Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2013, 10:39 PM   #1

Battery Questions

I just got my first Pentax, a K50. I am now on a quest to find spare batteries as I absolutely hate being out and have the battery die in the middle of a 500 picture project that I traveled 100 miles to nowhere to shoot. (And usually its my oversight that I grab the dead rechargeable or forget to plug in the charger the night before). Anyway, I have an adapter for the AA batteries for my camera, but I would like to know what is the most suitable type of AA rechargeable for this camera. It is time to replace my rechargeable as it is, more and more of them are dying quick.
I want to get something that lasts for awhile both on the shelf and in use.... What are your suggestions?

Also any K50 users out there that may have any heads up on the camera you would like to share?

Thanks
JD

12-20-2013, 11:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
sanyo eneloop
12-20-2013, 11:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Everybody likes the Eneloops.

But also Keep some Energizer Ultimate Lithiums in your camera bag and in your glove compartment.

They will stay fresh unused for years.
12-20-2013, 11:49 PM   #4
Site Supporter

+1 for the the Eneloops. I just recently made the jump from 35mm slide film to the K-50 and was so impressed with eneloops I ordered 4 more as backups. Make sure you buy them with the charger, it works on 110 & 220v. I can also attest to the energizer ultimate lithiums, I've had a pair in a point & shoot digital for 5 years that still work after taking almost a 1,000 snapshots.

12-21-2013, 05:30 AM   #5

Everyday rechargeables: Eneloops.
Emergency backup: Energizer Ultimate Lithium.

Also get a quality charger that charges cells individually. Cheap chargers will charge batteries in pairs, either 2 or 4 at once, but not 1 or 3. I use the MAHA C9000 at home. A good travel charger is hard to find. Even most 'brand name' travel chargers only charge in pairs. If you're having trouble finding the Eneloop charger, the Sony BCG34HLD4KN package includes a good quality travel charger and four low-discharge cells that might be rebranded Eneloops.

Never mix different brands, capacities, or ages of cells. I mark all of my cells on receipt with a set number (for each four cells) and which cell within the set (1-4). The cells are connected in series to form the battery and the performance of the battery is limited by the weakest cell. Cells used differently will age differently, so the idea is to keep all the cells in a set together as they age.
12-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks everyone... did some looking at Eneloops and like what I say, so ordered a dozen and a charger... If they do as well as I hope I will need another dozen for all my toys...
Appreciate the input...
12-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
Anybody try these? Amazon.com: Wasabi Power Battery (2-Pack) and Charger for Pentax D-LI109 and Pentax K-r, K-30, K-50, K-500: Camera & Photo

I'm using them in my K-500 (same as K-50) I really don't like NMH batteries at all. They never last. Regular Alkalines are worthless in these power hungry cameras -- new ones lastest for 6 shots. and the Lithium Ion Penlights (non rechargeable) work great and last a long time, but are not too cheap. But you can get four of them for a little more than $5 here Amazon.com: Energizer AA Lithium Batteries 4 count, Lasts 9 Times Longer: Health & Personal Care
Hope this helps. I think these cameras are not efficient because they use the back LCD as an info screen. I've had Canon Eos cameras that would go almost 1,000 shots on one lithium Ion rechageable battery.

Don...
12-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DesertCruiser Quote
Anybody try these? Amazon.com: Wasabi Power Battery (2-Pack) and Charger for Pentax D-LI109 and Pentax K-r, K-30, K-50, K-500: Camera & Photo

I really don't like NMH batteries at all. They never last.
That is true for most NiMH batteries but I think you haven't tried Sanyo eneloop yet and/or you don't have a good charger. With my K-r or K-30 I actually get more shots out of the eneloop AA batteries than I do with the Pentax Lithium Ion battery.
The Sanyo eneloop are something of a revolution in NiMH and were unique when they first appeared. The technology is now used by some other brands as well but I'm not quite sure which and whether they measure up to the original Sanyo eneloop.

12-25-2013, 06:41 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Here is a more extensive post I did on batteries for the K-r, K-30, K-50, K-500...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/228221-battery-deple...ml#post2569648