Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2013, 10:24 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just to give you an idea what can be done in post-processing with RAW files (not examples of PP mastery, just examples):
This is exported from Lightroom without any extra processing:

Then I used one of Lightroom's presets:

and finally, this is an example where I fiddled with exposure, noise reduction, white balance and sharpening (IIRC):

12-22-2013, 04:09 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
and finally, this is an example where I fiddled with exposure, noise reduction, white balance and sharpening
Hi

That is some Christmas tree, you must have spent hours decorating it. I like it.

Sorry I could not resist, but you have not exhausted the RAW's true potential. I don't run Lightroom but I thought it would give you better results. For people who shy away from RAW it is important to know better results are to be had. To put up a good example then is important. Pleas forgive me for my directness.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 11-01-2014 at 04:19 PM.
12-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
you must have spent hours decorating it
I have to give my wife credit for that, there is no way I would spend that much time on something that only stays up for a month.
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Pleas forgive me for my directness
You are forgiven, I don't mind at all. You did a very good job of correcting the colours, and the JPEG artifacts in the speaker cloth, wall on the left side and the glider chair illustrate why post-processing on JPEG files is not as good as working with RAW files.
12-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
...and the JPEG artifacts in the speaker cloth, wall on the left side and the glider chair illustrate why post-processing on JPEG files is not as good as working with RAW files.
Thanks,

And you are so right, I hope we have demonstrated the point.

Have a lovely Christmas

Greetings

12-22-2013, 08:28 PM   #20

Original Poster
Great pictures guys great examples... I did play with the RAW a little today, but more still just trying to learn my camera. I cannot believe how much I have forgotten, much less how much there is to learn...
01-07-2014, 08:58 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The great thing about shooting RAW is that you always have a choice. You can go back to jpeg whenever you want to, or do a combination depending on your needs. I suggest that if you are on a steep learning curve, switch to jpeg while you are trying a few things out just to get to know your camera. You can quickly load the images into the pc to take a quick look at your work without the extra step of developing in RAW.

Back when I first learned my K-R, if I had to learn how to process RAW along with it, I would have been overwhelmed.

By the way, I am not a fan of post-processing "in-camera" because seeing your images on the full screen of a pc gives you better judgment as to the quality of the photo as it was shot before you do any adjustments to it.
01-08-2014, 07:33 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I agree, shooting in raw and maintaining all of the information that goes with it allows one to always go back and redo their processing and achieve better results as one evolves with their post processing techniques. Even if it is saved with ACR changes those can be reverted back to original. Granted you can keep the original Jpegs also but IMO I would rather have more to work with than less. Every one has a learning curve with post processing whether it be raw or jpeg, it just makes more sense to me if you have that curve to learn then work what has the most latitude and information especially today with all of the great software to work with. You don't have to process every photo and the software engine should show you a preview of your original raw file to see if that is one you care to work with at the time or one you may want to come back to later.

The only time I shoot in jpeg is when I want to play with some of the filters or color modes, even then I open those jpegs in ACR make my changes, import into Photoshop for additional adjustments and save those changes as PSD. That way I still have the original jpeg file and can revert any changes I make in ACR to the original file as well as make any changes in my saved PSD file later.

This is my thoughts on it and I put this out as food for thought, there is no right or wrong way it is just a matter of how one chooses to develop their work flow skill set.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 01-08-2014 at 07:39 AM.