Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Ricoh P f2 50mm on Pentax K30

Hello,

I am now a bit confused about the compatibility of the Ricoh lens on the Pentx DSLR camera. I have a Pentax K30 and a Ricoh P f2 50mm lens. According to the infomation in the forum, it should work with manuel aperture seting. But as I put the lens on my K30 it does not work. It can not get the aperture value. Does anybody know why?

12-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
See this article:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

Also, be careful with the "Ricoh pin", if your lens has one. Run a search about this issue before mounting the lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #3
Pentaxian

When using manual lenses the aperture, even with A or P set on the lens, will not show an aperture all you will see is F--. I use Ricoh lenses on my K50, before I tried them with the Ricoh pins still on the lens I checked both the lens pins and the camera body pin to make sure attaching the lens wasn't going to depress to where it would get stuck. Although recently just to be on the safe side I removed the Ricoh pins, It's easy to do. I would opt on the side of caution and remove the Ricoh pin first, then there won't be any possibility of it hanging up. You can also use Sears lenses for Pentax or Ricoh mount they are mfg by Rikenon and you can use JC Penny lenses they were made by Makinon I believe. You can find adapters to fit most any Manual lens type.
12-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your Rikenon works like a Pentax-K or Pentax-M lens.
  1. Change camera menu setting to allow for manual aperture ring
  2. Move the aperture ring off the "P" setting and use it to set the desire aperture
  3. Use M-mode and the green button to meter the appropriate shutter speed
  4. Retain these readings until either the light changes or the subject changes or you wish to use a different aperture

Your lens, like all Rikenon P lenses has the dreaded "Ricoh Pin". There are two types of Ricoh pin. The dangerous one is a spring-loaded metal pin. The benign one is a spring-loaded ball. If you can remove the lens, yours is probably the benign type. Double-check to be sure. If it is the pin type, don't mount the lens on your camera until you have it removed.

I own the Rikenon P 50/2 and it is a decent lens. Despite the plastic build, the controls are smooth and easy to work and as you may have noticed, it is tiny. Optically, it is very sharp.

Steve

12-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Yeah, I think you do have to remove the pin from P lenses, unlike many of the third-party lenses that use a spring-loaded button. The P setting is not the same as an A setting and will not provide aperture info to the camera, so these work like M lenses and use must use (M)anual mode and green-button metering. The P setting should just be considered an extra stop (although it may lock into there with a button) -- they usually continue stopping down when set there, so if the smallest listed aperture on the lens is f/16, putting it on P is probably equivalent to f/22...
12-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Yeah, I think you do have to remove the pin from P lenses, unlike many of the third-party lenses that use a spring-loaded button.
My Rikenon P 50/2 has the spring-loaded ball (benign) version of the pin.

A few notes on the Ricoh pin:
  • Found in all Rikenon P lenses from Ricoh
  • Found on all Ricoh-specific third-party lenses (often marked KR, PKR, or KPR)
  • The dangerous spring-loaded pin type is found on both Rikenon P and third-party lenses
  • The benign spring-loaded ball* is also found on both Rikenon P and third-party lenses
  • Some third-party lenses support both Ricoh P mount and Pentax-A contact mount
  • It is best to physically inspect any third-party K-mount lens with an "A" or "P" on the aperture ring for the presence of the Ricoh pin.
  • Pentax-brand lenses never have the Ricoh pin
  • Other Rikenon lenses (XR Rikenon, Rikenon (no P), and Auto-Rikenon) without the green "P" on the aperture ring NEVER have the Ricoh pin
One last point is the "P" by itself does not provide program mode or Tv mode functionality on any "A" contact Pentax body.

Steve

* The ball is benign because its penetration into the AF well on Pentax AF bodies is relatively shallow and it easily rolls up and out of the well on lens dismount. The pin type, on the other hand, springs into the well and has no means to retract on lens mount. The result is that the lens becomes stuck on the camera with few options for satisfactory removal.

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-20-2013 at 02:18 PM.
12-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
My Rikenon P 50/2 has the spring-loaded ball (benign) version of the pin.

A few notes on the Ricoh pin:
  • Found in all Rikenon P lenses from Ricoh
  • Found on all Ricoh-specific third-party lenses
  • The dangerous spring-loaded pin type is found on both Rikenon P and third-party lenses
  • The benign spring-loaded ball is also found on both Rikenon P and third-party lenses
  • Some third-party lenses support both Ricoh P mount and Pentax-A contact mount
  • It is best to physically inspect any third-party lens with an "A" or "P" on the aperture ring for the presence of the Ricoh pin.
  • Pentax-brand lenses never have the Ricoh pin
  • Other Rikenon lenses (XR Rikenon, Rikenon (no P), and Auto-Rikenon) without the green "P" on the aperture ring NEVER have the Ricoh pin
One last point is the "P" by itself does not provide program mode or Tv mode functionality on any "A" contact Pentax body.

Steve
Aha. I have a Rikenon P 50/1.7 and the pin is gone. I can't remember if I removed it or not, but probably. (I wouldn't have done it unless it was actually necessary.) Side-note: Rikenon XR lenses are really nice, just as good the Pentax-M equivalents. All metal, high IQ. The Ps are plastic, although probably optically just as good...