Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2013, 10:35 PM   #1

Pentax K-5 + Tamron AF 17-50 F/2,8 focus issue

Hi All,

I have quite big problem with my K-5 + Tamron AF 17-50 F/2,8 LD XR Di2 SP. I can not focus properly with any aperture. Objects are quite blurred. I tried to fix it by AF Fine Adjustment but it did not help. My camera still has a problem with focusing in particular at the lowest aperture (2,8). I think that lens is damaged.

At this moment I am not able to help myself and I need advice where is the best service for Tamron and Pentax near Miami, because I think the best and also the only option is to visit specialized service. I am on holiday in Pompano Beach now. Could someone please recommend me really good service and technical support around Miami (Fort Lauderdale, Pompano Beach) for Pentax and Tamron? (website, address and so on)

I apologize for this thread. I tried to find something with google but I have no idea about camera services in USA. ( I am from Europe :-/ )

In advance thank you very much for your hints and tips.

Thomas

12-19-2013, 11:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax service is in Arizona. CRIS Camera here is there website: https://www.criscam.com/

If you are looking for someplace to possibly get things fixed while you are on vacation, I'm not sure that is possible. Do you have another lens along that you can use or at least test to make sure the camera is OK and the problems is the lens?
12-19-2013, 11:48 PM   #3

My Tamron also developed severe backfocusing where no amount of fine adjustment could rectify. As soon as I got it repaired under warranty I sold the lens. As jatrax suggested use another lens to confirm that it's not the body but the lens that is the problem.
12-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #4

Original Poster
Well, problem is that I have only one lens with me :-(

I spoke with friend about this issue yesterday and he told me that lens is not literally broken but the lens must be recalibrated again. I'm pretty sure that the body is not damaged because 2 months ago i used camera body with other different lens and everything was ok.

So only option what I have is find some service center near Miami where they can help me with recalibration or something similar.

12-20-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I honestly do not think you will find a shop locally that will fix your lens. Most local shops, if they will take on the project, would just send it on to Tamron. But here is the Tamron dealer locator page: Dealer Locator, Tamron USA, Inc. If one is close to you that would be the first stop.

Also, here is the Tamron service website: Tamron Service They might be able to help you either with expedited service or location of someone who could help.

Personally, I would look for a local camera shop that has Pentax lenses, preferably used and stop in and ask if you can test your camera using one of their lenses. If that works then you know the issue is the lens not the camera. I would then purchase a used replacement, even the Pentax DA 18-55 just so I have a lens on the camera during holiday. Then I would worry about getting the Tamron fixed.

I have no idea how long your holiday is but if less than a week or so I think your chances of getting the Tamron fixed and back in short order are slim at best. Might be best to just find a replacement locally and get the Tamron repaired when you get home.

If you can find a local shop you might even ask if they would be willing to give (or rent) you a lens for the remainder of your holiday.
02-01-2014, 04:48 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Hi guys! I've had a bad relationship with Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 myself. I went to the local camera shop to buy it, tested it (they had 2 pieces for K mount) and both of them had severe issues regarding the AF. Namely, at certain focal lengths, my camera display showed MF, and the lens wouldn't autofocus at all. I did buy one of them (it was on a 25% off promotion) and left it right at their service's desk. Got a call from them a week later, saying they couldn't solve it and offered a complete refund. I told them I want the lens in good working condition and they told me to wait a couple of weeks for a new shipping to come. When it did, they invited me to the shop to choose a similar lens. I went there and tested one sample al ALL focal lengths, it worked just fine and I took it home. After only 3 months and minimal use it does the same as the first one. I'll send it back for service and keep you posted if anybody's interested.
02-06-2014, 06:27 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Do you mean you can't autofocus properly, or can't manually focus properly. The former is a relatively minor issue, while the latter is more than a re-calibration issue. Do there appear to be any loose elements in the lens?

On the camera end, you can't focus manually, either through the viewfinder, or via live view?

02-11-2014, 02:09 PM   #8

@ tibbitts

I can use manual focus just fine, the problem is the lens doesn't autofocus anymore. I set the camera switch to AF-S or AF-C and the main display shows MF. And, of course, the lens does nothing. It's like the camera doesn't know it uses an AF lens. Checked the contacts on both camera and lens, they seem just fine. Forgot to mention: it's not my camera, I've tried the Tammy on several other cameras and got the same nasty behaviour.
02-11-2014, 08:41 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnnyBravo Quote
I set the camera switch to AF-S or AF-C and the main display shows MF.
Interesting. I just picked up a used one and it did the same thing, just once. I cleaned and re-mounted it and haven't seen it happen again yet though.
02-13-2014, 10:43 AM   #10

Good luck!

Well, I'm happy for you! I'll have to find the time to get mine serviced, because it's an incredibly sharp lens (when it works) at a very good price.
02-15-2014, 09:49 PM   #11

I too have this lens and on my k-x at wide apertures the focus is off. Only stopping down solves this problem. On my k-5 however, it seems to be better.