Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
Closed Account

autcion Pentax lens has fungus

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm looking at a lens on the auction site that has fungus on inside of lens. I suppose that's why only 1 bid on it.
Is it possible to send a lens to a technician like United Camera and get fungus cleaned off? Or should one avoid such lens.

12-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
Pentaxian

It depends! Which lens, how bad is it, etc. Link?
12-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #3
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
It depends! Which lens, how bad is it, etc. Link?
Pentax M SMC Macro 100mm F 4 Lens Pleae Read K Mount 60 Day Guarrantee | eBay
12-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the fungus is indeed just on the front element, or the element behind, on this prime lens thats the easiest to get at and clean. likely to need a lens spanner/substitute lens spanner tho
For me thats a DIY...but you never know a friendly techie might take it on and do it economically.

12-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Hard to tell but those whitish kind of things will often clean right off. And that shouldn't be a hard lens to take apart. I'd sent it to Eric Hendrickson, not United Camera. I'm guessing it would be about $70 to clean based on other work he's done for me, but of course that's just a guess. So there is always some risk with a lens like that, especially if you need to pay someone else to clean it (even if you can return the lens, you'll still have to pay for that labor successful or not). Most of the time they aren't that bad and can be made good as new. Other times the fungus will get in between sealed elements or start pitting the glass and then it isn't worth the bother. But even if you just kill the fungus and clean it best you can, the image quality will often not be degraded that you would notice. (Again, depends on which elements and how bad it is.) But I've got lenses with remnants of fungus and the images are the same as from a mint lens. (Make sure to keep the lens dry going forward.)

So, worth the gamble at the right price...
12-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #6
Closed Account

Original Poster
Hard to tell but those whitish kind of things will often clean right off. And that shouldn't be a hard lens to take apart. I'd sent it to Eric Hendrickson, not United Camera. I'm guessing it would be about $70 to clean based on other work he's done for me, but of course that's just a guess. So there is always some risk with a lens like that, especially if you need to pay someone else to clean it (even if you can return the lens, you'll still have to pay for that labor successful or not). Most of the time they aren't that bad and can be made good as new. Other times the fungus will get in between sealed elements or start pitting the glass and then it isn't worth the bother. But even if you just kill the fungus and clean it best you can, the image quality will often not be degraded that you would notice. (Again, depends on which elements and how bad it is.) But I've got lenses with remnants of fungus and the images are the same as from a mint lens. (Make sure to keep the lens dry going forward.)

So, worth the gamble at the right price...
I've never taken a lens apart. But with a lens at this price, I wouldn't worry about trashing the lens in the process. Are there any movies or pages on taking apart a Pentax smc lens.
12-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will bid if I think I can clean it myself. Getting it done is not too costly but right now you're approaching the cost of a lens in better shape. It's $24 now, shipping, say $70 is right for cleaning, already over $100. If one of these was in great shape and $120, you wouldn't have any repair surprises and you could use it right away.

12-19-2013, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This lens is prone to the cemented element being cloudy with age. As long as it is just slight, it has no noticeable effect. It may not be economical for repair though, even if parts are available. This is one of my most favoured lenses.
12-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
I've never taken a lens apart. But with a lens at this price, I wouldn't worry about trashing the lens in the process. Are there any movies or pages on taking apart a Pentax smc lens.
Most of them are fairly easy (the M series with no electrical stuff in them), but that macro is probably slightly more complicated. Depends which elements you need to get to. If you send it to a guy like Eric, he'll clean everything, make sure aperture is working good, etc etc. Don't get too excited about the current price, I'm sure it will go for more, although the seller also has bad feedback so that will help keep it down as well. It's a gamble...
12-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
There are several articles here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/114-maintenance-repair-articles/179884-pe...-database.html

Each lens might have its own quirks. Unfortunately no one has done an article on the M100/4. I have taken apart my M50/4 and it's different than I expected but not that hard. I usually look at the auction photos for warning signs that the lens has been taken apart before, filter ring dents that would make disassembly difficult, and an optical diagram to see where the elements are. In the M100/4, there are only 5 elements in 3 groups, so you only have 2 internal surfaces to clean.
12-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
arnold is correct.

Looking at the last picture in the listing, I can see that this is not a fungus and that it's aged cement that has gone cloudy. The affected cemented pair is the first group in this lens and very easy to get at. However, unless you know how to separate, clean and re-cement using proper optical glue yourself, it's not going to be economical to send it in for repair.

Last edited by tom1803; 12-19-2013 at 04:35 PM.
12-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tom1803 Quote
I can see that this is not a fungus and that it's aged cement that has gone cloudy. The affected cemented pair is the first group in this lens
I sent a similar lens (the A version) to Eric for repair of a separated lens pair. He did a wonderful job, cost was I think $150 about. If it's just fungus cleaning would be less. He told me he had to get the chemicals for the repair from Pentax.

I would carefully check sold listings on the auction site, not listings, sold listings. Then take an average, add in shipping to and from the repair shop plus the repair cost ($70 to $170?) and see if you get a number that makes sense.

For expensive or rarely seen lenses repair is very cost effective, for common ones like the M 100m f/4 it is often better to just find a good one and pay the going price rather than take a chance.
12-19-2013, 08:06 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was the one bid. I lost did you win it. The pictures actually looked more like Haze. I figure for $24.00 I would try cleaning it myself. Or if lens separation I figured it might be worth sending to Eric to be repaired

Last edited by patrick9; 12-19-2013 at 08:13 PM.
12-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm sure it will go for more
It went for $25.00
12-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #15
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
I was the one bid. I lost did you win it. The pictures actually looked more like Haze. I figure for $24.00 I would try cleaning it myself. Or if lens separation I figured it might be worth sending to Eric to be repaired
Yes I won it. I set auction sniper to bid $25.01 Someone else tried to bid $24.50 at the last second, but I guess my $25.01 took it.

You never know, the lens may work and show no impairment the way it is.

I'm pretty sure I can take a rubber stopper and press down hard on the front glass and screw it off, similar to the 50mm f4 macro (someone did that here). Even if I break it, I'll learn something and it won't be that much in a project.