Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2013, 11:09 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax X-5 Freezing

Just bought my wife and X-5 for Christmas... It has frozen 6 times on write within the first 30 or so shots. We had to pull the batteries each time. It was using a new memory card, so I put in an older one that works fine in my K-5. The 3 shots with the new card were OK, and it froze again on write (4th shot). Then I shot about 6 more after pulling the batteries and it froze again.

It looks like I have a dud. Agree?

12-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Or it could be the batteries. Have you tried a different set or a different type?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #3

Original Poster
Just did... Froze again on the second shot... I am losing credibility with my wife on my selection of Cameras. She wanted a Fuji or Panasonic bridge camera. The price plus good ratings sold me on the X-5, but she thinks I picked it now because I was blinded by my love for my K-5.
12-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Have you tried formatting the card on the camera prior to taking any shots?

12-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The only problem my wife has been having with hers is doing her own post processing. I'm getting tired, but she's starting to find her way around. She just swapped her desktop wallpaper with a shot she took.

I would second the motion to format the card in camera, and try again. Claire's using rechargeable batteries and they work okay. The batteries you are using could be part of the problem.
12-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mcgerm Quote
Just bought my wife and X-5 for Christmas ... It looks like I have a dud. Agree?
My brother-in-law recently bought a X-5, and took multiple family Christmas pictures today without any problems at all.

Any chance of exchanging it? It really is a fine camera, and shares the similar menus and functions of our Pentax DSLRs.
12-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aremmes Quote
Have you tried formatting the card on the camera prior to taking any shots?
I formatted the new card and shot 6 pictures and a Panorama. So far no freezing. Tomorrow's Christmas #2 with my sister should be a good confirming test.

12-26-2013, 04:18 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The only problem my wife has been having with hers is doing her own post processing. I'm getting tired, but she's starting to find her way around. She just swapped her desktop wallpaper with a shot she took.

I would second the motion to format the card in camera, and try again. Claire's using rechargeable batteries and they work okay. The batteries you are using could be part of the problem.
No the 2nd Christmas with my sister did not prove out the formatting of the card... It has been freezing repeatedly.