Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Pc connection and pictures wont take

My k30 is about 3-4 month old and ive noticed a few problems with it, 1- when connected to my pc it dropes in/out depending on if im holding it, tipping it to the side ect its almost like looking for phone reception, moving it around trying to stay connected. ...

2- another issue im having is ( its happend 3 times) ill turn it on, go to take a picture and it does its focus thing all set and .....freezes, wont take the pic wont switch to view mode wont do a thing. Its fully charged and I have to turn it on/off twice before it works again

12-21-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The connection problem sounds like a mechanical issue with the cord, or socket.
12-21-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alouise Quote
...when connected to my pc it dropes in/out depending on if im holding it, tipping it to the side ect its almost like looking for phone reception, moving it around trying to stay connected. ...
This is the first time I'm seeing someone report a problem like this.

You could check whether it is the USB cable plug at the camera side by (gently) manipulating it instead of moving the camera. It could also be the cable which is at fault. Try bending it at several places when you encounter the problem again. Seems unlikely that something inside the camera is moving.

BTW, I initially also used the cable to transfer photos, but now exclusively remove the card from the camera, download the images, delete the images, and then return the card to the camera. Works a lot quicker for me.

2- another issue im having is ( its happend 3 times) ill turn it on, go to take a picture and it does its focus thing all set and .....freezes, wont take the pic wont switch to view mode wont do a thing. Its fully charged and I have to turn it on/off twice before it works again
A few Pentax cameras have a faulty mainboard that makes them behave in weird manners (freezing, mirror flipping, ...). You may find that the issue will disappear once your accumulator aged a bit as sometimes these issues are caused by faulty voltage regulators on the mainboard that cannot cope with a fully charged accumulator.

Have you upgraded your firmware yet?
Unless you have the latest version installed, I'd download the latest firmware for your K-30 and see whether that helps. Firmware upgrades often contain "silent" fixes so even if a certain bug is not documented in the firmware description, it could still be addressed.

I would certainly keep an eye on the freezing issue. If it persists, you should send in your camera to have it serviced within the warranty period.
12-21-2013, 11:02 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
No I haven't upgraded firmware thank you I might get on that now

12-21-2013, 11:11 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I would certainly keep an eye on the freezing issue
It's pretty easy to isolate or eliminate the cable as your problem, just move the end that goes in your camera a bit and see if that causes a problem. If you can't recreate the freezing by jiggling the cable ends (the part that plugs into your computer is much larger and much less likely to be a problem) then as Class A says, get your camera in for warranty service. If they can't replicate the problem at the warranty service depot, at least it will be documented, so if it fails completely for this reason shortly after the warranty period is over, you have a case for getting service covered under warranty.
12-21-2013, 11:17 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I have an inkling its my laptop ( very clumsy with items) ive dropped it 101 times but ill def check out the cord its on the list of things to do :P

12-21-2013, 11:17 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Freezing wise it hasnt done it for a month or so but ill keep my eye on it

12-21-2013, 11:58 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Just fiddling qith the cord.. seems its the connection to the camera it seems I need to push it in or down to connect

12-22-2013, 12:00 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I just took the card out and stuck it in the comp no fuss.. I think ill just do this in future

12-22-2013, 12:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Freezing wise it hasnt done it for a month or so but ill keep my eye on it
Make sure to get it checked before warranty expires.
12-22-2013, 12:55 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yeah definitely will