Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2013, 05:27 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Release while charging

Maybe someone can help me out here. Im probably being slow but I got a different result than expected when shooting (experimenting) with the K3 just now. I set the autofocus to continuous, the mode to Tv 500th, iso to auto 100 to 800 range, aperture is f2.8 max. Using drive mode medium and a metz 58 af ii set to pttl hss. A majority of the shots were as expected but when the drive speed exceeded the recharge speed of the flash, the camera changed to its own plan and altered shutter speed to several seconds, aperture wide open and forgot about the flash.It did start firing the flash again after I released the shutter button and pressesd it again. All possible parameters are set to focus and flash priority. Ie release while charging is off. Is this normal ? Maybe charging priority does not work on external flash ? Thanks.

12-22-2013, 01:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Try setting it release while charging to on and see what happens?
May be it's backwards ?
I have mine set to off as I never been able to think of a situation where if I was using the flash It would be so urgent that I took a non flash version, but then I never do burst flashes, hss at weddings some times to pop a bit of extra light and keep the shutter speed high for a action type shot but not in continuous
12-22-2013, 06:39 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Hi ADWB tried that thanks, we have answered the question, that when set to hi speed flash sync, things change and the no release until charged does not work. It seems to fire once at the correct power, once with whats left and then switches to an auto mode and tries to get the shot with no flash (I cant believe Im talking about a camera software system here !). So I think the positive thing to come out of this is that the no release until charged works perfectly as long as high speed sync is not used. Thanks for your help.