Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2013, 08:16 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
Yes I won it. I set auction sniper to bid $25.01 Someone else tried to bid $24.50 at the last second, but I guess my $25.01 took it.

You never know, the lens may work and show no impairment the way it is.

I'm pretty sure I can take a rubber stopper and press down hard on the front glass and screw it off, similar to the 50mm f4 macro (someone did that here). Even if I break it, I'll learn something and it won't be that much in a project.
p.s. sorry Patrick, but you must have been the $24.50 bid
The way I see it, you owe me 51 cents. LOL

12-19-2013, 08:32 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm pretty sure I can take a rubber stopper and press down hard on the front glass and screw it off
I have a friend that has just bought the wrench to remove the front element ring I was going to try that. Congratulations on winning it the M 100/4 MACRO's are nice lenses
If it turns out to be lens separation I would recommend sending it to Eric. I bought an m 80-200 with oily blades. I got it for $1.00 I sent it out and for another $80.00 I have a really nice, like new zoom.
12-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #18
Site Supporter

sorry Patrick, but you must have been the $24.50 bid

No I was the $24.00 bid. I was debating on raising the bid or not and decided to let it go.
12-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #19
Site Supporter

he way I see it, you owe me 51 cents. LOL
I guess I had it wrong you won my lens so you owe me $1.00
I hope you get lots of use from it . Let me know how it turns out.
PS Welcome to the Forums

12-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
I guess I had it wrong you won my lens so you owe me $1.00
I hope you get lots of use from it . Let me know how it turns out.
PS Welcome to the Forums
The money is in the mail Patrick. LOL
First I'll just try the lens and see what affect.
Then, if there is noticeable clarity loss, I'll try a rubber stopper to get that top glass off like this link Pentax 50mm f/1.4 strip-down instructions
It may end up shattered in a hundred pieces by the time I finish monky wrenching it. I don't plan to spend more on it.
12-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #21
Pentaxian

That is the best shot I've ever seen of element separation, mentioned earlier in this thread. The piece you're holding is two lens elements, manufactured, ground polished and coated separately, then glued together. The cement sometimes fails and breaks down. Someone could dissolve the old cement, clean the elements and reglue. The elements would have to be centered, the glue would have to be optically clear and a consistent thickness. I have never tried it. Maybe some day I'll be brave.
12-19-2013, 11:43 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Someone on this Forum has dissolved and replaced the glue, called Canada Balsam. Try a search.
12-20-2013, 01:31 AM   #23
Site Supporter

I recently won one these on eBay that also had element separation. It looked like oil spots on the inside of the lens. I sent it to Eric and it is being repaired right now.
He told me this kind of repair can result in lens element cracking or chipping during the chemical boiling process to separate the lens elements.

So there is a risk of it being a total loss... This happens to about 1 out of 5... I am hoping for the best!

I have a lot more in mine than $25! lucky find....

12-20-2013, 06:08 AM   #24

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by skid2964 Quote
I recently won one these on eBay that also had element separation. It looked like oil spots on the inside of the lens. I sent it to Eric and it is being repaired right now.
He told me this kind of repair can result in lens element cracking or chipping during the chemical boiling process to separate the lens elements.

So there is a risk of it being a total loss... This happens to about 1 out of 5... I am hoping for the best!

I have a lot more in mine than $25! lucky find....
Thanks everyone for your help. It looks exactly as skid2964 described -- oil spots that appear to be on the inside of the lens. This repair sounds like a complicated process so I'll just leave it alone. I hope things work out for you guys. I bought mine off ebay and the seller refunded me the money.
12-20-2013, 06:32 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
When I get my $25 lens ($32 with shipping), I'll take some photos and post them here. It will be interesting to see whether or not the image is affected.
12-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A friend told me to mark the lens and make sure put it back the same way to preserve the focal point of the lens. Is that true? I thought lens was just circular and that didn't matter.
12-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Once you unscrew everything, the focus position can get lost and "infinity" will end up in the wrong place. (Infinity is somewhat adjustable cause it needs to be -- this is done by moving the outer ring relative to the inner stuff once it is detached.) Set the focus to infinity before you start.
12-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm going to give it a go. Camera repair told me:

For liquid/corrosion/cement damage, it is best if we have a technician inspect the unit in an effort to provide an accurate estimate. The cost of repair once inspected could easily go past the $25.00 you put towards this unit when purchased. You may want to consider a whole unit replacement. We will charge $10 for this inspection that will be put towards your repair cost or will cover the return shipping if you choose not to have you unit repaired. By following this link, it will provide shipping information to send in for evaluation. Thanks for considering United Camera for your service needs and have a great weekend.

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 12-23-2013 at 10:43 AM.
12-24-2013, 05:26 AM   #29
Site Supporter

I am glad to hear that you are considering getting it repaired. My heart sank when you talked about possibly destroying the lens in an effort to repair it yourself. Made me wish that I had upped my bid. Now not so much. I would still liked to have won it, but at least it is being cared for. For that I say thanks, and Merry Christmas
12-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ok, based on these 3 photos, do you guys think the lens is producing what it should produce even with the crud on the inside of last element

Attachments didn't work, so see 3 photos in this thread

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/120-general-technical-troubleshooting/246...ml#post2626562