Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Spots on sensor

Ordered by my K-01 last January and got it in March. Got spots on the sensor a few months later. Used in-camera sensor cleaning, got a Rocket blower, all with no luck. Later, I also read threads about instances of oil (presumably shutter) on sensors. Is there some way to tell whether it's oil, or dust? If oil, is it covered under warranty? Thanks Banskojoe

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
12-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wow! Bummer! Really? Can't help, but very interested in what they will say.
12-21-2013, 05:52 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sensor Clean?

Hello Banskojoe,
Looks like dust to me, but there's a way to find out for sure (besides taking it in for a professional cleaning).
First, you've performed two of the four basic sensor-maintenance steps, the next two will cost some money, but still are cheaper than a professional clean.
1) Activate dust removal on 'Start-up".
2) Use Rocket Blower regularly
3) Buy a good quality sensor-cleaning brush and follow directions for use. $25-$40 online
4) Purchase a set of sensor-cleaning swabs and follow directions for use. Price varies with quanity, roughly $2.00-$4.00 per cleaning.
There are lots of tutorials online, Google 'DSLR Sensor Cleaning'. It's not difficult at all, just takes minutes to complete.
Tips; When you get the sensor-cleaning brush, blast the bristles with the Rocket Blower for a few seconds. This generates a tiny electrical charge and those pesky dust motes stick to the brush! It works, believe it or not. Clean the brush the same way after use and store in an airtight baggie.
Do Not, repeat, DO NOT use compressed air to clean anything inside the camera. All the camera and sensor makers warn against this.
Try to clean the purple/green part of the sensor only, not the black frame around it. This frame usually has lubricant from the mirror/shutter on it and will contaminate the bristles, which eventually drags the gook onto the sensor.
I use a small flashlight and magnifying glass for cleaning, there is also a sensor cleaning loupe available, $50-$100.
You can purchase all the above materials from B+H or Adorama online.
If all else fails, send it in for a professional cleaning. Steps 1 - 4 will eliminate 99% of the problems, but occasionally there actually is oil or stains.
Good luck!
Ron
12-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Banskojoe Quote
Ordered by my K-01 last January and got it in March. Got spots on the sensor a few months later. Used in-camera sensor cleaning, got a Rocket blower, all with no luck. Later, I also read threads about instances of oil (presumably shutter) on sensors. Is there some way to tell whether it's oil, or dust? If oil, is it covered under warranty? Thanks Banskojoe
I'd try something a little stronger to see if it's dirt or oil.
If you can't blow the stuff off, then wet clean the sensor and see what happens.
Oil can't be blown off, but can be wet cleaned.
As an aside, I use canned gas for routine cleanings. People have kittens about this, but I've had no problems.