Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2013, 04:33 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Resistence in focusing in the F50 1.4 from 'evilbay'

Hi, every one, just share an not so happy experience with you guys and hope no one will make the same mistake. Also ask for help for a fail-to-focus F50 1.4.

the situation is like:
the lens seems all good. there is much more resistence in the middle of the range when turning the focusing ring . Both my K5 and MZ-7 can not drive the lens all the way in the focus range due to the resistence. Feels like something stuck in it, just wondering if it can be fixed easily or should I turn it to a repair center?

the story is:
I bought a F50 1.4 from Ebay using the wrong credit card so I sent a message to the seller immediately hoping I could cancel the trade.(kinda stupid ha!~)
And the lens just shipped out without any reply from the seller. At the night I recieved the lens, ok, it failed to autofocus. I tried to contact with the seller about returning and he insisted that I made a lie for return because of remorse. No matter how hard I tried to convince him, he never trusted me and asked me to have it check by a authorised pentax retailer.But there is no such a store in my city(Bestbuy or Radioshack will not help),and it is also kinda absurd to send it out to the pentax repair center in AZ since it will take much long time in this holiday season. So for the mistake I made in the first place, I am now in a somehow frustrated point. I am a little bit giving up the case for the message I sent seems to be the best clue that I am returning it for remorse. Am i just being too honest?

Anyway, getting the lens into working condition should be the more important task, which seems to be not so hard or costy. Nice lens as it is. F50 1.4 should be the sharpest pentax 50mm lens, right?

Thanks for watching and advicing~

12-18-2013, 04:54 PM   #2

I think it is the metal brush that is attached to the focusing thing that has been jammed or something. You access it by digging in from the front. It is very easy to jam it up even more when removing the focus thing so be extremely careful. The focusing scale will not match so you will have to calibrate the focus.

It is the f and not the fa one right?

I think there are more skilled members that can give you better advice.
12-18-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by striker_ Quote
I think it is the metal brush that is attached to the focusing thing that has been jammed or something. You access it by digging in from the front. It is very easy to jam it up even more when removing the focus thing so be extremely careful. The focusing scale will not match so you will have to calibrate the focus.

It is the f and not the fa one right?

I think there are more skilled members that can give you better advice.
Oh,yeah, it is the F one. I tried to turn the focus ring several times and the resistence seems to remain the same. Maybe dig it should help. Just from the front , I find no place to start. Anyway, thank you~
12-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you bought it through ebay and it was listed in working condition why are you not filing a "item not as described" case? I guess I am not understanding the credit card thing.

I can tell you from experience that if you take it to a shop or repair center and have them check it, then try to file a claim with ebay they will side with the seller. Seems wrong but that is what happens. I was told that since I had someone look at it ebay could not determine if the lens was faulty to begin with or if the repair shop damaged it so they denied my claim.

I would message the seller and explain that the lens does not work and you would like to return it for refund, you will pay the shipping back. Be polite but firm and keep a record of all conversations. If he still is not willing then file a claim with ebay. Just be aware that ebay will have access to all conversations you have with the seller through their messaging system.

12-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #5

When you focus the lens to the shortest focus distance the outer will reveal 3 screws on the side. You remove them and slide it off. After that you will see 3 screws inside looking from the front. These screws holds the focus thing and the focusing scale accuracy. From here you can check if there is something stuck inside.

If you cant find anything you can try to loosen the screw a little bit and tightning them to check if it is maybe some misalignment causing the friction.

If that doesnt work go on like this:

Once these 3 screw are removed you can rotate the focus thing freely (dont lift it up!). You should be careful here because the metal brush is stuck with this thing. If you pull it straight up the screw threads of the helicoud inside will bend the tiny fins on the brush. (When i say tiny i mean it. ).

Hope this helps.
12-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #6

And yes return it if you can unless you got it very cheap.
12-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
If you bought it through ebay and it was listed in working condition why are you not filing a "item not as described" case? I guess I am not understanding the credit card thing.

I can tell you from experience that if you take it to a shop or repair center and have them check it, then try to file a claim with ebay they will side with the seller. Seems wrong but that is what happens. I was told that since I had someone look at it ebay could not determine if the lens was faulty to begin with or if the repair shop damaged it so they denied my claim.

I would message the seller and explain that the lens does not work and you would like to return it for refund, you will pay the shipping back. Be polite but firm and keep a record of all conversations. If he still is not willing then file a claim with ebay. Just be aware that ebay will have access to all conversations you have with the seller through their messaging system.
Yeah, opening a case"item not as described" is just what I have done but the seller insists on there is nothing wrong with the lens and I am just trying to get my money back because of remorse. He also states that my message sent to him about the mistake buying thing is the best evidence for buyers remorse. The credit card thing is complecated to explain. I think telling him that I don't want that lens at first turns out to be the biggest mistake. Great thanks to your advice for not to turn it to a repair center. Never thought this far before.
12-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
When you focus the lens to the shortest focus distance the outer will reveal 3 screws on the side. You remove them and slide it off. After that you will see 3 screws inside looking from the front. These screws holds the focus thing and the focusing scale accuracy. From here you can check if there is something stuck inside.

If you cant find anything you can try to loosen the screw a little bit and tightning them to check if it is maybe some misalignment causing the friction.

If that doesnt work go on like this:

Once these 3 screw are removed you can rotate the focus thing freely (dont lift it up!). You should be careful here because the metal brush is stuck with this thing. If you pull it straight up the screw threads of the helicoud inside will bend the tiny fins on the brush. (When i say tiny i mean it. ).

Hope this helps.
Thanks, I have just read about the your 'How to disassemble F50/1.7?' story. If there is no good result for the ebay case, I will try your advice, which seems just hitting the point.

12-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
And yes return it if you can unless you got it very cheap.
And 325$ is not a cheap nor an expensive price for it, right? Since it has only the focusing problem, glass and barrels are perfect.
12-18-2013, 06:29 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by phoenix_xyh123 Quote
And 325$ is not a cheap nor an expensive price for it, right?
$325 is a premium price for that lens. Too much IMHO, for it to have problems.
12-19-2013, 04:06 AM   #11

The construction of the F50 1.4 is not nearly as rugged as it seems. I was able to restore a $75 sample with a seemingly identical problem by simply squeezing the lens barrel (gently, with no more than hand strength and with no tools) at various locations until a "sweet spot" was reached and the full focusing range was achieved. This effected a permanent fix. Call it a "German field repair."
12-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeltaDagger Quote
The construction of the F50 1.4 is not nearly as rugged as it seems. I was able to restore a $75 sample with a seemingly identical problem by simply squeezing the lens barrel (gently, with no more than hand strength and with no tools) at various locations until a "sweet spot" was reached and the full focusing range was achieved. This effected a permanent fix. Call it a "German field repair."
Thanks for advice. Just had a try. Turn out to be of no improvment~maybe I just still a little away from the sweet spot~