the answer but what is a BF KII?
Black Friday Pentax K-5II sale
12-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
An amazing Black Friday deal on a phenomenal camera that is WAY smarter than I am!

12-17-2013, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Oh! Okay! Gotcha now!
12-17-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Best 'instruction' book that I read:
Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera: Bryan Peterson: 0884798534707: Amazon.com: Books

A different kind of instuctional book once you have the basics from above would be this:
Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Boxed Set, Parts 1, 2, 3, and 4, Updated Edition: Scott Kelby: 9780321966759: Amazon.com: Books
12-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Digital Photography School
Youtube:
Photouniverse
Matt Granger
Digitalrev
12-17-2013, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

So, I'm looking for good, quality instruction, preferably in a simple easy to understand format.
Instruction is pretty broad. Are you looking for one on one tutoring, class room instruction, book learning or web tutorials?

I started with a book called "Understanding Exposure" by Brian Peterson. I think it is up to 4th edition now. Highly recommended as a basic primer. Beyond that the local community college has beginner classes and YouTube has a couple bazillion videos on everything you can think of.

I have also used a site called "Creative Live" for some instruction and what I have used has been quite good. Currently working my way through Food Photography with Andrew Scrivani.

There are also a number of good websites:
Digital Photography School - Digital Photography Tips and Tutorials
Strobist: Welcome to Strobist.
The Luminous Landscape

And here is a list of other sites: The 20 Best Websites for Learning Digital Photography

12-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Isn't there like this secret monastery way high up in the Himalayas where you go and you have to forego all pleasures for six months and meditate half the day while they bang a giant brass gong with this mysterious symbol on it, and then you learn digital photography the other half of the day, in like this real intense ninja regimen, or something, and then at the end, if you pass the final ordeal, they brand you with the symbol on the gong in middle of this big chanting ceremony where they all stand around you, and then you hallucinate from sort of opium smoke they give you, or something, and you have an ultimate vision of enlightentment, and then you go back out into the flawed, mixed-up, troublesome, and chaotic material world, as some sort of stealthy, level-headed, bare-footed insightful wiseman kung fu Pentax shaman minister or whatever?

(LOL!!!)

Last edited by DavidSKAF3; 12-17-2013 at 01:00 PM.
12-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I agree. Get Peterson's book and work through it slowly so as to grasp each concept. It is easy to get wrapped up in the wonderful photos and just flip through but resist the urge to leave it at that. He gives a lot of good info in that and the companion books. Scott Kelby's books (the 4 part series) take a different approach. He writes very short "lessons," usually one page or less, that take a given shooting situation. He tells you exactly what steps to take and settinsg to make to make a good photo, without going into a lot of theory of why you should do those things. Sort of the Cliff Notes version. Frankly, although I own all 4 volumes, I don't really think there is much for the beginner in the last 2. I'd just buy volume 1 and see if his style suits you. Many love him but many also hate his style. YMMV.
12-17-2013, 01:10 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Veteran Member

Isn't there like this secret monastery way high up in the Himalayas where you go and you have to forego all pleasures for six months and meditate half the day while they bang a giant brass gong with this mysterious symbol on it, and then you learn digital photography the other half of the day, in like this real intense ninja regimen, or something, and then at the end, if you pass the final ordeal, they brand you with the symbol on the gong in middle of this big chanting ceremony where they all stand around you, and then you hallucinate from sort of opium smoke they give you, or something, and you have an ultimate vision of enlightentment, and then you go back out into the flawed, mixed-up, troublesome, and chaotic material world, as some sort of stealthy, level-headed, bare-footed insightful wiseman kung fu Pentax shaman minister or whatever?

(LOL!!!)
They moved it online now. pentaxforums.com
12-17-2013, 01:11 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter

One thing I have learned is that there is always more to learn.

I don't know how many times I have thought it would be great if I could get that good at something. And then I do get that good, only to discover that there is another level above what I just attained, invisible from below, only noticeable after you get good enough to reach the level below. I look back at images from a year ago, 2 years ago and think how awful I was, and I'm sure if I keep learning in a few years I will look back at images from today and think how awful I was.

I am blessed to go through life with my wife and fellow photographer. We challenge each other on a daily basis and neither of us would be nearly as good without the other.
12-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
They moved it online now. pentaxforums.com

Looking at your signature line, at first I didn't understand the censored part. Then I did and I started to wonder what the last pure-bred Pentax camera is... The MX-1?
12-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Looking at your signature line, at first I didn't understand the censored part. Then I did and I started to wonder what the last pure-bred Pentax camera is... The MX-1?
Possibly? The signature image is in reference to this thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/243096-i-fixed-my-k3-tonight.html
12-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you davids8560 & crewl1 for your injection of sarcasm & humor.

Yes, I want something simple because I think I'll probably make this an elective for my daughter. Lesson format would be good.